The "Don't Waste Your Time and/or Money To See This Film" Thread

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bookworm616, May 13, 2011.

1. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

That's why they raised the limit of the Best Picture nominee category to "up to 10" as everyone was ticked that The Dark Knight wasn't nominated.

If that movie came out today, things may have been different.

2. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

No. Absolutely not. It was an overrated B-average superhero flick that tried too hard to be taken seriously. DC has never had a strong record on live action superhero movies and this one, was just...a mesh of trying too hard. And the only reason why Heath Ledger won an Oscar (posthumously) for his performance as The Joker was because he died prematurely and people were fussing over him. That's like giving Paul Walker an award for his role in the Fast & Furious movies because he died suddenly. And you know those movies were mindless action flicks, though the Expendables could take that title now.

- Christian Bale was not a great Batman, nor Bruce Wayne. He looked more like a psychopath in a suit than a superhero.

- The Joker wasn't all that great.

- The setting was bland and story wasn't anything worth noting.

- The other cast members were strongly forgettable.

The Dark Knight trilogy was just average at best. Don't get me wrong, I love DC, but I'm not blinded by fanaticism like the rest of the loons that like to elevate that average movie as though it's a huge achievement.

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Because of the human factor. He was relatable. Kind of my issue with superman, I get he's suppose to be a symbol but it always bugged me that a being who doesn't need to really eat or sleep not worry about pain has the nerve to judge people. It makes for less of a compelling character. No real stakes.

4. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Superman's case is more than just the idea of representing hope. But, on a personal level, he's trying to find a balance between home vs. heritage, initially rejecting his Kryptonian identity as he's dealing with what would happen if people find out who he is. Also, he's dealing with people like Lex Luthor, who views him as a threat because if people were to rely so heavily on an otherworldly being, then the human race would become weak and frail. Plus, he is fighting based on what his parents taught him as humanistic/human-like qualities.

But I do agree about relatedness regarding Spider-Man, let alone much of the Marvel universe. With him, he does represent more of the person who is growing up fast and taking greater responsibility, especially at such a young age. Quick to adapt and bold at the same time, it's no wonder he's considered one of the greatest superheroes of all time. Strong and powerful, but still vulnerable and human and deal with everyday shit.

5. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

The Watchmen was the best superhero movie.

6. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I stand corrected about spiderman 2.

Watchmen is so far out of the rests league that it would be a joke to even try to compare them.

7. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Blade bitches

8. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

9. Bookworm616

It pains me to say it, as I liked the first one, but Jack Reacher: Never Go Back.

Terribly written. Boring. Confusing. Nonsensical.

Don't waste your time.

10. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

So I take it you didn't like it.

11. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

That's so disappointing to hear! We tried to get tickets online at like 7 theaters last night but the available seating was horrible at all of them (nearly sold out across the board). I'm pretty easy to please with movies (I go more for the atmosphere, the Vietnamese tacos and the fried artichoke hearts with lemon herb aioli :smt007), so maybe we'll still give it a shot today :D

12. Bookworm616

Did you see it?

13. RaiderLL

No but I'm sure it would've been 100x better than what our Sunday had in store! Hopefully this weekend...or maybe we'll heed the warning and just wait for it to come out DVD ;)

14. Bookworm616

Your time and money would be better spent seeing The Accountant, The Magnificent Seven, or Hell or High Water.

I seriously wouldn't even recommend Jack Reacher to watch for free. LOL.

15. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

The Accountant in my opinion was a little too over the top in trying to be different from other types of thrillers.

16. RaiderLL

The Magnificent Seven was our first choice, The Accountant was our third choice but being Saturday night, and it's all reserved seating, there were no good seats for any of those movies :( We clearly need to plan better lol.

17. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I can't call this movie garbage.... but it wasn't good in anyway at all!

Usually I rush to the movie theater to grab a good seat early but I had a hunch nobody was seeing this shit so I took my casual time getting there. I caught the 10:30pm showing. When I brought my ticket the employee asked regular or VIP seating which brought a chuckle. Walked in the theater and the shit was damn near empty. Of the attendees, black women made up majority of the audience.

The directing to this movie sucks soooooooooooooo bad. Katheryn bigelow is constantly doing this shaky zoom in and zoom out thing as if a 6 year old was shooting his first homemade video. The movie constantly jumps around all over the place like a music video which is annoying as fuck. I feel like Katheryn watched a bunch of black themed movies and meshed it all in here but the movie completely lacks soul.

The acting came off mad amateurish and forced by everyone. Half the time it's just a bunch of screaming, yelling, and crying. You never grow a attachment to the characters. Eventually gave up and payed more attention to my phone then the movie... I noticed after a while other audience members were doing the same lol. When it was finally over over, everybody walked out talking about how unsatisfying the movie was.

PASS!!!

18. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Since for some reason there is no thread dedicated to films/movies outside of those with IR or film trailer, I'm gonna have to put this here.

"Brightburn" is fucking awful. I can't recall a movie I've spent money on EVER that was this bad.

19. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

I'm still searching for the good movie thread, but I did find the thread for the bad ones and moved your post for you.

20. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks!