Was This Dominican Playboy The Real-Life Inspiration For James Bond?

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by samson1701, Oct 5, 2016.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

There's so much spin and many inconsistencies in this article.

Was the writer Dominican???lol

The first bizarre statement in this article,
    Rubirosa was reportedly a guest in
    Hitler's box at the 1936 Olympics in Paris,

considering the 1936 Olympics were held in Berlin, makes me question most of the historical anecdotes in this piece and how well researched they were.

I simply cannot believe this Rubirosa character was the sole inspiration for Fleming's Bond character.

Rubirosa was the real deal.

His actual life was nearly as fascinating as Fleming's Bond character.

Although I don't doubt Ian Fleming used Rubirosa's playboy lifestyle as a template.

Fleming spent a great deal of his private time writing in Jamaica, so on that regard I seriously doubt Ian Fleming really ran across Rubirosa.

The list of famous women Rubirosa is alleged to have had affairs by this author is just unbelievable.

3. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Good points.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

There were two men who had been a model for James Bond.

One was Dusko Popov, who had served under Ian Fleming during WW2 as a double agent spying on the Axis. Popov, like Bond, was handsome and was a playboy. He dated a Hollywood actress named Simone Simon and other beautiful women. Like Bond, he was also a killer if the need arises. Sometimes, he was faced with instances where he had been discovered. He had to be cool at all times. Unlike Bond, he was unsuccessful in preventing a major incident from happening. He knew about the Japanese plan to attack Pearl Harbor. He had warned the F.B.I. but the F.B.I. dismissed the information because they skeptical about how the information was gathered. Popov warned them in August of 1941.

The second was Sidney Reilly. He was the British Secret Service's best operative and had done many assignments for Queen and country. He was truly the Ace of Spies.
    His techniques were used still to this day by the British Secret Service, as well as the C.I.A . and other intelligence agencies around the world.

Ian Fleming could have met hundreds of people in Jamaica when he retired there to write the James Bond novels. He may have used the characteristics of many people to create Bond's psychological profile. I wouldn't be surprised if he did meet a Dominican man to aid him in creating a character for a story.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

And the Caribbean has been a hotbed of international intrigue for decades, as were Southeast Asia and North Africa.

6. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I read about that G. Popov even went to the FBI and Hoover did not believe him. Rubirosa married two of the richest women in the US:Doris Duke and Barbera Hutton. There was a cigar named after him with was like the size of his member.

7. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I also read about Reilly after I saw that mini series on PBS in the 80's that starred Sam Neill.