Walmart to Remove all Confederate Flag Merchandise From Stores

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Since1980, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/national/walmart-remove-all-confederate-flag-merchandise-st/nmjH5/

I can honestly say that I never though Walmart of all stores would be taking this direction. I'm definitely glad that they are, though.

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart sets the tone...

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Whats the hurry? The civil war only ended 150 years ago!

5. Since1980

Seriously. Of all the stores to pull the plug on confederate flag merchandise this would have been the last one that I expected.

Better (extremely, insanely, ridiculously) late than never, right?

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

EBay and Amazon have followed suit. All confederate items are now banned

7. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Wow, pretty soon the only vehicle for taking collective action will be the marketplace. While I applaud the end of these displays, I worry about the precedent set by the market becoming the vehicle for expressing collective will. What are your thoughts about what it means for the polity?

8. Since1980

I recently read an article about another republican asking that the confederate flag be taken down off of his state's capital. A republican from Mississippi.

Between the sudden reversals on the confederate flag and businesses refusing to sell confederate flag merchandise I'm actually wondering what the hell's really going on!

As far as it concerns anything related to the confederacy, I'm okay with it. People who want to defend the flag and say that it's about heritage and not hate sure as hell weren't saying anything to racists and bigots for all those years. If they didn't want to take it back then, they can't take it back now.

9. orejon4

And not on public buildings. Otherwise Islamic fundamentalists have a right to ask for the ISIS flag to be flown. They can do whatever they want on private property.

10. Since1980

Economically, this is going to be really interesting over the next few months. Are confederate flag supporters going to boycott Walmart now? I'm so confuzzled.

[​IMG]

11. orejon4

If they do that, where will they shop?

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Lmdao!

What an adorbs word! Stealing it. :p

13. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I think the republican governor of Alabama removed the flags from the capitol grounds. I read that anyways...what a great start, if true.

Good for Walmart. Very big stand from a very big company.

14. Since1980

It really shows how much the south has changed even in the past ten years. Hell, back in 2002 Georgia's last Democratic governor didn't get re-elected because he took the confederate flag down and replaced it with another one and now Republicans are doing it left and right. I like it but fuck it, I'm still suspicious lol.

15. RaiderLL

I trust no republican to do right solely for the purpose of doing right lol. Im sure most have their underlying agendas unfortunately.

16. orejon4

Sadly, I think the same of the Democrat Party as well, just with a bit more ethnic, gender and orientation diversity while they're at it.

17. RaiderLL

At the end of the day I wouldn't put anything past anybody. I do find a shred more authenticity within the Democratic Party. Sometimes it's a matter of selecting the lesser of two evils!

18. orejon4

Unfortunately this is usually the case.

19. Since1980

Years ago I used to tell myself that I voted for the issues and the candidate, not the party. Somewhere along the way I realized that there is almost nothing about modern-day conservatism that appeals to me. Neither party is perfect but as I look at the Republicans currently running for President I don't see myself switching parties anytime soon.

20. orejon4

Oh I definitely agree with you and Raider as to the lesser of the two evils. It sucks that it's that way, though, because the Dems are basically exempt from having to offer any real policy changes b/c we have nowhere else to go. I've begun to move toward issue advocacy and leaving the party/candidate politics alone. I'm more of a Green though, and I'm trying to get more active with the Greens to get a few local victories on ballot measures and small-scale issues. The Dems (and the voters) need to be pushed sharply to the left.