Sitcoms

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Sep 25, 2014.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

The tv show blackish aired last night......i thought it was cool. However i saw some issues they touched on in a humorous manner....
    What did the show say to you?
    Could you relate to it?
    Even white people should be able to relate to it.

[​IMG]

2. FRESH

FRESH New Member

I wanted to see it, but Comcast fucked up my cable on the condo, fuckin Comcast. Bout to take their ass. I'll catch it online. I literally saw a 20sec some spot. I was skeptical right off the back when I heard the name of the show. I'm interested to hear what you folks have to say about it.

3. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

It had some legitimately funny parts. But, over all, it wasn't great. But, well worth checking out. It has a lot of potential, though. It was only the pilot so I'm sure it will get to a point were it's consistently good.

I set my DVR to record the whole series. I want to support it. I'm sick of every black show or movie defining the black experience as being only about what happens in the hood. I could relate to a lot of what was going on from the oldest son's perspective. I changed my name as a kid, too. Much to my father's chagrin. ...lol

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I related to the kid for many reasons, same name also had white girls trying to call me Andy to be cute lol
    I also loved basketball, which is the sport in NY, but sucked at it so I joined the whitest team in school (cross country track). I think I was only one of two black kids on the freshman team and one of four on the varsity and I think two of those guys only did cross country to build their stamina for basketball season.
    I think the show paints my experience far better than a lot of the other shows out there.

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I related to it when he was saying that when a black make it to upper management...itd like all the blacks made it to upper management

6. hellified

hellified Active Member

why is it a question of relatability when its a black show??

if you watch game of thrones, mad men, breaking bad, walking dead, boardwalk empire, sons of anarchy or any predominantly or only white cast show does the question of can you relate to it even come up?? or do you just a watch a show where the characters and issues are interesting to watch??

i know Asians who watch downton abbey..how the fuck do Asians in the 21st century relate to the issues and events happening to white people in 1912 in England??
    make it an all black cast in 1912 nigeria and suddenly we have to find things we can relate too..

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Because if you had watch the interviews thats pretty much what he talked about....his experience as a black person. Also other races or groups feeling the same way about themselves.

Most shows really are successful most of the time or some of the time when people can relate.

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

This is what happens when you rely on television for lessons on how to live your life

You rarely see mainly black shows that ditch shit that 'blacks can relate to,' while exploring other creative themes like fantasy, sci fi, or whatever

It's always some inner city hood shit, slave shit, butler shit, big mammy shit

9. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I saw the woman from g/fs and thought it was going to be crap.

Could any one tell me if the father is the sterotypical dumb dad or did we get back to carl winslow and others?

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

To me he didnt come across as a dumb dad....more of an over zealous.

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I heard the dad was based on flava flav

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

So far I am liking this show. I can relate to a lot of of the story lines in my personal life. The characters are not too stereotypical, and the husband is not portrayed as a buffoon/idiot which is VERY important, and rather rare on TV in recent times. Still not totally sold, but watching it closely.

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Yeah im with u

14. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

This.

15. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I have not gotten the chance to see it. Is the wifey a product of BM/WW or WM/BW? Hope to see the in-laws soon.

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

This show is on Hulu at the moment, but I've been too busy watching other stuff

Maybe I'll look into it later

It's nice to see more black shows around tho

Mofo was feeling left out for a minute

All we need now are some more IR shows with wwbm

17. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Yeah....there are alot of IR commecials though

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Yeah all I watch is hulu and some of the ads are IR

Not to mention Arrow has the main black guy in an IR with a ww

Plus the show Resurrection features Omar Epps with his ww co star who pretty much get all the face time

I get all warm and fuzzy when I see those pairings

19. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

20. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Didn't see it. I'm sad thought that the season of Black Jesus has ended. I friggin loved that show.
    [​IMG]