The Offensive Awards

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Wow.

But, do they realize "human" as the word "man" in it?

I guess they're going to have to come up with a different term for humans and mankind.

Wow. Just wow. Our country is just finished. LOL. The PC crowd has taken society just too freaking far.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Ha. Smart one, Bookie. Hue-man Human. Indeed.
    Btw, no more Batman, Superman, Spiderman etc. references. :p

3. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Did you see a copy of the alleged 4 page memo??

THis sounds like an Onion or early Breitbart piece.

Princeton might be PC but I seriously doubt their administrators and faculty are this clumsy with how to use appropriate language.

4. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Surely there are bigger fires to put out than this,...........

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

That page is from the memo. The paper who reported it is not a satirical paper. It came from their HR Department.

"...Princeton’s director of media relations told The College Fix the guidelines “reflect the university’s initiative of fostering an inclusive environment,” but added that students are not “mandated” to follow them.

A number of other universities have established similar guidelines in an effort to promote gender-inclusive language, including UNC-Chapel Hill, the University of Tennessee and Marquette University.

Yale, another member of the Ivy League, has faced student-led efforts to reform its English literature offering because too many of the English authors studied in the courses are white men..."

One more thing...time to change their name?, lol..

6. FG

FG Well-Known Member

To take it further, Sweden now have a gender neutral variety of "he" "she":
    "Hen" which is a merge of "han" (=him) and "hon" (=her) it's used widely but is controversial because some th inks it an equalizing word and progress and others thinks it's ridiculous and overdoing political correctness.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well there has been a movement among parents in the U.S that a child shall pick their gender when they are old enough to decide and up until then there will be no reference to the sex of the child. I also believe that they also do not name their child so the child shall pick a name for themselves.

8. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

That is so true. Dave's stuff would be considered offensive if done today. The music was better, too. Tons of R&B and Hip Hop still had Good singers singing the hooks. Myspace was growing, autotune wasn't a thing... and I had a solid 7 months before I had to go to Iraq. Man... I miss 2004.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Reddit asked it readers to submit PC rules at their schools ..
    Off the top of my head..
    people had said they were told they were not allowed to use the term "best friend" because it promotes exclusivity..
    they were not allowed to high-five each other because it promoted gang activity...:?

10. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I think you mean "Hu-Person". Bat-Person, Wonder Wo-person...

11. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

So what do we call

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

The Superheroes Formally Known as.....??

13. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

wonder what the end game in all of this is?

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Good question Panni. I think to be like robots. Desensitized. To get used to instruction and keeping your mouth shut.
    That exceptionalism is not real. That individualism in thought and self is selfish and destructive. That you didn't build that. That you didn't earn that and that you don't deserve that.

15. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

A brave new world indeed!

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Clark University

College Students are told they can't say 'you guys' because it might be sexist and they can't ask Asian strangers for help with math

September 08, 2016

Freshmen at a college orientation event have been told not to address other students with the phrase 'you guys' because it could be interpreted as excluding women.

[​IMG]

Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts, has hired a chief diversity officer, Sheree Marlowe, who has directed students on how to avoid subtle insults known as 'microaggressions'.

The trained lawyer who is 'committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education' recently told freshmen at Clark they should avoid asking a black student if he plays basketball.

They should also not badger an Asian student they don't know for help with their math homework, The New York Times reports.

One example of a 'microaggression', that Marlow presented to an audience of around 525 first-year students at Clark, was to imagine what it feels like to see their race or gender not represented on a 'wall of fame'.

'On your first day of class, you enter the chemistry building and all of the pictures on the wall are scientists who are white and male. If you're a female, or you just don't identify as a white male, that space automatically shows that you're not represented,' she said.

However, not everyone thinks training students in watching out for 'microaggression' is a good idea.

Conservative commentator John Podhoretz said on Twitter: 'Sheree Marlowe, the voice of the new totalitarianism.'

Clark University one of many colleges trying to clamp down on racial tensions and sexism on campus.

Last year Professors at the University of California were urged not to use a number of 'offensive' phrases, such as describing America as a 'melting pot' or the 'land of opportunity". "There is only one race, the human race' and 'I believe the most qualified person should get the job,' are also soundbites academics are not allowed to say, in the eyes of administrators.

The phrases were included on a list of 'microaggressions' faculty members have been advised not to use, fearing they could be deemed sexist or racist.
    ~~~~
    Hope you guys are taking notes.

17. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Why are you trying to make me vomit?

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

:smt043:smt043:smt043

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Have not yet made up my mind on this one here, only because his point is correct on "USA..Washington and Jefferson..."

Thoughts? Should it have been changed?
    Or taken into historical context?

Geraldo Rivera Quits Position at Yale University Over School's Politically Correct Name Change

[​IMG]
    BY ANTONIA OKAFOR
    17 HOURS AGO

Fox News personality, Geraldo Rivera, announced over Twitter Sunday that he has resigned from his position at Yale University. Rivera cited that he is tired of the university's politically correct stances, including Yale's most recent decision to rename one of its buildings.

===============
    [​IMG]Geraldo Rivera

?@GeraldoRivera

Resigned yeterday as Associate Fellow of #CalhounCollege at #Yale. Been an honor but intolerant insistence on political correctness is decision 1:42 AM - 12 Feb 2017 · Edgewater, NJ

After a public outcry, Yale recently decided to change the name of Calhoun College, named after Vice President John C. Calhoun, to honor Yale alum, Grace Murray Hopper, a computer scientist and rear admiral in the U.S. Navy.

Rivera continued to air his frustration with Yale's “politically correct” decision:

===============
    [​IMG]Geraldo Rivera

?@GeraldoRivera

Slavery was abhorrent sin.Will #Yale students now petition to change name of #USA capital? #Washington was a slave holder as was #Jefferson

8:56 AM - 13 Feb 2017 · Edgewater, NJ

Last April, Yale President Peter Salovey refused to bow down to escalating pressure and decided not to change the building's name, according to the Yale News article:

"At that time, as now, I was committed to confronting, not erasing, our history. I was concerned about inviting a series of name changes that would obscure Yale’s past," said Salovey.

He continued:

"The principles establish a strong presumption against renaming buildings, ensure respect for our past, and enable thoughtful review of any future requests for change.”

But President Salovey changed his mind February 11, the day the announcement was made.
    Rivera clearly made his thoughts known about the matter in this tweet:

==============

[​IMG]Geraldo Rivera

?@GeraldoRivera
    To judge a 200 yr old early 19th century historic figure by standards of the 21st century as #Yale is doing is more Orwellian than inspired

9:03 AM - 13 Feb 2017 · Edgewater, NJ
    • 104104 Retweets

• =============
    • Yale University has not issued an official statement on the Rivera development as of the time of this writing.

20. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

In Virginia there has been an impetus to change the name of many high schools in the Commonwealth named after Confederate generals and officers.

Saying that renaming a building after a more appropriate historical figure is somehow political correctness run amok is the same rationale defenders of the Confederate flag hanging over South Carolina's state capital buildings used to NOT remove it.

I bet you're also against replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill with Harriet Tubman.
    Same argument IMO. The defense of history for history's sake is wrong.

BTW Geraldo is full a shit saying this is the reason he's leaving Yale. That was just an excuse to bounce.