Little known Movie and Music facts..

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bliss, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I am always facinated by obscure and unknown-to-the-mainsteam movie and music facts and behind-the-scenes facts..

Do you know any? I am surprised and learn much from documentaries, and also the artists themselves...

For example... Did you know that...

"..In The Heat of The Night, Sidney Poitier did not want to shoot the film in Mississippi because he had been harassed by the Ku Klux Klan when he had visited there with Harry Belafonte at the height of the civil rights movement in 1964, so most of it was filmed in Sparta, Illinois.
    Filmmakers even changed the name of the fictional Mississippi town in the movie to Sparta so they wouldn’t have to pay to have the town’s water tower repainted."

[​IMG]

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

"I'm walking here! I'm walking here!"
    Midnight Cowboy, 1969

[​IMG]

Dustin Hoffman’s line was ad-libbed, and the scene was shot guerilla style because they didn’t have enough money to shut down a New York street. The cab "almost hit us," Hoffman once recalled. "I guess the brain works so quickly, I said, in a split of a second, 'Don’t go out of character …' So I said, 'I'm walking here.'
    Director John Schlesinger started laughing. He clapped his hands and said, 'We must have that, we must have that..."

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

"I mean, funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you?"
    Goodfellas, 1990

[​IMG]

The "funny how" bit was heavily based on an incident Joe Pesci experienced as a young waiter when he complimented a mobster on his sense of humor. Needless to say, the man didn’t take it too well.

Martin Scorsese heard the story during rehearsal and liked it so much that he let Pesci and Ray Liotta incorporate it by improvising their dialogue.

The other actors in the scene weren’t given advanced notice because Scorsese wanted their genuine, unrehearsed reactions, and he shot it with only medium takes and no close-ups in order to capture their surprise.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Johnny Cash's estate was approached by an advertising company asking for permission to use Ring Of Fire on an ad for haemorrhoid cream. The request was refused.

Axl Rose used to earn $8 an hour for smoking cigarettes, for a science experiment at California's UCLA.

Hip-hop mega-producer Dr Dre was a diver on his school swimming team. (haha..awesome)

5. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Paniro187 was on his favorite singers album cover. Just look for the lone black guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

HAHA. So that's where you got your name?

7. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Great thread

8. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Paniro is my favorite rapper from my favorite rap group

[​IMG]

Dude to the left.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Agreed

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Had never heard of them before..l never did understand your screen name.

Thanks. I'm sure in passing you will come across ones as well that you think we might find interesting.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Changes the whole tone of the meaning...

Originally, the first line to Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" was: "I'm sitting by a pool in Beverly Hills dreaming of a White Christmas. "
    A friend suggested to him that he drop the reference to Beverly Hills, and the song went on to become the most commercially successful song ever.

- Music can help reduce chronic pain by more than 20% and can alleviate depression by up to 25%.

- Termites eat wood twice as fast when listening to heavy metal music.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Jimi Hendrix had told friends he wished to be buried in England. However, his father, James “Al” Hendrix, had his body returned to the Seattle and Jimi was interred in a family plot at Greenwood Memorial Park in Renton.

His grave was marked by a simple headstone with an etching of a Fender Stratocaster guitar.The guitar is right-handed, however Jimi adapted his to play left-handed.

[​IMG]

At the time, this basic grave was all Al Hendrix could afford.

In 1999 Al Hendrix announced plans for a new memorial to his son, bigger and more fitting to his iconic status. Al envisioned such a memorial for a long time, but only gained the financial means to build it in the mid-1990s after acquiring the rights to Jimi's music.
    Designed by architect Mark Barthelemy, the memorial was constructed over the next few year...
    It was dedicated, still unfinished, in June 2002. Sadly, Al Hendrix had died 2 months earlier, having been in declining health.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

- Courtney Love insists that the role of the drug dealer, Lance, in Pulp Fiction was offered to Kurt Cobain.

- Sean Connery turned down roles in The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones 4 and Blade Runner.”

- In Saving Private Ryan, all of the main cast were given basic military training except Matt Damon, in the hope that the cast would build a resentment towards him necessary for the role.

14. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Will smith also turned down "neo" in the matrix

Saving private Ryan bring tears to my eyes. What a great undertaking by our nation and American military. Big ups to them and my grandfather as a ww2 veteran go rest his soul. Those men went through hell.

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I didn't know that. Fishburne turned out perfect for the role. I had read an article on passed on roles actors who lost big ..have to dig it up.

Seriously, God Bless your grandfather's bravery ..he directly helped to change the course of THE ENTIRE WORLD. So damn grateful!

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

This I had read about a while ago... it's actually funny (embarrassing?) and dissapointing at the same time.

"There is a sound effect called the Wilhelm Scream that has been used in over 200 movies and TV shows since 1951."

Do you recognize it?

[HDYT]cdbYsoEasio[/HDYT]

17. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

I tend to wonder what evil will the world have to face for everybody to finally come together. Short of a fucking alien envasion or the zombie apocalypse this world remain so fucked and divided we might as well get used to it.

18. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

What I found interesting about Will Smith playing Neo or any black man for that matter is the context it would have held. A black man fighting a white man in a suit, with Wake Up by Rage Against The Machine playing in the background as the Brother flies off. That would have been a rather insane film. It makes a bit more sense considering that the Matrix and The Terminator were stolen from a Black Woman's screenplay.

19. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Then the two needing to merge to even out the positive and negative

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

- The title of the movie Do The Right Thing comes from a Malcolm X quote: “You’ve got to do the right thing.”

- According to reports, during some of the Russian roulette scenes in the movie The Deer Hunter, a live round was put into the gun to heighten the actors’ tension per Robert De Niro’s suggestion. It was checked, however, to make sure the bullet was not in the chamber before the trigger was pulled.
    :smt107

- When Bela Lugosi, star of the classic, Dracula, died in 1956, he was buried wearing a black silk cape similar to the one he wore in the film.