NFL 2014

Discussion in 'Sports' started by glt1980, Mar 11, 2014.

1. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

Thought with the NFL calendar year officially under way as of 4pm it was time for a new thread and just to start off with a laugh (sorry to the cowboys fans) had to post this.

[​IMG]

2. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I was going to create this tonight...good looking out! My phone has been going off this afternoon with contract updates. So crazy about Demarcus Ware :smt018 Not the best move IMO. Raiders agreed to a 1 year contract with Darren McFadden, smh. We'll be lucky if he can stay healthy for 5-6 games. I'm over him lol. A friend texted me this morning saying the Raiders have the most cap room at 69 mil - I'm hoping for some smart, strategic spending. :cool:

Ready and waiting for the draft!

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

AWESOME!

Great thread GLT. You beat Tony S to it this year, lol. LOVE me some football!! :)

4. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Wha???? He was the only thing I liked about Dallas! And the Eagles chucked Avant. *serious sad face*

5. DonnyJ

DonnyJ Banned

Congrats to Michael Johnson and Tampa Bay. Hate to lose MJ, but the Bengals did the right thing by not matching the Bucs offer. We need to give Burfict and others an extension.

6. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

So glad we [Jacksonville] finally got rid of bum-assed Blaine Gabbert. Gabbert was so awful he set the QB position back 20 years. smh

7. glt1980

Having 60 million in cap space is a blessing and a curse. Yeah you have so much money but you HAVE to also spend that money and having to spend it causes you to over pay guys. With that said it looks like they are taking their time and not rushing made a few low key moves today and according to the rumor mill they are ramping up takes with the Buccs on Revis. Along with the possibility of Michael Vick.

As for the cowboys, while I understand the move in a financial sense as they were only $2mil under the cap before the move from a football sense it makes less sense. Many have pointed out if Jerry Jones wanted to keep Ware he would have found a way he has worked the cap to keep players before but if you are gonna to just release him and hope he comes back at a lesser price that is stupid. Try and find a trade partner before you go the all out release route. Where Ware lands I have no clue but if he wants to win a championship Denver would be the logical place if he would be willing to take $8 mil a year (was due to make $12m) put him on one side and a healthy Von Miller on the other. New England would be another ideal spot as he already knows the system having played for Parcells.

8. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Not sure I like this news...:???:

The Denver Broncos released 12-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, who had a $1 million roster bonus due March 15, the team confirmed Thursday.

League sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday that the Broncos were on the verge of cutting Bailey.

The Broncos save $10 million in cap space with the move

9. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

Hopefully we get Sammy Watkins lining up as our #2 WR

10. RaiderLL

Raiders are taking it slow and steady which I like. I'd be ok with getting revis but I'd actually be excited about Vick. I love Pryor but the kid needs a mentor and Vick has had successful years in the NFL as a mobile qb...I think he could teach Pryor some things.

As for the cowboys...I absolutely agree the Jerry Jones would've made it work with Ware if he'd really wanted to. I think they'll regret letting him go seemingly so quickly. Ware in Denver would be bad for my oak town boys lol

11. RaiderLL

Sammy would look better in silver and black than he would in silver and blue ;) The Raiders really need a WR...I'll wrestle you for him lol :smt058

12. RaiderLL

The AFC West just got a little more difficult...

13. Cherok33

Things are looking up!

14. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

At least I don't have to watch the Cowboys any more. Like, everrr.

15. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

Smith done in Carolina

[​IMG]

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The agent for wide receiver Steve Smith says the five-time Pro Bowl selection has played his final snap for the Carolina Panthers.

Smith's longtime representative Derrick Fox told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Smith "is not going to play for the Panthers next year, I know that. I just don't know when that transaction is going to take place."

Fox said the Panthers have been trying to trade Smith, but expects he will ultimately be released.

He said the Panthers have not asked Smith to restructure his current contract which calls for him to make $7 million under this year's salary cap.

Regardless of whether the Panthers cut Smith or keep him, the club will have to pay him $3 million this season as part of the three-year contract extension he signed in 2012.

Smith's current contract runs through 2016.

Smith took to Twitter on Wednesday afternoon, writing "God has a plan... sometimes it just hurts (to) find out what it is."

"I will always be a Carolina panther No contract can ever change that CLT is my home and will always be my home... I love you (hash)panthernation."

Smith also wrote: "But I still have a lil bit of football left in me.... #agent89 Out."

Fox said Smith, a 13-year NFL veteran, would have preferred to finish his career with Carolina, the team that drafted him in the third round in 2001.

Fox said the 34-year-old Smith was "disappointed and surprised" when Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman talked about the receiver's future in uncertain terms at the NFL Scouting Combines last month.

"Where we are disappointed is the fact he signed an extension to stay loyal to the club and complete his career as a Panther," Fox said. "That is why we did the long-term team deal. Now we are at a crossroads where the Panthers don't want him anymore."

Gettleman did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Shortly after the Scouting Combine, Smith met with Gettleman at Panthers headquarters, but Fox said the receiver left without a clear, defined role in terms of his future with the team.

Fox said Smith diligently rehabbed an injured knee leading up to the team's divisional play game against the San Francisco 49ers with loyalty to the team in mind, thinking his long-term future was in Carolina.

Smith had four catches for 74 yards and a touchdown in Carolina's 23-10 loss.

"He spent 12 hours a day working with (trainer) Ryan Vermillion to get ready for that game," Fox said. "His goal has always been to stay a Panther."

Smith is Carolina's all-time leading receiver with 836 receptions for 12,197 yards and 67 touchdowns receiving. Smith is 19th all-time in NFL history in yards receiving and 25th in receptions.

Smith had 64 receptions for 746 yards and four touchdowns last season helping the Panthers go 12-4 in the regular season and capture the NFC South championship.

Fox said Smith plans to continue his playing career in the NFL when the Panthers cut ties.

"At 34, they could have kept him and run him in the slot," Fox said. "Steve wants to play in the slot. But he can't play the slot with the current roster, and he hasn't been able to play in the slot with the rosters in the past."

Fox said he's not sure why the Panthers haven't released Smith. He said he will be ready when that time arrives.

"It's my responsibility to find the best place for him to utilize his skills and passion for the game," Fox said.

If the Panthers release Smith he will count $5 million under this year's cap. The Panthers could designate him for a June 1 release which would allow them to split that money over the next two seasons.

16. glt1980

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!

Revis Island coming to New England according to Adam Schefter.
    1 year $12 million

17. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

WARE, TALIB & WARD to the BRONCOS

sadly we lost Decker today...

18. Cherok33

Yeah...I hate that we lost Decker and Champ Bailey :( sucks!!!

19. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Sproles to the Eagles...

20. RaiderLL

^^^I think Sproles still has some football left in him, so that might not have been a bad move on the eagles part.

Raiders finally moved in for a big name and signed Justin Tuck to a 2 yr deal. I've always liked him and his ridiculous facemask :p

Vince Wilfork asks to be released from the Pats. Personally I think he wants to be a Raider :cool: I wouldn't mind having big boy on my line!