A few questions by a gym/cardio newcomer

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by Be-you-tiful86, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Be-you-tiful86

Be-you-tiful86 Well-Known Member

So this is my 3rd week hitting the gym 2-3 days per week.
    I have a few questions for the more experienced gym rats/sporty ones among you.
    And also grateful for random tips and tricks you may wanna share.

Some background information,if this may help.
    At this point I just wanna improve my stamina,not trying to lose any weight.I am content with my current weight.
    I work 3 different shifts,full time: early,late and night,however the hours for each can vary.

*What is a good rhythm for workouts? How many days per week should one go to improve their stamina? Are 2-3 days per week enough?
    What about length of each workout? Currently I am doing 1 hour each workout. 20 minutes each on 3 different machines.

*Is it useful or rather bad to eat something before working out?
    If it is useful,what kind of food would be a good choice?

*Switching back between different shifts,I sometimes have to work at night.
    As mentioned I am not trying to lose weight,but would like to keep my current weight.
    So far I haven't picked up any,which I am happy about.
    In your experience,is it better to not eat after a certain time (some sites say 18:00 /6 PM) or does it not matter too much which time you eat at,as long as you are awake and active around the time?

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the tips below... good luck and stick with it, the benefits of healthy living/exercise are great!!!

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/fitness-beginners-guide

3. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Have you tried yoga before, BYT86?

4. Be-you-tiful86

Thank you :)
    Some of those such as warm ups and cooling down I already do .
    And on the 3-4 days I do not go to the gym I still walk at least 30 minutes,sometimes even over an hour.

5. Be-you-tiful86

No,to be honest I am not quite sure if it's for me.
    Step aerobic I tried out and it was okay.
    Also tried Thai Chi which I couldn't get into at all.
    I think I enjoy gym,especially cardio exercise, and practising at home (I have a rubber band and several instructions for exercise to do with it) more.

6. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

There are different types of yoga, and there is also "yogalates" (yoga and Pilates mix), which can be done from any location (including your home), at any time, day/night. All you'd really need is a yoga mat and a good video (and there are a ton to choose from). To me personally, yoga is my favorite for its convenience and how it makes me feel. It can also be a very good workout if it's done right. I feel that with the right type of yoga, I don't need much else. But I also know people who are not fans of yoga and prefer other workouts. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. :)

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The rule for grains is that if it is whole grain it burns slow. If not it is a fast burning carb. Wheat bread may be misleading. If it is not 100% whole grain its likely to be a fast burning carb.