Using the rep system to attack members

Discussion in 'General Site Information - Guidelines' started by 4north1side2, Aug 23, 2015.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I seem to be getting the same individual or two using the rep system to get at me... This wouldn't of been a thread if all they did was sign there reps.

My beautiful black... 08-22-2015 01:18 PM Let's not forget that you called a posters work that is fucking with someones money. Your behavior is vile, disgusting and immature. People have left the forum because of what you represent. Stalking someone off forum and researching them personally

Should a woman fix her... 08-07-2015 09:53 PM peaceful my ass dude everyone is waiting for you to get the fuck otta here for good ban yourself for a week that is lame shit dude no one likes your stalking ass sicko

Video released showing... 07-08-2015 02:27 PM GTFO dude sick of your pot stirring stalking crap no one trusts you or wants you here

My beautiful black... 06-17-2015 12:04 AM not cool dude we don't need people like you around here. Now everyone hates you and you have made everyone an enemy. I hope you get banned. read about your other forum issue that involved the police guess you didn't learn anything from it.

2. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Wonder if the system can be changed to have reps automatically signed with the username of the person leaving it. Wouldn't be a bad thing. Maybe make people think twice before harassing someone. 9 X out of 10, pos reps are signed so forcing an auto stamp of the username who's repping could really work to decrease the harassment around here. Food for thought webbie.

3. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Totally support this idea.

4. 4north1side2

I hate that this thread is public and wish it was private but at the same time I've come to the point where I have to document things and tell (feels like I'm at work lol) instead of slugging it out in pointless beefs across numerous threads.

5. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I actually don't think the comments are too bad, I have had worse in the past.

Way to guess the neg repper is the number of points you have gone down, neg rep goes down by the persons rep power and positive goes up twice the persons rep power (if it's still the same format)

I don't agree with people neg repping people that happen to be friendly to you, that is just stupid.

6. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

What's the point of having a rep system :rolleyes:

7. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

to control the bitter fights that happen on the forum. Now that most of the people who were in these fights have left... it is calm and stable.

8. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

I also don't really understand the purpose of a rep system.

I understand this subject has been debated in the past. As with most issues there are pros and cons regarding this rep system.

Ideally you can leave a private remark for someone directly without other forum members being able to read it (with the exception of maybe the web master and anybody else in an authoritative position) however, the system as it is set up currently enables forum members to verbally harass and attack other members anonymously.

I really feel like if this is an issue people care about (obviously it is if it keeps coming up) then something should be done out of respect for the members that support this forum. For the handful in power who run the forum should consider the suggestions that have been made thus far and make some positive changes to improve the forum and overall morale.

9. webmaster

webmaster Administrator Staff Member

Turning on the option to allow members to see who left them reputation would be retroactive to 2007. Some members who believed their comments were anonymous when they sent them may have concerns about that feature being turned on.

Concerning the privacy of the system. I'll read reputation comments when there is a problem or someone reports a comment. Otherwise it's private.

As far as the overall reputation system and its purpose, from an administrative view...

- Sometimes it does help sort things out when there are issues.

- Members can collectively use it to put problem users into restriction, where they can read but cannot post. (116 so far)

- It gives new visitors/lurkers a ranking system to go by, even as they realize it's affected by a combination of internal politics, cliques, popularity, viewpoints, join date, number of posts, etc.

- Although not condoned, I suspect some members use it to flirt or pass contact information to other members. As long as thats not abused it's not a concern.

If someone leaves you an abusive reputation comment, report it.

I purchased an add-on for the new forum that will allow more options. Here is an example screenshot of the options in the admin control panel (the selections can be edited):

[​IMG]

The icons will appear under each post.

10. FG

FG Well-Known Member

The same one or two people theory is not working because You are blocked until You spread your comments. You are stirring the pot, and You know it so dont be surprised or whine about it

Having that said, a rep should always be known from who its from, i do t like the anon rep thing. I cant rep at all from my devices and i have never left a negative rep, but never the less

11. 4north1side2

Cool looks good.

You very well May be right and it can be 4 different people with my delusional ass but I didn't feel the need to post all the neg reps I received. Only webbie can can check them out to see if my complaint is legit. I've been noticing a pattern in my neg reps so I spoke up... Sorry to hear speaking up is stirring the pot to you.

Btw this is a older post by webbie. If you check the dates on the negs, they're around 3 weeks apart, again this has been going on longer than what I posted.

12. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the webmaster has even responded to this, he must be a very patient man.

In all fairness the forum part of this site is free and any input from webbie is therefore voluntary unpaid work.

The rep system is a useful tool for us to self moderate, undeserved rep or real personal attacks can be reported and then removed if they go against guidelines.

The rep system does work, because personal attacks on the boards used to be a lot more frequent before and other members also had no way of getting rid of pervert members without webbie.

If you are unfortunate enough to be receiving a lot of bad rep then maybe you need to evaluate your behaviour and adjust accordingly.
    Because it is just basically the system working for the purpose it was intended.

13. 2legit

2legit Active Member

It's pointless

Ever since shit was introduced people were leaving this forum especially women and some men, it has become a tool for BW and WM trolling this forum to harass behind the scenes. Nobody's complaining because at the end of the day less traffic saves disk space and bandwidth allotment.

14. webmaster

webmaster Administrator Staff Member

Mostly CPU and Memory in this case

15. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

Seriously?
    I can't believe that out of all people YOU would complain that you feel harassed.
    It's beyond ridiculous.
    You behave like a small boy who is throwing rocks at other kids and when you finally get your ass whipped, you run around crying that YOU were treated unfair.
    Grow up already.
    Did no one teach you that what goes around, comes around?
    Almost everyone gets a neg rep now and then, especially when you speak your mind and have your own (not so popular) opinion, but if you have far more negative than positive rep, maybe it's not them, maybe it's YOU.

16. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

The rep system is around, so everyone knows who reigns supreme round this neck of the woods....

17. 4north1side2

[​IMG]

Your worthy my highness.

18. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Tam? Lol

19. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I can't rep you, Unique, but consider it done. :heart:

20. goodlove

goodlove New Member