a thread for the veterans......

Discussion in 'Getting Ahead: Careers, Finance and Productivity' started by goodlove, May 26, 2015.

1. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

I never really pursued va care. I only did 6 years so I don't necessarily feel "entitled" over the people who dedicate their lives their whole career to the country.

My coworker has been working thru the va to receive additional benefits and he earned 100% disability. He has been encouraging me to look at my own records for ailments I could potentially claim, and as I get older and have things that come up I am starting to think about it. I don't know though, I feel that some (like my coworker) take advantage of the system. But who am I to say?

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I understand how u feel but they are begging you to come there. I felt like you did but i started using them and i love them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

To add on to my last post, you will love them too.
    Trust me on that.

4. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

My ex bf asked me to help him claim sleep apnea in order to increase his disability. I was uncomfortable with it because while he probably had it during his career, it was never diagnosed and certainly wasn't due to his job in the Navy.. They denied him for it because there was nothing in his medical records that documented it. (But he does get great deals with his CPAP and supplies. He can get a new machine through the VA just for asking.) I, too, have been told that if you can prove you had any condition or ailment while on active duty, you can get disability for it. That doesn't really seem fair to me, but that's the military way.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I ran into a lot of people in the past that did not understand their reenlistment code until years after they got out.

Your reenlistment code is important whether you think you would like to reenlist in the future or not.

If you get a re4 it basically means that although you may have gotten a honorable discharge, the military will not take you back. Potential government employers may look at that and if they do it's basically as if they called a company that you used to work for and the company said that they would not hire you back. Would that prevent you from getting the job? You tell me.

The point is understand your code and if you don't think you are getting the right one then address the issue before signing your dd214.

*reenlistment codes may vary from branch to branch.*

6. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I gotta get on this VA hospital tip. My lower back has been thrashed since the army. If I do something with a lot of lower body movement for exercise, I can barely walk. I gotta hunch over and kinda walk shuffle for a good 10 minutes before I can straighten my back and walk normally. I made sure they documented that shit on my physical before I got out. Turns out from the x-ray, my back has been fucked since birth.

7. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Do you get disability for it? Almost every vet I know has some disability for back problems.

8. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Yeah, the back, the knees, the shoulders, not to mention the night terrors and constantly on alert (you may not notice it, but it is there). You take a moment to think back to how you were before you joined and did your tours and realize you aren't remotely the same person. In some ways it is a good thing, in other ways it's all kinds of fucked up. It's life... Army life.

9. guychoy

guychoy New Member

Got 1 more year left in the Army. I've hated almost every moment of it.

10. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

HA! Your last year flies by. Mine did. Only thing I miss is my friends.

Wait til you start ACAPing. You level of "give a fuck" will be nonexistent.

11. guychoy

guychoy New Member

Bruh, I'm already not giving a fuck. JK need to keep my GI BIll for this next degree. The only time I enjoyed my service was getting done with Afghanistan seeing like 18K in my savings account then promptly blowing most of it in a month long hedonistic binge drinking trip from Ulaanbaataar, Mongolia St. Petersburg, Russia - then back to Korea and Hawaii -Ffffuck

On the good note, I start ACAP in Jan and I may go into National Guard instead but as an Officer since I naively enlisted Active Duty with a bachelors.

How long were you in for?

12. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I did 3 and a half. In in the reserves now.

13. guychoy

guychoy New Member

Nice. I'm considering going Reserves or Nasty Girls in the Army or crossing over to the Air Force, but I will only go as a commissioned officer. I'm done being enlisted. That was my fault for enlisting with a bachelor's.

How do you like the reserves compared to active?

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Trump signs bill expanding veterans health options
    June 6 WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump signed a sweeping new law Wednesday aimed at expanding veterans’ access to private-sector health care...

The legislation’s biggest costs, though, will come in new doctor’s appointments outside the VA system, which now sends roughly a third of veterans to private doctors. The Congressional Budget Office estimated the increase at 640,000 veterans each year, particularly with new authorization for VA to negotiate a contract for care at private walk-in clinics....

But the shift to greater outsourcing – arguably the top White House priority for veterans – has been controversial...
    Many Democrats, traditional veterans service organizations and federal employee unions adamantly oppose the goal of giving veterans unfettered options to choose private doctors, arguing that such a change would starve VA’s vast system of government health care, the country’s largest.

“(Sure) Some degree of community care is necessary, because no one should have to wait three months or drive 200 miles to get a flu shot,” said John Hoellwarth, communications director for AMVETS. “But it is not the most cost effective way to take care of our veterans.”.
    o_O

*Personally, l think doctor choice is an important option for veterans. Private and Government employees enjoy that luxury, why don't Vets.