Ellen Pompeo rejects Onscreen Interracial romance

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by bosshoss250, Jan 8, 2015.

1. bosshoss250

bosshoss250 New Member

lol, now this sounds less convoluted than the others. But here is the thing and I have said this before. Shows and movies were taking those risk even before grey's anatomy some had success some did. People who are going to lose their minds over race shouldn't be the audience that matter to you. If that's the audience that can control things, then there will be no progression if we let those who makes a big deal out of it control IR onscreen. And that was one of the things I was trying to get to in the beginning when I said companies that don't want IR or black leading characters could use things like this as a reason to keep it off screen.

The progression we are seeing now is what ellen was afraid to do for a reason filled with racial ignorance. Grey's Anatomy was not a launching pad for this progression it was a link on the train.

IR relations is more of a hollywood problem than it is a oh america isn't ready problem and they blow up the negativity of it to try and fool everyone into thinking otherwise. Hollywood has shown to not shy away from controversy time and time again. From race, to violence, to sex and faced and dealt with the backlash. But a relationship that has a black man and a white woman in it is a controversial topic that Im suppose to believe scares them of the backlash coming from that? I mean some people act like actors have DIED for IR between a black man and a white woman on screen. Making the controversy bigger than what it is, nothing more.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Not sure Olivia Pope exists today for Rhimes, without the enourmous sucess of G.A.

I would have liked to have heard Shonda's perspective also. And a little more elaboration from Ellen on why...because while l question it, l'm certainly not going to sit on a high-horse and call her a racist, damn.

3. bosshoss250

bosshoss250 New Member

racial ignorance is complex to those that are blithely ignorant. Lack of knowledge, lack of awareness, lack of common sense. lack of judgement...

It is what blinds the meaning of who and what.

Complacency is a delusion.

4. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I'm scratching my head like fuck right now....

It's like you put three fortunes together and rolled them into one cookie

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Don't believe their perspectives are based on complacency...

Thinking that WWBM would be accepted by the masses is likely the more delusional. Gay relationship characters get more respect and acceptance than our coupling does.
    We have examined for years on here on why the lack of long-term IR exposure exists...and it's quite grey.
    BTW, the topic on Ellen's controversial comment isn't the first time we have covered it on here - she made it in 2013, a quick seach of the forum will show you it's been discussed before. She hasn't since added to her comment.

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

This thread is do damn weird because now I've agreed with both of you. Come on Ches say something I agree with to complete the final sign of the Apocalypse lol

But you're right the gay thing is another example of how people can move on in every respect and be progressive until its a bm with a ww. It's frustrating as hell but also evident and it probably dictates certain decisions because make no mistake Hollywood is a business first second and third.

7. The Dark King

But we see consistent examples of this fam. It's not like Grey's Anatomy happened in a vacuum of course other cultural norms dictate the narrative whether we like it or not. Black men aren't seen as romantic leads yet actually no white men period aren't seen as romantic leads. America isn't interested at all in that. Black leads sure, but romance with two black people isn't seen as believable or watchable let alone one with a black man. Shit to be fair that shit wasn't likeable with a black woman until Scandal.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. The Dark King

You can't compare the two we're talking about another animal. One that survives on viewership and popularity. If you want to take risks like that then go to HBO and Showtime where someone like Don Cheadle can be butt naked with Kristen Bell and no one bats an eye. But on network television where you are supported by sponsors who rely on people liking the shows its not going to happen. They always appeal to the lowest common denominator, that's not new. Those types stay glued to the tv and support programming.

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

:smt005

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

pastor speaks against IR

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=23mx_vRCg64

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I read an article online about Ellen DeGeneres slamming a Christian publication for accusing Hollywood for a LGBT agenda. It wasn't true, of course. Ellen for her part, says simply that she's married. Nothing more than that. And the message in her show was that she wanted all her younger viewers to be themselves and to be true to themselves. Someone commented that Hollywood has always pushed the LGBT and IR agenda on people for years. The commenter didn't say that IR included wm with aw, l/h w and everything else in between and very seldom had IR where it involved bm/ww, aw, l/hw. Sure, there are shows like Scandal, Grey's Anatomy and House Of Lies. I think that when it comes to IR, it is viewed selectively. As selectively as ages of people(an older actor or actress in a show or film in a relationship with a younger and attractive co-star, which is seen in daytime soaps and films a great deal). This has been going on for decades. The HBO show Looking has one of the female character in an IR with a black man(and it looks like a hot relationship). My questions in terms of the portrayal of IR in films and shows is this; how is too much? Is showing an IR in a show or film an agenda of Hollywood? Or is the fact that those folks who complain about seeing them a mask for their insecurities?

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

14. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

This is ABC and the big Thursday night money maker is GA..it does matter if couples are attractive together... That is what sells... Sexual tension through the screen...I don't know if you have ever seen the show but it is jam packed with IR...Shonda Rhimes now has three big shows all with IR

No chemistry ...no viewers...canceled show

15. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any way to act "black" because the last time I checked, individual behavior isn't genetically coded. Unless you're applying a stereotypical understanding of what "black" is. Don't forget to grab your dookie rope chain on the way out the door fam, lol.

Interesting ideas. I'm not sure I agree, but I think I understand where you're coming from. Maybe she has some deep dislike of Isaiah - wasn't she the one who went after him (or had the show's brass do so) over his homophobia? The fact that I'm in an interracial relationship at times doesn't mean that I want every relationship I read about or watch on television to feature bm and ww.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Ore, that was Katherine Heigl, and the controvesy over his off-screen remark came a few years after.

17. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Ooops. Oh well, at least a bm and a ww were involved. That's what I get for talking about something I know nothing about. Lol