Anyone know how to help my daughter with her music?

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by fantasyfangrl, Oct 14, 2013.

1. fantasyfangrl

fantasyfangrl New Member

So, my daughter (17) is really good at sampling and mixing music. I (thanks to Morning Star's suggestion) got her Fruity Loops but she also want's to learn the turntables ... any suggestions?

She has two different music pages. One Techno-ish: Kyron-techno

and the other more of a mixed genre: Tazziiee-love

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Hope the members would help in the music catagory.

3. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I've made music for years, but I'm new to the whole EDM thing. Not real sure about turntablism/DJing. However, here is a great article that will get her thinking in the right direction:https://www.udemy.com/blog/how-to-become-a-dj/

She can also learn a great deal from YouTube tutorials. There's good info there and it's all free. I've learned a great deal from it.

Tell her to join the the forums over at http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/
    There are lots of Producers and DJ's there of all skill levels she can dialogue with. If she has questions about techniques, software, etc ... it's always a good place to start.

Lastly, have her learn music theory even if she's not going to be "that kind" of producer/beatmaker. It will help her immensely. She'll be able to do things creatively and easily that she would not have thought of without it. Again, she can learn this on YouTube. There are also great apps for the iPad/iPhone that will teach her in no time. I recommend Musicopoulos. It's very easy to learn and will put her light years ahead of common beatmakers.

Hope that helps.

4. Raudi

Raudi Member

Don't know much about the sampling age of music, I play an instrument, the best advise is to 'play on the one'. It's the basic in any form of music, I listened to a few of those online tracks and didn't hear any structure to follow or create a lead. Just make sure your in tune and on time.

[YOUTUBE]/IHE6hZU72A4[/YOUTUBE]

5. fantasyfangrl

fantasyfangrl New Member

Thank you so much :freehug: I gave her your idea's/links and she's checking it out as we "speak"

6. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I can only take dub step in small doses but I'm feeling the tracks trippy, china drop, and dead space. Digging everything on her mixed genre page. Major props to her.

7. fantasyfangrl

fantasyfangrl New Member

Thank you. I'm pretty proud. We are looking at various music production programs at universities all over. Thus far she has had some good feedback.

8. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I hear Numark has some good products. My cousin isn't a DJ at all and just likes to BS on these mixers and everything on here is pretty easy to learn, so I'm guessing this would be good for a beginner. I'm assuming she's not trying to go the vinyl route, especially with electronic type music?

[​IMG]

9. fantasyfangrl

fantasyfangrl New Member

No, she doesn't want to go "old school" with vinyl. Thank you so much for the information. :freehug: I'm checking it out now.

10. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

That is super encouraging, I wish her nothing but the best. Who know's, we may all be witnessing the birth of a future mega producer.

11. fantasyfangrl

fantasyfangrl New Member

Thank you :freehug:

12. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member