Did Disney smother the Jimi Hendrix movie??

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Young Herschel, Jan 17, 2015.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Wow, that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Would you say it's even worth watching, or is it a waste of two hours?

2. LA

LA Well-Known Member

It's worth watching but it isn't by any means a great film. Only slightly insightful, if you will. They did show some things about Jimi that I was not aware of.

3. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

And they made up some stuff too. The woman whom Hayley was playing told the media Jimi never physically abused her as portrayed in the film.

4. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Well, Disney is doing a good job of getting out of the way and allowing Marvel to do whatever it wants.

I decided not to see it after reading about the whole phony physical abuse element the writer (a black dude who directed the movie as well) added to the storyline. It did garner mostly good reviews though.

5. chamber

chamber Active Member

I've seen it (it was released in the UK last year).

The film isn't very good. The performances are good but the film is poorly written and is edited weird. The film is boring as well.

The Hendrix family probably didn't licence the movie because it shows Jimi's domestic abuse.

Hayley Atwell has done some sexually explicit stuff in World Without End and Black Mirror so I doubt Disney is blocking the movie because of Atwell doing anything not family friendly.

6. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Well if that's the case, that's pretty shitty that they would make him a woman beater. Like how the fuck do you do that to someone's legacy? What a low innacurate blow.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

It was said that Jimi Hendrix went through women like a pack of cigarettes; sexually.

8. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

He was Jimmy Hendrix! :cool:

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Default daddy issues obviously

10. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Crazy. With his entire dense, brief career that's influenced music for generations and you have one of the film's focal points a non-existent domestic abuse situation??

In so many depressing ways Hollywood is so stereotypical.

Anyway, there's so many better concert excerpts and actual documentary films about Hendrix that feature his music(which the family does allow his music to be featured in) that I'm really not desperate to see a major studio bio pic on Hendrix.

11. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

You and JamalSpunky have convinced me - they won't get any of my meager pennies and I'll wait for the cable broadcast.

I hope Disney stays out of Marvel's way. I heard they've been chucking out entire swaths of the Star Wars Expanded Universe to suit them, however.