"she's not hip hop" says hip hop star

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Sep 28, 2014.

1. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Seriously if you looked at bball way back then...and looked at it now....ud be like what the fuck happened

The level of gameplay is bonkers but I'm sure everyone wasn't happy with the direction it took

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

you right tho. the analogy is great. iggy to some extent is what hip hop was back in the day...good or bad. nothing heavy...just fun and you can pretty much hear the words.

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

"Don't hate; congratulate."

That sentiment is missing in this case.

4. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll stop drinking hater-ade.

5. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

The problem with hip-hop these days. Addressing wackness is always considered hating. Lot of MCs back in the day thought Rappers Delight was corny. Doesn't mean they were hating. Just their opinion.

6. hellified

hellified Active Member

its not the same thing...

:smt018

in order for your analogy to work black players would have always had a opportunity to play the sport in their league

A black ball player who basically copied a white players style and swagger on the court or field would be exalted as the new face of sport (Forbes magazine article of iggy was titled : “Hip Hop Is Run By A White, Blonde, Australian Woman” )

That black ballplayer copying white athletes style and play would become more popular faster than those white players who created the style.

thats why your analogy doesn't work.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Repeat all of that again please, especially the bolded part.

8. orejon4

You're spot on, GFunk. The essence of hip hop was calling out your competition lyrically. It's almost as if hip hop is now a product that has absolutely no quality control anymore.

9. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

That's because you now have people who don't actually care about it dictating what it is/should be. No actual love for the culture in anyway outside of it being a way to get some possible quick money and fame.

10. orejon4

This. And with most of the artists just hungry for a buck, your fellow artists no longer perform the self-critiquing function.

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

That is it in a nutshell. Quick money, moderate fame and a write-up in a popular hip-hop magazine posing by a high-end vehicle, holding a gun in hand, and other childish nonsense. If they land a role in a major motion picture, they have arrived. Despite all that, these folks labor to produce noise with no real rhythmic value. Just a drum machine, a Casio keyboard and a talented sound engineer. But there is not enough love for real music. However, the question is what is the definition of real music. For some, like myself, it is a combination of instrumentation, harmony and melody woven together by emotion. Today it is emotion first, then harmony, if any and finally melody. This, of course, is a generational issue.

12. Mighty Quinn

Mighty Quinn New Member

Loving this

[YOUTUBE]rre0sFHlfBc[/YOUTUBE]

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]8S0ldYYw9Ss[/YOUTUBE]

14. orejon4

Lol, Lord Jamar is becoming hip-hop's angry old man. I would really like to hear from Chuck D and the Blastmaster for their thoughts on this issue, or rather, on issues generally. I may be dating myself here, but I think they had the most coherent philosophies in all of hip-hop.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Considering Chuck D put in a little voice over cameo at the end of Rah Digga's single she put out last year around the time she did that interview, pretty safe bet where his thoughts lean. Not that he'd waste his time putting out his opinion on something like this anyhow.

16. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i was talking friends of mine about iggy and rah digga and they said...."who gives a fuck"

they were getting tired of the whole convo.

it was funny and interesting at first now....

17. goodlove

goodlove New Member

they were especially critical of the old heads.

18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

As it should be. As I already said in this thread way back, Rah Digga simply gave her opinion on Iggy and the current state of Hip Hop. Other people took an ran with that shit and blew it up like those two had some big feud going on for their own agendas. Rah Digga hasn't even commented on Iggy, positively or negatively as far as I know, since that interview.

19. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I really liked his take on this. Nothing wrong with holding people accountable and calling them out.

20. goodlove

goodlove New Member

so true....yeah no doubt.