Ellen Pompeo rejects Onscreen Interracial romance

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by bosshoss250, Jan 8, 2015.

1. bosshoss250

bosshoss250 New Member

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I say smart move on her part since the show became a huge hit because of her romance with her current love interest.
    Not to mention she's living the IR romance in real life. Has a black husband and biracial child

3. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

To me, this is precisely why she should be accepting IRRs in her roles. She's the face of a very popular show...celebrities should use their stardom to help promote all aspects of life...whatever they live (whether it be IR or any other lifestyle that walks outside the societal "norm"). They could be such advocates but instead she chooses to keep things vanilla. Obviously her choice, but she gets no respect from me for doing that.

4. The Dark King

This was before she was a star. This was when the show was in it's infancy and no one knew what it was going to be. And to the credit of the show, they have shown a ton of ir relationships on there. They have done a lot in normalizing that kind of thing on TV

5. RaiderLL

I'll take your word for it, I've never seen the show. Whether she was a super star or not, refusing an interracial relationship seems like a slap in the face to IRRs...especially considering she apparently married and procreated with a bm. Whatever, like I said it was her choice to make. I think it's shitty, that's all.

6. The Dark King

Well I personally get it. It's hard to take a stand when you're livelihood depends on your success and what people want to see. I hear what you're saying but its a simple case of if she hadn't done it we would know nothing about the show. America is still very racist and won't support a show where the main love interest is a bm and a ww. We're just not there yet.

7. RaiderLL

I hear you I just think it'll take a hundred times longer for us to "get there" when people are more concerned about how others view them, then they are about following their own moral compass. Gotta put on your big girl panties at some point and stand the fuck up for what you believe in...or just get in line with the other sheep and leave the dirty work to the rest of us. Guess I have very little patience for things like this lol.

8. The Dark King

But is that a realistic stance? Look at this way if she had not done what she did Grey's Anatomy which paved the way for so many IR romances would have never existed on TV. Because of it we have/had four shows on a major network where IR is displayed constantly not to mention black women as romantic interests. If she had gone along with the original plan it would have probably only lasted one season and we would have missed out on so many opportunities. The show has brought people like Jesse Williams to the fore front (my new friend in my head btw lol) who is one of the most vocal Hollywood figures about police brutality and the crisis of how we view black bodies. He would have never had the same platform without the show. Maybe she was smart enough to have the vision most of us lack and the patience to see it through because after 10 seasons I think we (IR couples) have gotten far more than we would have had she "put on her big girl pants" and did what you wanted. I'm not trying to be rude presenting another side to it.

9. bosshoss250

bosshoss250 New Member

She leaves no mention of what you're suggesting. She said it was too close to home, which made no sense. Plus her comments on the emmys. I hear what you're saying, but she is not taking that platform to put it out there that america wasn't ready and me personally I don't think she really was thinking that.

But let's be totally honest here. A lot of shows and movies success is due to the media's constant promotion. They have promoted and advertised and shoved down our throats some awful shows and movies. I believe america been ready since "Save The Last Dance". The media on the other hand wasn't and still show some signs of how they aren't really into IR.

10. The Dark King

Then explain the cheerios commercial

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

My thoughts....

There's a difference between having a black partner in your personal life outside of the spotlight and parading around a show watched by god knows who, in a taboo interracial romance with a black man

Face it many people don't want to see bm on tv or in the movies chopping down white women lol...I'm not losing my fans because TDK is upset

12. The Dark King

As you shouldn't I ain't the one paying for your cigarellos or your skittles homeboy

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

If u weren't black you'd be taken out back and shot for this post..........or made president of the neighborhood watch/elected to congress

14. The Dark King

lol exactly. I'm from Westchester and went to prep school so it would be the latter. Hell might make it to Senator lol.

But real talk I am beginning to have a little sympathy for people in those positions. She's obviously not opposed to IR but she has a career to think about. We aren't the ones who will give her an opportunity when shit flops and apparently she knew what she was doing.

15. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

The response to the Cheerios commercials pretty much highlighted why white women won't do IR with bm on screen

I could hear the female actress' stock falling like a motherfucker

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. RaiderLL

Supporting something behind the scenes isn't the same as displaying your support in front of millions. Anyone can fuck a bm...doesn't mean they love bm, just means they love black dick. Not saying that's at all what this woman is doing (I know nothing about her) but you get no kudos for "supporting" something with the lights off that you won't support with the lights on.

17. The Dark King

Yup pretty much, at least not in a non independent we're trying to make a point film.

Maybe in comedies but look at Happy Endings which was a really great show but didn't last and some think because the main couple was a bm/ww couple.

This country seems to have a major issue where as if you watch BBC or TVone programming a lot of their hit shows has black men with white women and the shows are huge. Meanwhile here you have a hit show like Big Bang Theory where there are never any black people on there and the one person of color can't get a girl yet the socially awkward white men who are asexual, perverted, and well yes socially awkward find mates no problem. It's incredibly telling.

18. The Dark King

To be fair she's married and has a biracial child. Hardly just rolling around having fun.
    And remember this was in the infancy of her career in a profession that doesn't give many opportunities. This very well could have been her only shot so like I said I get it. And her decision ultimately led to a flagship show that spawned other shows that support and highlight the very thing we love and support. So in my eyes it was the best play.

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

There's blacks on the Big Bang theory....

They're mopping the set or changing out light bulbs in the studio

20. The Dark King

And rocking that security jacket lol