Did Disney smother the Jimi Hendrix movie??

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Young Herschel, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I have a theory on why this highly-anticipated movie about legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix which was filmed and financed in 2013 never got released in theatres and damn never even got released on direct-to-video. It features Andre 3000 in a hot as hell R-rated interracial relationship with Hayley Atwell of Marvel's Agent Carter seen here:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzgsjq_hayley-atwell-nude-the-pillars-of-the-earth_creation

So is it curious that a film that was expected to be released in theatres last Spring . . . will only this month will be available on VOD?? The much publicized ABC release of Agent Carter starring Hayley Atwell as the protagonist had nothing to do with this huh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSxBMAVfFJY

I don't know how the IR sex scenes are in Jimi: All by My Side but they probably are pretty explosive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=981Ql4R2xC8

I think that Disney paid some serious loot to preserve Hayley Atwell's mainstream ABC friendly marketability :smt036

2. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

That movie was doomed to fail when they couldn't get the licensing from the Hendrix family to use his songs. How the fuck can you do a movie about Hendrix without any of his music?

3. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Thats as crazy as doing a movie about mlk without being able to use his speeches

Who would wanna do that

4. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Hayley atwell mildly seduced a black guy in the first episode of agent carter

Doesn't that count

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

You know how it works in this joint. Unless she got stabbed with some dick it doesn't count.......

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

LOL

damn, uncle

7. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Why wouldn't the family let them use his songs?

8. LA

LA Well-Known Member

It was a matter of price and the Hendrix family was asking for too much money to use Jimi's songs.

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Greedy fucks

How dare they capitalize on the genius of jimi

10. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

It is a shame that those family members are such greedheads.

11. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Yup, same for Bob Marley's stuff. So, so sad.

12. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Can't be as bad as the Aaliyah movie....... right?

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

[​IMG]

14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

u know that's ur shit stop frontin

15. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Ha ha!

16. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Ridiculous.

It was a small budget film, an independent film, and thus wasn't opened in a thousand theaters. If you live in some backwater part of the USA or if you live in a broken down urban city with not many theaters dedicated to arthouse movies, chances were you wouldn't have the opportunity to see it when it was released.

Disney didn't give a damn about this movie. It probably didn't even realize Atwell was in the cast.

17. FG

FG Well-Known Member

This, and what would they gain, or what would then agenda be to smother this movie?

18. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering whatever happened to it. I don't even remember its release and then today I saw it being advertised on pay-for-view on television. Weird. Did anyone here catch it at the cinema?

I'm not a big fan of what Disney does to its non-kiddie movies, by the way. Got my fingers crossed that they don't take whatever's left of Star Wars and render it hollow.

19. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw it last year and the movie felt very vague in some ways. It would have been far better with actual hendrix music and a more developed script. Andre Benjamin's acting wasn't all that great either, but I give them a 'C' for effort - if you will.

20. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Carl Lumbly did a television movie on Jimi Hendrix. But, I think it focused more on Hendrix's creative process and some of his problems. I don't think they showed the women he was involved with(and Jimi went through a lot of white women). They even used some of his original works. But, when dealing with family members of those portrayed, all bets are off, I think. As to Disney, this film could have been released through Touchstone Pictures or Hollywood Pictures. I think they're both under Disney. And as for Ms. Atwell, she was in a topless scene in a film with Ralph Fiennes( I forgot what it was). That was the first time I saw her nude. But I may be wrong.