Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

:smt042

2. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I don't get that complaint at all. All you need to do is go down the IMDB list for actors like Will, Denzel, Jamie Foxx, Forest Whitaker, Chiwetel Ejiofor, etc and you will see the vast majority of their parts have nothing to do with being con men or ne'er do wells. You must be getting their careers mixed up with Eddie Murphy's. ;)

Also this film was written with the intention of white people being the leads. Ryan Gosling and Ben Affleck were both attached to this film (with different actresses) before dropping out for various reasons. The role ended up landing in Smith's hands after that.

3. JamalSpunky

Fixed that for you.

Thanks once again for your useless contribution. You must be lonely. Go call your mom already.

4. JamalSpunky

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

No. I didn't mention Eddie Murphy(Eddie will be filming a fourth installment of Beverly Hills Cop). And the others have played respectable male protagonists...in the past. I am talking about now. Idris Elba played a killer in No Good Deed. Tyler Perry was in Gone Girl. If you listen to the narration in the trailer, he sounds like Alex Hitchins in his delivery. Does Will Smith have the producer or executive producer title in this film? We'll see. I'd like to see a black male protagonist rise up on top, survive and get the woman. THAT is my main complaint.

6. satyr

satyr New Member

I think I will and my woman too. I prefer to extend my affections to human beings who exist in three-dimensional space, not actresses. Rumor has it that it's healthy.

7. JamalSpunky

The others are STILL playing respectable protagonists in the present. One film here and there doesn't change that. No offense but when we black folk make generalizations about the type of roles we're getting we better have the numbers to back them up. In this case, friend, the numbers don't support your concerns. What you are saying sounds like the old complaints from others I come across that all roles blacks get are as criminals, maids or slaves. Um.....no. The vast majority of the roles we play, either as leading characters or supporting ones, do not fit those categories. And this role that Smith is playing is tailor-made for a white guy anyway. Get to be smooth. Get to lead a crew. Get to dress in style. Get to go to exotic locations. Get the heart and attention of The Girl. It is the type of role George Clooney may played just five years ago. That's they type of criminal that mainstream audiences let off the hook.

By the way do you know Idris' role in "No Good deed" was intended for a white actor too.? With that and Addicted I suppose these clown black producers love the idea of making low budget female-driven dramas/melodramas involving black women and white men. Perhaps they are taking their cue from Scandal. Anyway the lead black actress (Taraj) of the film personally requested Idris because she was a fan of his.

8. JamalSpunky

You personally extend yourself affections through your right hand. Or perhaps your left. Not sure its all that healthy though.

9. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

:smt042

10. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

It will be another movie where Will doesn't come with 15 inches of the white girl. Meanwhile I literally can't turn on my TV without some black chick kissing all on a white dude (The Flash, How to Get Away With Murder, Sleepy Hollow, Scandal)

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Thought I was the only one who noticed this lol

These are all big name shows too, not some obscure shit you never hear of

Fact remains there are way more wwbm marriages than wmbw, so why is the media portraying it the other way around

Agenda much?

12. FRESH

FRESH New Member

Didn't we just agree lol

Good question. I think it's some weird spin on vulnerability. If the dominant person in the relationship is white, the male, he chooses to accept the minority, if the dominant is black, the female must be damaged.

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

That's some quantum shit right there

From what I've seen tho racists tend to believe just that

I've seen people say she's ugly, is fat, has daddy issues, is a whore, is on drugs, etc etc, whenever they see a ww prefer a black man

It's mad crazy son

White superiority at its finest

14. JamalSpunky

1)Will Smith's character does get it on with Margot's. While the trailer doesn't explicitly show it (as they would if it was starring a white guy), if you check it out closely enough you can see the two do get intimate. It's part of the storyline. He brings her into his team. They hook up and he then decides to end things between them because she's getting too close for comfort and he's developing feelings. Three years later when he and his team are trying to pull off their biggest scheme yet, she enters back into his life as a more seasoned femme fatale and throws his plans for a loop. It is a romantic comedy/drama. Kinda has an old school Hollywood romance feel to it based upon the trailer.

2)How can you watch How To Get Away With Murder and complain considering the young black guy in the spotlight appears to be in a relationship with his white female neighbor? C'mon, man.

3)I will bitch about a black Iris West as much as those white boys bitch about a black Johnny Storm. Hey? How come those white guys aren't whining about Iris being black now as well? Hmmmmmm. :smt105 :smt011

15. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

It only counts if it happens on screen

I only watched the first one

The difference is Iris West is a marginal supporting player in the mythos, not a headlining fan-favorite character like Johnny Storm, who has even carried his own book at times. I would have thought your equivalencies would be more on point

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

That's like making the flash black

Lol

17. JamalSpunky

Not the first time I came across that copout. These fanboys have been demanding a 100% duplicate representation of the characters, big or small. For example countless of them made a huge deal out of Laurence Fishburne playing Perry White in Man of Steel. Perry Fuckin' White! They didn't even want that tine representation of white manhood taken away and given over to a black guy. Yet there is nothing but the sounds of crickets in so far as making Iris West black though. Barely a peep of protest. Iris West may not be a household name but she was the love of Barry Allen's life and later his wife and thus played a huge part of the Flash mythology before her death. No less important than Gwen Stacy was in the Spiderman series.

I would be more accepting of this bit of casting (although I would never completely be happy with it), if TPTBs out there wouldn't always view adding a black female love interest as the one lone form of boldness and diverse casting. There's nothing bold about it anymore, hasn't been in awhile. Who is the male love interest of Wonder Woman? Steve Trevor. If they did a movie or TV show do you think TPTB would ever cast a black guy in that role in order to add diversity among the characters? Fuck and no! It would never cross their minds.

And while I'm at it get rid of Iris' dad too. That character played no part in the actual Flash comics nor did Barry Allen grow up in the West household after the death of a parent.

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

If they got rid of the father, the show would be even more whitewashed than it already is

:p

As for a black steve Trevor and a white wonder woman, now I know ur high as fuck

:rolleyes:

As for the black Johnny storm, in the last film he was portrayed as a horny hothead

If they give michael b Jordan some white love interests, I'll be like :shock:

19. JamalSpunky

That's really not the point for me. The point is that character didn't exist in the comics. The only family of Iris we got to know was her nephew Wally West.

They gave Wonder Woman a black love interest in her comic around ten years ago. He was an average guy, no super power or anything. The reaction by fans were ridiculous. They hated the guy. When giving reasons most hid behind some bs that didn't make any sense. Only a few were bigoted enough to come out and claim they objected because of race. The character didn't even last two years. He was killed off (no, they just couldn't let the guy leave town....he had to die). I believe it was the negative feedback that led to the character's demise.

I've been around long enough to know if Superman or Captain America were given a black girlfriend the outrage would have been tame by comparison.

I've looked through the IMDB cast list in order to see who are the possible love interests for Johnny Storm. I didn't see anyone. No surprise there. Don't think for a minute that a huge reason why white fanboys took issue with Jordan's casting was because Johnny Storm was always hooking up with hot chicks. M. Fantastic can't do that because he is off the market as a married man. The Thing can't really do that because of how he looks (and can he even have sex with a human woman?). So Johnny Storm is the lone option to represent white male sexual vitality and now it is taken away in this new interpretation because of the casting of Jordan. Look, I'm a purist too and I was/am against the casting of Jordan in the part. But I think many fans have gone overboard over this.

By the way where was the disapproval of casting Jessica Alba, who is not completely of European descent, as Sue Storm in the previous FF films? There were a few people who took issue with her casting but not nearly as those crying about Jordan. And of course Kerry Washington was picked to play the Thing's blind girlfriend even though once again the character in the comics had been white for like 50 years. But there were no complaints from Fanboy Nation.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

As they say, a white guy can get away with sleeping with anybody

Captain Kirk proved that, literally lol

The perk of being in that white male majority