Do you believe in the Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Morning Star, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Do you believe in the afterlife?

1. Yes, it's real.

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. I cannot say. I'll know for sure once I cease to function.

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

This morning, I've stumbled across an article from Newsweek magazine and the subject matter is Proof of Heaven: A Doctor's Experience with the Afterlife. Dr. Eben Alexander, a neurosurgeon, who still identifies himself as a Christian, fell into a coma years back. Now granted, given his knowledge in neurosurgery, he would have to ground himself into the idea of what happens to the brain when it cease to function altogether.

Yet, when he fell into the coma, he experienced something that was beyond unreal and human explanation. According to Dr. Alexander, he was essentially in, what he interprets as heaven. You're free to more on the article by clicking on the link. But more so, I want to ask you all the following question:

Do you believe in the afterlife? Why or Why not?

For those who say they do, then:

• What's your interpretation of the afterlife?
    • Do you think everybody, regardless of their behaviors in this life, can go to the same place?
    • Who do you hope to see in the afterlife?

For those who don't believe in the afterlife, then:

• Why do people believe in the afterlife?
    • Should there be some level of doubt in your own process?
    • Has this article opened the possibility of an afterlife?

I look forward to your responses.

[​IMG]

2. LibraPrincess

LibraPrincess Well-Known Member

I don't believe in the afterlife.

1.People believe in it because they probably want to think of it as a fairy tale ending after someone dies.

2.There is no level of doubt in my answer, it's my opinion, and everyone is entitled for their own, so there it is.

3.The article didn't move me whatsoever to my already-beliefs. Honestly, I don't want to be mean to anyone who does believe in afterlife,
    (if you do, cool, I do not judge!)

but when people die, they die. It's not sleeping, it's not going up to another dimension, but really, it's just--blankness and silence. Simple as that, really.

Again, this is in MY opinion and MY own thoughts. Everyone else's thoughts are completely their own, and I don't judge. :)

3. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Yes. That is all.

4. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

I do not need to read an article some random doctor accounted for his personal experiences and shared his feelings to know that Heaven is real.

While I believe we are all entitled to our own opinions and religion is a very sensitive subject, I can tell you are trying to engage in a very deep, thought-provoking topic. I will not provide my opinion to answer #2.

I am prayerful that I will get to hold my son again when I get to Heaven. Since he was only a month old when we lost him, I wonder sometimes how exactly that will be. I look foward to seeing my only childhood mother-figure, my grandmother, and my uncles. I want to see my other family members and friends who have passed before me.

5. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Yelp, it's real to me. And I'll know for sure when I die. Lol

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Interesting topic MS. I do believe consciousness does exist beyond what we percieve as death. I personally dont know since I have not experienced death but a Ive seen too much to think we are at a point in science to truly concieve the nature of the universe. Its constantly changing, even our definition of death has changed. Its not just brain dead anymore. What we experience after what we consider life is done os definitely up in the air but I do think its something. Nothingness doesnt make sense to me.

7. stiletoes

stiletoes Well-Known Member

Yeah..you are the KING...had a personal experience...yes I believe..nuff said

8. The Dark King

It seems like all cultures do more or less. I have a hard time understanding why some don't. I get not agreeing with certain specifics but not to believe at all?
    I guess it makes life less complicated that way

9. Liquid Swords

Liquid Swords New Member

No. I don't.

I'm comfortable knowing that when I die I will simply decompose and become part of the nitrogen cycle. It sucks that those I love don't exist in any kind of way anymore. I'd love to believe they're chillin' on a cloud somewhere but I'm too logical to believe that.

Not believing in the afterlife has made me want to live this life, the only life I'll ever have, to the full though. So that's a positive thing.

Edit - I realised I didn't answer any of the questions, haha.

I don't know why people believe. I guess it's a crutch to get through each day.

I don't have any doubts.

The article didn't change my view at all.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  10. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

I know a man who doesn't believe. He believes we live a life and just die and it's over. No spirits, deities, witch craft, churches, ect. He says life is less complicated that way. He is very wealthy and seems very happy. I was raised to believe therefore I do. I would hate the outcome for people come judgement day, (if there is one,{I believe it is}), if they didn't.

11. justmel

justmel New Member

What's your interpretation of the afterlife?

I believe that there is a heaven after earth.
    Do you think everybody, regardless of their behaviors in this life, can go to the same place?
    Yes, we only see part of a situation, we don't know what anyone else has been through or their thought processes. Somehow there is a fair system and not being God, I am okay with that.

Who do you hope to see in the afterlife?
    My mama, my hubby, our children, nana, papa, my brother.
    My hs best friend and a tons of kick ass musicians.

12. The Dark King

Ive actually considered this at great length. Ibe of my biggest road blocks arwme mediums and those who claim to have seen ghosts of people they never met

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

religion has been used for various reasons good and bad. is there an afterlife...no one knows except for the ones that had died...and they have not told me yet

14. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

• Why do people believe in the afterlife?
    It makes them feel better than hearing that you don't go any where. Everyone wants to have a happy ending.

• Should there be some level of doubt in your own process?
    I hope I am wrong because I would like to be immortal in some way.

• Has this article opened the possibility of an afterlife?
    No, You can write an article about a dragon in space. Until I see it myself, it doesn't exist.

15. satyr

satyr New Member

Death is the end of consciousness and I believe that the finality of it creates the need for the concept of an afterlife.

I didn't read the article but I'd be interested in a cross-cultural (and historical) analysis of so-called "near-death experiences" with input from non-Christians and ancient commentators.

16. The Dark King

there's a great documentary on netflix about that. You should check it out. I believed its called Near Death or NDE. Its either by National Geographic or Discover Science

17. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

No, don't believe in it. Personally I think religion is laughable. But hey, people can believe whatever the hell they want to believe, as long as they don't expect me to agree with them. :p

18. traveler24

traveler24 New Member

I have been an ICU RN for many years. Have had several patients talk about near death experiences. One had a cardiac arrest, we worked on her for around 40 minutes. She was technically dead. No heart beat, no repirations - of her own. She 'came back' and survived. The next day was talking to her. She described being above, looking down. Described everything that was said and done.

19. The Dark King

That was covered in the documentary I suggested to Saty.
    It really challenges our idea about consciousness or at the very least the reliability of our technology. Maybe our instruments aren't sensitive/calibrated enough to really measure brain activity.
    I'm also still waiting for someone to help me understand the concept of mediums who know things they could not know without help of some sort.
    I went to a random medium with a friend unexpectedly. We were just driving around and impulsively decided to check one out.
    The woman knew about personal family shit that my friend didn't know, she knew that my grandmother had died recently, and other stuff that wouldn't be possible for a stranger to know. So many people have shared that experience and I'm still waiting for someone to really explain that and not just dismiss it as a fluke.

20. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

I'm a follower of Shirley MacLaine