Do you believe in the Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Morning Star, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Do you believe in the afterlife?

1. Yes, it's real.

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. I cannot say. I'll know for sure once I cease to function.

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

All that means is humans are insane, we just be the result of bad code, defective genetic material that multiplied. Most of the shit we do goes completely against our own self interest as a species yet we do insane act after insane act ignoring the obvious damage it's doing to us.
    Much of that insanity comes from having a body and all the insecurities that come with that.

2. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Actually the majority of that "insanity" you speak of comes from our greed.

We are the only species on the planet that destroys its own environment. Why? Because of GREED. We care more about the almighty dollar than the Almighty. See what I did there? LOL.

But, seriously, most of humanity's actions that go against our own self-interests are based solely on greed.

3. The Dark King

True but the greed comes from a serious fear of not having enough. Grab all you can because winter is coming. The earth will purge herself of ad many of us as possible soon enough.

4. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Lmao someone's looking forward to game of thrones

5. The Dark King

[​IMG]

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

What cracks me up is that they're always talking about winter like its not currently happening, even tho there's already snow and cold temps everywhere

I'd hate to see what happens when it really hits lol

7. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Shows how little you know about the weather in westeros. Yes, the winter they are talking about iscwaynworse than the regular winters. The last one happened like 20 years or so ago

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

There you go being sassy again

9. FG

FG Well-Known Member

You got me:freehug:

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

lol. i have to rep u on that...."insane"....lol

12. Bookworm616

When I said greed, I meant more money is making us destroy our environment and air.

The Earth does purge herself and likely will be doing it again, I totally agree with that.

I questioned my faith in my teenage years and early 20s, but when I learned in my schooling that humans, tens of thousands of years before civilizations and organized religions came into prominence, they buried their dead with grave goods.

If there wasn't a higher power, then why would they have done that? It's just always something that made me go hmmmm.....

13. The Dark King

Elephants mourn their dead too. Emotional loss is a real thing but doesn't mean proof of God. Humans use to also leave bodies by the ocean thinking a higher power was taking the bodies to the under world when in fact it was only the ride which they had no idea of yet.

14. Bookworm616

What humans left bodies by the ocean?

The ancient Egyptians used to believe that the sun god was taken by chariot by other gods across the sky every day down to the underworld until the next day.

That doesn't prove that there isn't a God.

Animals are sentient beings. They've been proven to show emotion. To me, that shows that they have souls.

15. The Dark King

Early humans Egyptians aren't as ancient as we paint them

16. Bookworm616

Ancient, in this instance, means that they were around thousands of years ago, nothing more.

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Hilarious.
    Further proof Teresa is a fraud, she's now hawking her new commemorative jewelry line to "help heal her fans...and validate how people feel".

18. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Science still can't isolate what makes some people straight and others gay.
    How many cancers has science cured??

The amount of knowledge we know about the brain is in some ways very minimal, I say this from general conversations I've had with a relative's psychiatrist at the VA.

It's not that hard to believe science has very few answers about what happens after death.

You ever wonder why human beings as a species are defined by their consciousness and being self-aware, yet as far as we know, no other species on the planet is??

Why is it that human beings have free will and aren't just a bundle of instinctive actions and reactions??

For those who speculate that the complexity and structure of the human brain automatically includes consciousness, that would assume if an AI developer built a digital mind roughly on par with the human brain, by some unknown process that computer brain would suddenly become self-aware and concerned with its own self interests.

We are on our way to seeing if this really is the case, but I don't think we'll ever see in our lifetimes a computer that possesses human level consciousness, unless it's some form of a cybernetic organism fused with organic human parts.

Lastly, I say this; most mornings when I wake up I'm fully aware that I've been involved in an elaborate dream for hours, but if I don't make conscious effort to recall it, within 30-60 minutes I've forgotten most of the details.

We simply don't know what we don't know.

Science will be slow to discover truths about the after-death experience because their working assumption is there IS NO EXISTENCE once you die.

History is filled with 'absolute scientific truths' that were proven in error by later generations.

19. The Dark King

Momentary consciousness doesn't necessarily mean eternal consciousness though. It's in my best interest to be wrong about this but I'd love to see some type of observable proof. Anything that can be duplicated that shows me that there is something rather than a ton of wishful thinking. I guess we'll all see at some point.

20. Bookworm616

The very definition of faith is belief without proof.

You have to have faith that there is something after death.