Marvel And Netflix's A.K.A. JESSICA JONES

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by darkcurry, Aug 15, 2015.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

3. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

The above dude was right....there was a previous thread. Unfortunately it has such a silly and vague title that not everyone will immediately be able to figure out it is dedicated to the Jessica Jones series. So I will post this new bit of information here in this more aptly titled thread.

Those of you who have complained about the lack of explicit sex scenes between white women and black men on TV and in film will be interested in this report from Shadow and Act. It appears the first episode of the show was screened at the New York Comic Con and here is an interesting writeup of some of what the people saw.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowan...involved-in-the-jessica-jones-series-20151013

Much more recently, over the past weekend, at the New York Comic Con, Mike Colter shared more in an interview with ComicBook.com. "I can tell you what they've allowed me to, which is basically, Luke Cage will take place a few months after Jessica Jones... So in real time, if you watch 'Jessica Jones,' you’ll find Luke Cage uptown in Harlem, working, trying to make ends meet. Luke Cage really hasn’t figured out what he’s doing. He's tending bar, he's bouncing around. And for good reason, he's a fugitive, he has some skeletons in his closet... He's trying to basically stay off the radar. The people he hangs around with, though, are in need. Ultimately, he'd rather be alone, but with the way he's equipped he does step up. That's what it’s about, it's about finding that inner feeling to make you want to take action. Sometimes we just sit around, and sit on our hands and don't do anything because it’s like 'Hey, that's not my problem.' You can’t do that when you're a superhero. You have these gifts, now use them."

And finally, also at New York Comic Con, the first episode was screened for fans, and, by all accounts, it was a massive hit. Vulture summarized the episode, applauding its "shockingly and refreshingly honest" depiction of sex and sexuality, compared to the rest of Marvel's cinematic and televised released. Specifically, here's a piece of the write-up: "But y'know what's delightfully unsubtle? The sex scene that will have everyone's eyebrows on the ceiling once it hits Netflix in November. The episode introduces us to Mike Colter's Luke Cage, a beefy superhuman (though he's not yet revealed as such) who will soon star in his own Netflix series. In a sequence lifted more or less directly from the comics series Jessica Jones is based on, a depressed Jessica finds Luke at the bar he runs and confidently hits on him. He's coy at first, accusing her of flirting with him, but Jessica says she doesn't flirt: she just gets what she wants. "What do you want?" Luke asks. Smash cut to Luke on top of Jessica in his bed, going at it with a sexual fury unlike anything Marvel (or DC, for that matter) has even come close to putting on screen. She eggs him on, and when he warns her that she might not be able to take it, she insists she can. At that point, he flips her over and starts taking her from behind while the camera focuses on her impassioned face. It's a scene where Jessica is in total control of her sexuality. Whatever her reason may be for banging Luke, she's doing it on her terms. It's the way real-life grown-ups have sex, not the way neutered TV superheroes do. The audience at Comic Con seemed to simultaneously clutch its pearls and lean forward in titillated fascination."

4. JamalSpunky

5. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Can't a mod just merge the 2 threads?

6. JamalSpunky

I was thinking about that but....I have not seen much evidence of mods on this site.

7. darkcurry

Jessica Jones First Official Trailer is Here

[YOUTUBE]nWHUjuJ8zxE[/YOUTUBE]

8. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I really like the tone, It seems to capture the essence of the original comic book pretty well. And it's interesting that they didn't shy away from showing the Jessica Jones/Luke Cage IR hookup in the trailer.

9. darkcurry

Krysten Ritter said that was the goal. Don't want to do too much.

10. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

They did an amazing job with Daredevil a few months ago so I am eager to see how this is going to turn out.

Also, the main villain is going to be played by David Tennant which means that I am going to be watching the absolute shit out of this one.

11. bilbo

bilbo Active Member

Looks alright, probably won't watch but I like that the brother seems to hold his own and is dicking her down. Quite the departure from how we're usually portrayed as sexually non-threatening like Will Smith. They need to let the brother in Star Wars get some tang too.

[​IMG]

12. SmoothDaddy101

SmoothDaddy101 Well-Known Member

I like that the brotha is NOT made in the Tyler Perry/gelding mold. I'll watch this for sure. As far as the cat from STAR WARS, he's British, so I'm sure he'll get his if he makes films in the UK. He'll be fine if be DOESN'T make films in America.

13. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

You should check it out. It's going to be an adult take on a comic book show. Just like they did Daredevil series a few months back.

14. JamalSpunky

SMH

15. JamalSpunky

He's doing an American movie made in America right now before he starts work on the SW sequel. Lo and behold in this American film made in America of all places he plays a major role as the love interest of Emma Watson. Luckily he didn't take your advice I suppose.

16. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Holy shit I can't wait to watch this. I think I may throw a little get together.

17. SmoothDaddy101

SmoothDaddy101 Well-Known Member

Okay, I admit I'm a bit behind and haven't kept up with the scene. It more than often looks discouraging.

18. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

19. darkcurry

Love it.:)

20. nero

nero Member

This is a good show for us and I enjoy it, but I have noticed minor scenes that serve to undermine Jessica and Luke's relationship throughout the show. When making a show, they can't get rid off all IR scenes, but they can make you film supplementary scenes for their peace of mind. (Once you go black, don't want you back mentality) Jessica is portrayed as extremely poor and trashy while Trish who is dating a wm is portrayed as upper-class and wealthy. Will's character just serves to undermine their relationship.

Check out these two scenes. The "You're cut off" (financially) and I'm a piece of shit while lying on garbage. Then there's the "doing something so shameful" and "Black shit inside me."
    Only watched up to episode 7 but felt compelled after watching this to share with you.