The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Pffft. Please. Drunk or sober it's good to see you posting even if it's just a one time stop in. :-D:smt023

2. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[youtube]i7TE_MhsOLs[/youtube]

A dissection of all the clues in the trailer.

3. SilverSmith

[​IMG]

Stan Lee Responds to Critics of Human Torch Casting
    July 2015
    Link

Marvel Comics legend and Fantastic Four co-creator Stan Lee weighed in on the controversy surrounding Michael B. Jordan's casting as the Human Torch in the upcoming Fantastic Four film during an interview with Entertainment Weekly.

Jordan's casting has drawn harsh criticism from fans looking for a more "traditional" Johnny Storm, who is depicted as blonde-haired and White in Marvel Comics.

"I thought it was a great idea!" Lee said, regarding Jordan's role. "They [the critical fans] are outraged not because of any personal prejudice...they're outraged because they hate to see any change made on a series and characters they had gotten familiar with. In Spider-Man, when they got a new actor, that bothered them, even though it was a White actor. I don't think it had to do with racial prejudice as much as they don't like things changed."

"I think they’re gonna get to love this character," he continued, "So I'm not the least bit worried about it. I always tried to pepper these groups with as much racial diversity as possible because that’s the way the world is."

Lee isn't the only one to have responded to this backlash; Jordan himself also penned a letter about the issue in May. "It used to bother me, but it doesn’t anymore," he wrote. "I can see everybody's perspective, and I know I can't ask the audience to forget 50 years of comic books. But the world is a little more diverse in 2015 than when the Fantastic Four comic first came out in 1961. Plus, if Stan Lee writes an email to my director saying, 'You’re good. I'm okay with this,' who am I to go against that?"

4. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Am i the only one here who watches Mr. Robot on USA? Great show. Especially, if you're already paranoid.

5. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Surprised that Stan Lee gave an okay on Michael B. Jordan being cast as Human Torch.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I love it when the big guy and I are on the same page. Excelsior!

I agree. It's a great show. The character's mental state and drug use also makes it creepy b/c I can't tell what's real, what's fsociety and what's drug-induced paranoia and his emotional instability.

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I've caught the first episode and liked it, but I've had other things going on that has kept me from watch all the other episodes. I plan on catching up on it pretty soon, especially since one of my co-workers who's on the sci-fi/nerd end like me is always on me to watch it.

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Why are you surprised? Stan Lee created both the Falcon and the Black Panther, with Black Panther being the first official black mainstream superhero and Falcon the first official African American superhero. Nevermind that he's probably getting paid every time anyone of the Marvel characters he created shows up on the big screen no matter what color or gender they make them and even if the movies bombs.

9. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I'm a little confused by Stan Lee defending Johnny Storm being played by a black actor, a character that has always been white, while also defending keeping a white Spider-Man when that character actually has been black.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/06/30...r-explains-why-sony-agreement-white-straight/

So Lee wants characters to "stay as they are", but at the same time is cool with them not doing so racially.

So which is it?

I'm a bit biased, I just want Childish Gambino to play Spider-Man.

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I think with Spider-Man it's because he's considered the Marvel mascot character more so than other characters, so no matter what he'll probably be one of those characters that will stay true to the original Peter Parker version. Same thing with Superman at DC. You're not going to see a Black, Hispanic, Asian or gay Superman on the big screen.

11. orejon4

True. Spidey IS Marvel Comics. And even though he's been rebooted and parallel universed, Peter Parker will remain the face of Spidey, even as Miles' becomes dominant in the pages of the comic. The FF have been marginal for quite a while. Marvel had come to be almost defined by Spidey and the X-Men.

12. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I think there is some confusion about this issue. The "Spider-Man must be white and straight" rule that Sony/Marvel have is only referring to Peter Parker's version of Spider-Man, and Stan Lee was agreeing with them. The Black Spider-Man is a completely different character underneath the mask.

The seemingly double standard for Spidey and Human Torch is as easily explained by the iconic status that Spidey has, and the Human Torch doesn't have.

Peter Parker is right up there with Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, and Wolverine.
    when it comes to essential physical details they have to have.

13. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

That explains it

14. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I get that Peter Parker is white, and he's super iconic and all that.

What I don't get is why it's not possible to get Miles Morales on screen. I'm so over Parker, they've made and remade the movies so much, it's getting stale for me.

In the same vein I would also be happy to see Ben Reilly. There's so many spider clones and alternate universes and whatnot, there's a wealth of story to draw from that could make a really good movie. I just think it would be cool to change it up and try something new.

I think it's absolutely stupid to just do a race change on Storm without any real reason. Nick Fury was white traditionally and then he got a race change, but that also happened in the comics. He didn't even get a name change.

I admit my bias, though. I'd love to see Morales on screen, I think it could be really cool. I also think Fantastic Four has been screwed since the beginning when it comes to films. I also hate all of the x-men movies. I never really felt drawn to the avengers in comics but I really like the movies. If I read the comics I may dislike them, idk. I'm really picky about adaptations of things I like, so really I would be better off if I didn't know much about Spider-Man and the x-men so I wouldn't really care lol

I'm quietly hoping for a freakin awesome Sandman movie.

15. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Don't be. He's always been a fairly progressive minded person growing up. If he had problems, he'd have more creative control over the movies.

16. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I think Marvel and Sony wanted to get their new Marvel Cinematic Universe version of Spider-Man up and running before they expand too much. I'm positive that we will see Miles Morales on the big screen at some point. He is too popular of a character for Marvel to ignore.

If this upcoming Fantastic Four tanks, It might behoove Fox to approach Marvel with a deal similar to what Sony did with Spider-Man. I really believe that Fantastic Four would do so much better in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

17. SilverSmith

[​IMG]

Bryan Singer Defends Apocalypse Costume
    July 31, 2015

When the first shots of Oscar Isaac as the titular villain of X-Men: Apocalypse hit the Internet, some fans were immediately critical, drawing comparisons between Apocalypse and the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie villain Ivan Ooze. :p

In the pages of Empire, director Bryan Singer defended the costume, saying it stays true to the design from the comics.

“He'll be very similar to images in the comic,” Singer says. “There's obviously something very futuristic and yet ancient to the design of both his costume and his physicality.”

http://tinyurl.com/qbbwkgd

18. orejon4

Oscar Isaac is a great actor. I'm looking forward to this film to see what he brings to the character.

19. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

20. SilverSmith

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New photos courtesy from the film, courtesy of Empire magazine.