Why Not White Privilege

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by The Dark King, Mar 23, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

https://medium.com/@elizabethgrattan/my-white-privilege-12804fb20697

Just read this piece on white privilege and it was very interesting. I appreciated how aware and insightful the author was but then I had a thought. So what if she's aware, so what if she acknowledges how wrong things are?
    Does it change anything? Is it really a lack of education and overwhelming ignorance that marries people to this chaotic way of thinking where skin tone can and often times determines quality of life?
    I often wonder what incentive does any white person have to want things change. Don't they have their own problems, their own goals and dreams to be met? What does an even playing field do for them?
    It's the same issue many of us have in the Western world where we are upset about outsourcing and globalization. It's great for a lot of emerging countries who's standard of living has greatly increased but horrible for American workers who could have at one time earned a decent lifestyle with as little as a hs diploma but now people with Masters degrees are struggling.
    When I sit back from an objective perspective removing my own personal well being from the picture I have to wonder.
    What's in it for them to be fair? Why not let inequality push on since it ensures they're less likely to go hungry, less likely to go to prison, less likely to be unemployed, less likely to be homeless, less likely to endure the systematic injustices designed for the least amongst us?
    Just musing would love to hear what some of you think especially the women.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

[​IMG]

3. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

It's still important for people to discuss because most White folk are unaware White privilege even exists, and are in denial that racism isn't something vindictive Black people and guilt ridden liberals made up.

Change begins with awareness.

4. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Co sing this, I know way too many white folks that think it doesn't exist the only reason they believe that is mostly because the only have white friends. Its shocking to me they don't get it

5. The Dark King

Unfortunately they don't have to get it

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Thread is a total failure as expected

7. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Remember that hashtag #criminwhilewhite? There are so many examples of Whites getting away with a lot of things.

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Blacks get away with things too (don't make me testify up in here y'all)...it's just white people get away with so much more

*cries*

*stamps feet*

9. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Yeah,against other Blacks. The prision population is more minority than Whites. They do get away with a lot of stuff. Could a young White male gets treated like that brother at UVA? No.

10. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Agree.

11. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

White privilege is a myth and racism doesnt exist anymore and if you vent here about how black men are being shot like cows with dead cow syndrome by white cops, you are anti-white according to some people here :cool:

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

When a person posts/shows criticism about the things white people do/don't do all the time and never shows appreciation for the positive things they do.....yes...you may be 'anti-white'

Reverse the roles and have white people here focus on criticizing things attributed to blacks, and see how that holds up in court

13. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

I am not even talking about the obvious person you are preferring to, this anti-white statement statement was a blanket statement made after a number of black men who are not known to constantly attack white people were making remarks about this incessant shooting of black men by white cops:cool:

14. The Dark King

What were you expecting? lol

15. The Dark King

Well that's the great thing about being white because I can criticize and it has zero impact. It doesn't effect their employment opportunities, where they get to live, or how they're treated by the overall system. They get to be individuals. And not for nothing we are bombarded on a daily basis of all of their accomplishments and good deeds. They have to set aside a month for us that no one cares about for us to get a little positive attention. The other 11 months are hide your wives hide your kids month.

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Well seeing as tho you wanted responses from white people here.....and the fact that there aren't really any around anymore....

Hmmmm

17. The Dark King

That's right forgot that was my fault lol

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

The ratio of women to men here is lookin like china, kid

19. The Dark King

That's right blame the black guy lol

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member