The 'Straight Outta Compton' Casting Call Is So Offensive It Will Make Your Jaw Drop

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sirius Dogon, Jul 18, 2014.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

and they will float.

2. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I think you guys are forgetting what time period this was. Late 80's. This is how it was. Period. And, if they're going to be true to their story then this is going to be part of it. It's just how it was with young black men back then. Chicks with light skin and long, straight or wavy to curly hair (good hair) were automatically seen as the most desirable. Darker girls, no matter how pretty, weren't generrally considered as attractive as thier "high yellow" counter parts.

And lest we forget, the same was true for guys in the early to mid 80's. Cats who looked like El Debarge and Prince were seen as the most desirable.

After that era, the pendulum swung too far in the opposite direction. Suddenly, you weren't really black unless you were dark skinned with nappy hair and spoke street slang. So glad we're getting away from that.

So, I guess you guys would rather they swept that aspect of their lives under the rug because it'd make you feel better?

3. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I won't speak for others obviously but I certainly wasn't implying that they can't cast the types they want into those roles. I just think there was a less offensive way of outlining their casting call. I don't believe everything needs to be PC but I do think people should be respectful of others...even in their attempts to cast less-than-model-types.

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i get what you are saying but here is the the thang;

1) the movie is bout nwa....so there is really no need for colorism.

2) the casting call flyer just ooze colorism

3) just because we did it back then does it mean you continue it. you know better do better.

just my opinion

5. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

once again lippy you're f*in hilarious

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Michael Jackson was also in that group, too. In the 70's, he was black. In the mid 80's he was black (on Thriller). But on the album Bad, he had lightened up and was briefly married Lisa-Marie Presley and looked like an under baked yeast roll on the You Are Not Alone video.