The 'Straight Outta Compton' Casting Call Is So Offensive It Will Make Your Jaw Drop

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sirius Dogon, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ng-call_n_5597010.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

[​IMG]

The folks over at Universal Pictures have made a great deal of progress with the upcoming film "Straight Outta Compton," which will tell the story of the infamous West Coast rap group N.W.A.

The biopic, produced by former N.W.A members Ice Cube and Dr. Dre along with Tomica Woods-Wright, the widow of fellow N.W.A rapper Eazy-E, garnered quite a bit of excitement in June, when Universal announced that the film will hit theaters in August 2015. That announcement was accompanied by a thrilling photo of the featured cast members. But the latest glimpse into the movie's progress is too cringe-worthy for words.

A casting call for the movie was recently posted on the Facebook page of the Sande Alessi Casting company. The post will raise quite a few eyebrows:

Although the original Facebook post has since been removed, the page includes other casting calls for the film.

Where do we begin? From the "hottest of the hottest" girls with "great bodies," to the "fine" girls who "should be light-skinned," right down to the girls who are "not in good shape" with "medium to dark skin tone," this casting call reeks of so many problematic things -- most notably, colorism and sexism.

Sande Alessi Casting has yet to respond to the criticism. In the meantime, plenty of commenters have expressed their outrage on the company's Facebook page.

[​IMG]

We were certainly impressed with the casting of the flick's lead roles, including Ice Cube's son, O'Shea Jackson, Jr., depicting his father. But this move seriously has our skin crawling

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

surprised no. angered yes.
    why? if you know your history (especially referring to the doll test done back around 1940 where kids , girls, saw black as ugly) . the doll test was done within 3-4 years ago where kids (girls) pretty much saw black as ugly.

here today is the same thing still going.

damn....fools have no pride in themselves

3. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

This has to be some dumb as fuck prank, right??

Too sad on too many levels if it was a true casting call.

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i wish it was.....i saw it on good morning americas ticker this morning.

5. RaiderLL

Crazy.

6. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

I thought the same thing, this can't be real.

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i know....

8. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

LOL. You know too many dudes break down chicks this way.

I don't have categories, just if she looks good to me or not.

If you're one of those cats who chooses a female based on how she's going to handle being critiqued by your boys, then I guess you rate women like sports cars.

Is there really a difference between A and B girls???:smt081:smt119:smt110

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

yeah there are some low self esteem dudes out there

10. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

I rate sports cars better than this BS. Lol

11. buglerroller

buglerroller Well-Known Member

so they are wrong because they are specific to what type of women they want for the movie?

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i dont think you read it. you may want to read it carefully....

13. RaiderLL

Heck no. They're wrong for how they're going about it. Perpetuating the stereotype that light is beautiful and dark is somehow less-than.

B GIRLS: You should be light-skinned.

C GIRLS: These are African American girls, medium to light skinned with a weave.

D GIRLS: These are African American girls. Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone.

14. buglerroller

i read it... reminds me of a saying "i am responsible for what i say and not what you understand."

15. buglerroller

ahhhh! got it... them is fighting words.

16. goodlove

goodlove New Member

exactly.....i figured you probably skimmed thru it and missed.

i did the same thing until i saw light skinned and then i reread that shit...and i was like.... what?.

17. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

While Spike Lee was making the film School Daze he separated light-skinned black women from the dark-skinned black women so that the rift between the "Jigaboos" and the "Wannabes" would be captured on film. The scene where they do the musical number "Right Or Wrong Hair" was well done. And Lee's attempt was to show the latent racism within the Black race.

When rappers went from making music videos to films that went straight to video, they had only one prop that sold the show; a gun. You didn't see a lot of women on those posters or vhs boxes. Like their music productions, the films were low-budget. It wouldn't surprise me at all. But, I think that if Dr. Dre and company were really behind this "production," I'd think they would have had better marketing.

18. hellified

hellified Active Member

its not a joke..its show business and the perpetuation of associating dark skin with unattractive and light skin with beauty.

this is where and how the jezebel/sapphire/mammy stereotypes were developed in the 19th century and your seeing the continuation of it in the 21st century.

[​IMG]

19. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i wonder if cube and or the others released a statement on this.

also, its really bad that blacks keep pushing this shit or anybody for that matter

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  20. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

The only bad thing about CA falling into the ocean is all the plastic people will pollute the water