John Mellencamp's - Jack and Diane Origanally About Interracial Couple

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by blackbull1970, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I did not know Ms.Ian is biracial. I learn something every day.

2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Janis Ian wrote a song about an IR couple, "Society's Child", and her parents were active in the Civil Rights movement, but I couldn't find one citation that she's the product of Black and White parents.
    http://www.jpost.com/Arts-and-Culture/Music/At-60-Janis-Ian-is-no-longer-lonely

Based on her celebrity and pro civil rights views, I think if Ms. Ian was mixed it would be treated as more of a big deal in the media.

Was that reference based off memory or did you read it somewhere??

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I had heard about Janis Ian's story on television more than twenty years ago.

4. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Given that Janis was 14 years old when she wrote this tune, Society's Child in 1967 released when Janis was 16 might be THE most shocking and controversial song about IR romance EVER written.

She got death threats for this track and did not care one bit.[YOUTUBE]yW_rYLoIR08[/YOUTUBE]

5. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

I remember hearing about that such a shame for what she had to go through. :(

6. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

I always wondered about that "cherry bomb" vid.

With the black kid dancing and pawing at the white girl, while mellencamp sits ominously in the background singing about the back in the day when "our hearts were in it" and "cherry bomb" (meaning loss of innocence?)...

I always thought that song (based on the vid & lyrics) was in fact anti-interracial...

Here's the vid:

[YOUTUBE]KF0gsbQKhD8[/YOUTUBE]