People versus oj

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Feb 11, 2016.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Did you guys watch the miniseries on fx? What did you think of it?

Do you remember how blacks really felt about oj?

Well how did oj bring race to the public and how he change TV?

I remember when the "chase" went down. I was watching the NBA finals and I was pissed when they broken in with a live broadcast...damn it oj. Do you remember when it went down?

https://youtu.be/ahc-F7ut5j8

2. K

K Well-Known Member

We were talking about it the other day.

I'm not watching the miniseries. I have no interest in doing so. No need, I was an adult when the trial took over all tv. I was explaining to my adult kids how the trial took over. I think it's tough to really get it if you didn't live through it. It was on network tv and you couldn't get away from it. Then the news would recap it after it had been on all day. I'm sure we were probably even more bombarded with it being in California.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions is that people thought Black people were all saying he was innocent and cheering him on. When much of that cheering was not about him and in fact many Black people felt he was guilty too. It was more about seeing a Black man finally "beat the system" that white people had been doing for so long.

There was nothing ever like that trial though and there probably will never be anything like it again.

That trial was probably the real major start of "Reality TV"

I remember the breakin on the "chase" and when they were talking on air and didn't know what was going on.

3. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

I remember it. and like K, I was an adult when it happened. I don't want to see the miniseries at all.

I remember walking into work the next day being the only Black person there...no one talked to me that day more than the customary "good morning" which came across as they were having their teeth pulled just to say that.

Fine with me, lol

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Oh yeah. I remember that too.

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I have no interest in watching the show, either. The trial was a drama unto itself. I don't even want to talk to anyone about the trial. A friend of mine asked me about it and I tol him how I felt.

6. K

K Well-Known Member

I think anyone who was of age during that time had more than enough of it all then. No need to continue to bring it up. I really feel for the families involved.

I do remember I was married at the time and some "friends" and "family members" said things about how it was a good thing I didn't end up marrying one of the Black men I dated or I could have ended up like Nicole. There were all sorts of things said like that about IR. It brought out a lot of things that people had always thought but never said.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I have heard the statement, "If O.J. was married to a black woman, none of this would happen." Well, O.J. was married to a black woman before Nicole. Singer Millie Jackson often remarked over this issue. She was very opposed to IR. I had read somewhere that when O.J. was on trial many white men decided to join the KKK. One white female said to a tv news reporter that she would do anything to make O.J's life a living hell after his acquittal. I was in my late 20's and the film The Fugitive was out before the incident occurred. I remember seeing the preliminary hearing. I remember the detective named Otis Marlowe. He practically sang like a bird. I think he didn't like detective Mark Fuhrman as he dropped his name on a couple of occasions. Then came DNA attorney Barry Schenk, who really put the LAPD crime lab in the spotlight.

8. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

It's still one of the best soap operas ever on cable TV.
    People are really missing out if they refuse to watch it because they already lived through the real thing.

The creative casting of Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ was brilliant, by focusing less on OJ's superstar status and showing how weak, pathetic and confused he was during that entire episode.

The cameo by the Kardashians when they were kids was hilarious.

What the miniseries shows that many of us missed at the time was all the political infighting among OJ's legal team and how Johnny Cochran eventually took over his defense.

I forgot at one time it was assumed OJ had committed suicide when they lost contact with him for several hours after he left Rob Kardashian's home.

Additionally, I didn't remember that LAPD were in siege mode waiting at OJ's Brentwood home for his return and were prepared to gun him down if he didn't surrender peacefully.

I thought the miniseries would be boring for all the reasons people mentioned, but apparently the script was based on all the books that came out after the trial that contained all the minutia details that took place behind the scenes.

For instance I never new that Johnny Cochran was playing Chris Darden from the beginning of this case.

But the show by itself is entertaining, melodramatic and funny.

IMO it's worth the watch.

9. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I had seen it. It brings memories. I never forget the scene at Chris Darden's back yard when his neighbors said in reply of OJ being "Black" and not giving to the community:"Well with the police after him,he is surely Black now". I was ROFL.

10. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was real and very funny.
    There's several moments like that in this miniseries which is why it's such a great soap opera, considering the subject matter.

Another one was when the Kardashian kids were sitting around the TV watching their father being interviewed and the reporters kept mispronouncing his name(probably the most recognizable and correctly pronounced family name in America since 2010.)

I don't which girl it was, but she yelled at the TV, "It's Kardashian!!"

THen ALL the kids starting clapping in time like a cheerleader cult and yell out K-A-R-D-A-S-H-I-A-N!!!

Malcolm Jamal Warner playing AJ Cowlings, OJ's intensely loyal BFF.
    [​IMG]

I didn't expect to like it but now I have to see it until the end.:drinkers:

11. Soulthinker

Thanks for sharing that photo Andreboba. Other than Lance Ito,A.J. Cowlings was not in the public eye. Oh yes, in the whatever happened section neither,Jason and Arnelle Simpson was mentioned only their younger half siblings Sydney and Justin.

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

He surely not the pin-up guy for IR

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I wish I had watched it. I remember a lot of the racial issues that came up.

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I, too, remember the racial.comments.

15. Soulthinker

On Ellen,Ms.Clark tried to dodge the question of whether or not she and Chris Darden make out.