P.T.S.S. Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ches, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Thoughts? Has anyone read the book?

http://joydegruy.com/resources-2/post-traumatic-slave-syndrome/
    Slave Syndrome

POST TRAUMATIC SLAVE SYNDROME
    As a result of twelve years of quantitative and qualitative research Dr. DeGruy has developed her theory of Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome, and published her findings in the book Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome – America’s Legacy of Enduring Injury and Healing”. The book addresses the residual impacts of generations of slavery and opens up the discussion of how the black community can use the strengths we have gained in the past to heal in the present.
    WHAT IS P.T.S.S.?
    P.T.S.S. is a theory that explains the etiology of many of the adaptive survival behaviors in African American communities throughout the United States and the Diaspora. It is a condition that exists as a consequence of multigenerational oppression of Africans and their descendants resulting from centuries of chattel slavery. A form of slavery which was predicated on the belief that African Americans were inherently/genetically inferior to whites. This was then followed by institutionalized racism which continues to perpetuate injury.
    Thus, resulting in M.A.P.:
    M: Multigenerational trauma together with continued oppression;
    A: Absence of opportunity to heal or access the benefits available in the society; leads to
    P: Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome.
    Under such circumstances these are some of the predictable patterns of behavior that tend to occur:
    KEY PATTERNS OF BEHAVIOR REFLECTIVE OF P.T.S.S.
    Vacant Esteem
    Insufficient development of what Dr. DeGruy refers to as primary esteem, along with feelings of hopelessness, depression and a general self destructive outlook.
    Marked Propensity for Anger and Violence
    Extreme feelings of suspicion perceived negative motivations of others. Violence against self, property and others, including the members of one’s own group, i.e. friends, relatives, or acquaintances.
    Racist Socialization and (internalized racism)
    Learned Helplessness, literacy deprivation, distorted self-concept, antipathy or aversion for the following:
    The members of ones own identified cultural/ethnic group,
    The mores and customs associated ones own identified cultural/ethnic heritage,
    The physical characteristics of ones own identified cultural/ethnic group.
    The PTSS book Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome incorporates her research in both America and Africa, as well as her twenty years of experience as a social work practitioner and consultant to public and private organizations. Dr. DeGruy first exposes the reader to the conditions that led to the Atlantic slave trade and allowed the pursuant racism and efforts at repression to continue through present day. She then looks at the seemingly insurmountable obstacles that African Americans faced as the result of the slave trade. Next she discusses the adaptive behaviors they developed—both positive and negative—that allowed them to survive and often even thrive.Dr. DeGruy concludes by reevaluating those adaptive behaviors that have been passed down through generations and where appropriate. She explores replacing behaviors which are today maladaptive with ones that will promote, and sustain the healing and ensure the advancement of African American culture.

2. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

I never heard about it but I intend to read it soon. Thanks!

3. LA

LA Well-Known Member

This is very interesting, Ches.

Thank you for sharing this with us!

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

No one is going to care because of the demographic this is happening to.
    All you're gonna hear is "just get over it"

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I knew about the term Learned Helplessness but the rest is new to me.

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

You're welcome. :) I'd like to read it, too. This link was shared in a FB group in a discussion about the absence of fathers in the home in the black community.

7. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

She's trying to frame the impact of racism and segregation in the language of psychology and for that reason I don't like the term PTSS.

Her definitions are mostly correct, but I don't like the terminology.

THe problem most African AMericans had in this country after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed is that it didn't stop the U.S. from being deeply racist towards Black folk.

It's not that Black folk were never able to fully un-hitch mentally from the yolk of slavery.

The dilemma isn't that the institution of slavery 'broke' us, it's that White people were never able to fully embrace the idea of Blacks being free and equal to themselves.

THe dominant culture was the problem, not some psychological burden within the minds of freed slaves themselves that was then passed down from generation to generation.

I don't like this.

For anyone to argue that Blacks are an inherently broken people, when our history has been one of survival against incredible odds, is IMO dangerous.

8. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

This is the meme that prompted the response with the link. (See below) It was posted in a mostly-black group (by a man) on FB and prompted a good discussion. Most who posted shot down the idea that whites created the situation, that black men chose to leave the home. I then posted the meme in an IR group I'm in to see what folks said. One man posted the William Lynch letters, another posted the link this thread was built on.

[​IMG]

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! REPPED!

10. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

The problem is jobs. It's always been about employment.

When Black men have work that's able to support a family, they keep their families together.
    When BM struggle to find work many of us abandon our family responsibilities.

I know my grandfather traveled all the way to Chicago from Louisiana to find work but later returned because it was too much of a culture shock relocating his family to Illinois.

As an adult he did all manner of odd jobs because it was almost impossible to lock down any kind of employment with job security.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

#teamtruth first line said it all. Boba cuts through the smoke screen

12. The Dark King

Not it's their fault they need to stop being lazy and just get a job

13. K

K Well-Known Member

More about lack of opportunity. Having to always fight and overcome obstacles.

I'm concerned about the idea of the PTSS thing as well. I just think about how people are being treated that have PTSD for any reason. It becomes more obstacles.

14. The Dark King

I was being sarcastic love lol
    People only give a fuck when its them otherwise its just leave me alone let me enjoy my life. Get over it

15. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Then why do a lot of young black men have rap sheets at 18 or younger? Everyone knows stealing and selling stolen goods and selling drugs is more lucrative than flipping burgers....

16. The Dark King

Because they don't get second chances the way white kids do. Black bodies are looked at as mature adult bodies no matter their actual age, ie Tamir Rice being mistaken for a 20 year old at 12, they aren't allowed youthful mistakes the same way which is why a lot get rap sheets so young. Secondly a lot of the neighborhoods they live in are depressed and lack opportunities so flipping burgers may not even be an option. It's always weird to me that people act like every town has an abundance of low wage jobs and some people are just unwilling to take them. It's simply not the case

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

When you are 17 and the ONLY black men you have known to have money got it from selling drugs and perhaps they were the only ones you could turn too when you knew that your mom was struggling. Let's be real, how many people do you think would prefer to risk their lives and freedom if they had other options?

18. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen "Beyond Scared Straight?" Kids in their early teens think it's cool to steal and do drugs and be in gangs. If there's no intervention, that's often their future.

19. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

They don't seem to have a problem finding drugs to sell in these one-stop light towns. Why is that? My hometown has no fast-food places. But my son was still able to find a job at 14 before he could drive to places where jobs were more plentiful. There are still legal ways for kids to make money in most places except for the most poverty-stricken areas. But drugs pay better.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

On tv? Lol. If I was a teen and they put me on tv I would love to show the world how cool I am .lol