The Dark Tower: Idris Elba is Stephen King's Gunslinger

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by SilverSmith, Mar 2, 2016.

1. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

March 2016
    Link

Iconic author Stephen King made it official on his Twitter account that Idris Elba has been set to play the gunslinger Roland Deschain.

He will square off against Matthew McConaughey, who’ll play the villainous Man in Black. Nikolaj Arcel is directing. Given all the focus on diversity, partly fueled by an inexplicable Oscar snub for Elba’s soaring performance in Beasts of No Nation, it seems worth noting this is now official.

King’s tweet:

It’s official: The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed. #DarkTowerMovie @McConaughey @IdrisElba

Elba was in the center of discussions he might replace Daniel Craig as James Bond. Now he has a big role with franchise potential: King’s answer to Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings spanned eight volumes, and the intention here is to grow a long-running tale, if audiences spark to the first film.

After all the incarnations and false starts on The Dark Tower, it now has two terrific actors with chops and swagger, going mano a mano in the magical world King has created. Producing are Weed Road’s Akiva Goldsman and Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Erica Huggins. King is also a producer.

The first installment of the Dark Tower focuses on the first book in the series, The Gunslinger, establishing the relationship between Roland and young protege Jake Chambers. The next big role will be the young protege.

2. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

The book was pretty good was wondering when a film adaption was coming. :eek:

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I know the anti-race swappers are going to have something to say about our boy Idris being cast as The Gunslinger.

In my opinion this is one of those times when race swapping really shouldn't be an issue. The character isn't "known" or iconic. His race has nothing to do with the core of the story.

4. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

They're already here

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dark...Message-Who-Don-t-Like-Idris-Elba-105537.html

https://twitter.com/JoshCasey23/status/705098250894888961

https://twitter.com/ChaseS19/status/704749338614829056

https://twitter.com/againstKoop/status/704688345776058368

[​IMG]

5. SilverSmith

Oh my, the depth of emotion and betrayal. Boo hoo. :p

King has already given Elba his stamp of approval.

For every fanboy who boycotts the movie in hopes of hindering its success, the more likely an inquisitive Elba fan will purchase a ticket.

6. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

YES!

It didn't work with star wars, it didn't work with The Hunger Games.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Having read Stephen King's The Gunslinger: The Dark Tower, I wondered what it would look like in film. Director Ron Howard was working on it back in 2005 but things got backed up. Money.

Stephen King stated that his inspiration for the book was Chaucer

I wonder if it will include the boy from another time UN this adaptation. Or will it be a white woman?

We'll see...

8. SilverSmith

The studio has set a new release date for The Dark Tower. The film will now open a month later on Feb. 17, 2017, according to Entertainment Weekly.

9. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

All I'm hearing/reading is "Idris Elba".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be watching. :smt077

10. Westie

Westie Member

Yep. I can hear their heads exploding all the way out here. :smt043

11. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

LOL! As if the Gunslinger was a historical character like Teddy Roosevelt, lol. Hell, since everyone's such a stickler for accuracy, I don't remember anyone complaining about Abraham Lincoln killing vampires...or wait? Did he really kill some?

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The Gunslinger was a character in an alternate reality. In that scenario, anything is possible. Remember the shot Land Of The Lost? It took me a while to understand that it was an alternate reality. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer was a blend of fact and fantasy in a graphic novel.

13. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

:smt043:smt043:smt043

[​IMG]

14. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

That's exactly my point. Unless you're talking about a historical figure, anything's up for grabs.

15. Shulz021

Like race swapping Santa :rolleyes:

16. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Just saw this on Twitter:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/katheryn-winnick-joins-stephen-king-888336
    Potential IR love interest for Idris or nah?

17. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

18. Shulz021