So...Are we gonna talk about the Michael Strahan & Kelly Ripa controversy?

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by ColiBreh1, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

And put her on The View? I don't know... lol

2. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. She's taking this much harder than I expected.

3. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Why? She has been hugely sucessful. The ratings have been great with her as the host. She is pissed at Disney for keeping her in the dark. It's not only the Strahan storry, there is also rumors that GMA may get a third hour and that means the kibosh on her show. I think she has a right to be pissed. Although being absent is a little much, it may be a nice that she had been advised to take. Remember Anne Curry? This Is similar written shit being done behind the hosts back. Strahan was caught between a rock and a hard place

4. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

I agree that she has a totally likable, bubbly & sweet personality. I understand she may be upset for being blindsided, but even during those times you are pissed, as a professional and a public figure you have to be a bigger person... By acting out of character and even with the sympathy her fans have for her, acting like a child and not returning to set is foolish. There are several other pretty and likable female celebrities that the network can find to replace her probably without much effort. I think she would gain more respect from all of the public if she behaves like an adult and handles the situation more responsibly.

She's behaving like a diva

I do feel for her though because she has been on the show for several years and she has been widely successful. if they are doing some programming changes behind her back without consulting her, yes it is shady, but that's probably how the entertainment industry is anyway. they're probably not loyal to anyone if the moneys right there biggest concern is their audience, ratings & money, sadly.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

You are right....she should be mad. Strahan caught in the middle? I'm sure he was.. Just following the money and orders, but its been reported that they didn't like each other

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Kelly Rippa can always return to acting. She got her start as a teenager when she was on All My Children.

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Kelly Ripa is 45. That's considered ancient by Hollyweird standards. Besides her long standing stint on All My Children, what on her acting resume is going to have TV or Movie producers knocking on her door offerring her roles?

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

So true....

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Sexual ageism in Hollywood is a vicious cycle. Men can still work and get paid the big bucks, while women in their late thirties are overlooked in favor of the twentysomethings. Shemar Moore is returning to The Young & The Restless.

I don't think that Kelly is going anywhere. Disney is going to probably keep her a little while longer. How long has yet to be decided.

10. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Sad indeed G. The men who own corporate Hollywood thinks 30 is the retirement age for women actors and professionals in entertainment. The media shows on CNN and Fox had mentioned Kelly Ripa who said she will be back on the show Tuesday morning. No doubt on what happened to Ann Curry she will suck it up. and say good things about Micheal wishing him the best.

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I had read that Kelly's tirade wasn't at Michael, but at the show's producers. So Michael and Kelly are still friends.

12. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about that. Here she is making a jab at Michael about his divorce. He is clearly uncomfortable and i'm betting that was her intention.
    [YOUTUBE]2-I7FxTfQPI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  13. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

I watched the show for a little bit on Tuesday, her first day back after her short hiatus. It was obvious (to me, at least) that Michael was uncomfortable and embarrassed when interacting with guests as Kelly interrupted him and it was just overly awkward between the two of them.

Also, her speech she gave to her audience pretty much blamed the network for not keeping her informed and basically dismissed the fact that she behaved childlike, storming off because she didn't like the way the news was handled. Now, he will be leaving the show in a matter of weeks to satisfy her ego... I just wish him well and after this diva-like episode I am disappointed. Michael can do better and I'm glad to see him venturing into better and greener pastures...wish him the best!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  14. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for both. Strahan's success was extra special for me as a NY Giant's fan, and specially a fan of him since he walked onto the team.

The ball was definitely dropped somewhere, and I wish this situation could've surfaced without the drama. I wish them both well. I'm not big on talk show, but the few times I've watch Kelly and Michael... It was obvious that their chemistry was awesome.

15. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Kelly Ripa & Michael Strahan Win Emmy For Most Awkward Acceptance Speech This Morning - Update

[​IMG]

UPDATE with Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan reaction: Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan this morning walked out on stage each carrying an Emmy statuette, answering last night’s most pressing Daytime Emmy Awards question: “How will Kelly and Michael divide that Emmy?”
    While there has been a lot on which they have disagreed in the past couple weeks, the Live With Kelly And Michael hosts were in perfect sync this morning as they told viewers they had not been aware the Daytime Emmy Awards ceremony was happening over the weekend. That is, until congratulatory emails began to arrive. At last night’s ceremony, they were named best Daytime Talk Entertainment Show host.

Because the ceremony has moved to Los Angeles, they explained, they cannot attend. On the bright side, Ripa reminisced that when it used to be held in New York, it could be pretty uncomfortable having the cameras on her all those years she was nominated for various roles in daytime TV but did not win. But, of course, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences has remedied that situation – this year’s trophy show was not broadcast, or live-streamed.

Ripa and Strahan thanked the crew and execs behind their syndicated show for making their win possible.

16. hellified

hellified Active Member

Kelly Ripa Contradicted Her Own Teachable Moment.

In the last three weeks of Michael Strahan's tenure on the show, Kelly Ripa didn't hesitate to take sly digs and pop shots at her co-host.

This isn't about professional conduct and respect because the stuff Kelly was doing with her snide remarks isn't professional. Her behavior contradicts her own point about work place conduct.

Clearly the relationship between her and Michael broke down badly but Regis did the EXACT SAME THING and she didn't flip out nearly as much:

Philbin has been cryptic about his reasons, but even at age 80 after over 56 years on TV in L.A. and New York, he has repeatedly insisted he is not retiring. He also has said how much he has enjoyed the show he has done since 1988 (first with Kathie Lee Gifford and since 2001 with Kelly Ripa).

Some said Philbin was finally tired of the daily grind, the early hours and wanted an easier life.

After he said he would leave in early 2011, there were a flurry of stories that said Philbin had balked when told Disney wanted to lower his compensation, which under a contract negotiated in 2008 is reportedly about $21 million a year. That contract also was very restrictive in term of what he could do outside of the show.

Philbin denied it was over salary and said they had never even reached the point of a salary negotiation.

He still isn’t going into detail, but several sources tell THR it was actually a combination of the two factors.

Philbin had apparently been thinking of taking it easier for some time. His show schedule requires him to get up in the wee hours of the morning, and makes living a normal life difficult since he has to go to bed early.

Then when his agent at the time Jim Griffin went in to talk to Disney, sources say he was told the syndication business was soft and the show wasn’t pulling as big numbers as it had. They also apparently brought up how much time Philbin takes off each year.

The bottom line was what mattered, however: It was still a success, but not as big a success, so sources said they were still willing to pay him a lot, but not as much as he had been getting.

Disney officially declined comment on this article and off the record sources said Philbin made clear he wasn’t fired.

Philbin did, however, feel slighted by being asked to take a pay cut. That appears to have triggered his decision to quit the show and seek other options in show biz. He has said in interviews they never got to a discussion of salary specifics, which seems to be true, because he walked when they said it would be for less.

Not long after it became public and irreversible, Philbin fired his longtime agent and signed with the William Morris Endeavor talent agency for representation.
    source

Now peep what happened when he told kelly about 15 MINUTES before they walked out on stage for the show:

His move, according to the website, left co-host Kelly Ripa stunned and the production team furious.

The decision to leave came after Philbin's agent Jim Griffin was told the veteran would have to take a pay cut in his new contract because of the show's dipping ratings and the large amount of vacation time he took.

It's unclear when he made the decision to call it quits, but TMZ reported that he let Ripa, his co-host of almost a decade, know about 15 minutes before they went on the air. He told the studio audience shortly after.

"She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her," a source told the website.

The former soap opera star was much more gracious in a statement shortly after the announcement.

"While I realize that nothing is forever, still I had always hoped there would be an exception," Ripa told the Hollywood Reporter in a statement. "I can't overstate what Regis has brought to the table."

source

Now understand something...Regis and Kelly had been doing that show together for TEN YEARS! 2001–11: Live! with Regis and Kelly. And Regis didn't tell Kelly shit until literally minutes before a live show even though he had sat next to her for TEN YEARS. Early on she would call him "my big man"and he would call her "Pippa" they would act lovey dovey, laugh together, interested in each others family...all of that and yet Reeg goes I QUIT 15 minutes before show time after ten years together. So clearly that relationship broke down at some point if Reeg felt the need to keep his cards that close to his chest with her.

So now we see a REPLAY of the same thing happen with Michael...They started off lovey dovey but at some point there was a breakdown.

When you look at it, Michael gave 4 month notice when he announced he was leaving. They told her when the deal was cleared, where they (management) MAY HAVE messed up was that it was in the news literally 30 minutes after she was told but that shouldn't matter really. Up to the point in the actual meeting the public wasn't aware of he was leaving. Check the timeline:

READ MORE