Is empire another successful coon show

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Apr 26, 2016.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Saw the warning signs in the very first episode in the way that there wasn't any subtlety (a familiar trait for anything associated with Lee Daniels) and in that everything seemed so rushed. It didn't get any better in the few followup eps I saw so I was happy to part ways with it. Obviously its huge in the black community but so is any show on BET and all the Tyler Perry series on OWN. Frankly "Power" looks like "The Wire" compared to "Empire."

Also pretty much the media and fans have decided the show is all about Cookie, the lone female major character among the five major characters. No thanks. There are already enough shows out there catering to the black female audience rather than black male viewers. I typically avoid that stuff.

2. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

It had a limited run of six episodes last summer----kinda like a tryout. It was well received enough critically and with viewers that NBC brought it back this year.

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

There's a cable show on Starz, I think that's the channel, called Survivor's Remorse. About a pro athlete who makes the big time and has to deal with the issues of money and family. It's a comedy. I don't think it's like Empire.

4. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

As obnoxious as the characterizations are, I'm not sure they're totally out of line given that the Lyons' empire is supposed to be built by a former drug-dealing ex-con husband and wife team with a couple of children exposed to that environment as children. Now if they depicted the Huxtables acting like that, it would really be racist. That being said, I would rather see greater variety in roles for black people. We do have other talents that don't involve a microphone or a ball.