Is empire another successful coon show

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Apr 26, 2016.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

[YOUTUBE]h0mlY9-bukg[/YOUTUBE]

Is "empire" another coon show or is it no different than the old TV show "Dallas"

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

It's an ethnically-tinged version of Dallas or Dynasty, in my humble opinion. I don't think it's that great, but Taraji Henson and Terrence Howard seem to have an amazing chemistry as actors.

3. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's way too transparent with the stereotypes each character portrays. I wouldn't mind if they were more clever about it. I feel like Empire is the spiritual successor to every corny "black" film circa 1990s and 2000s

4. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Got bored with the show, but yeah I kinda see that.

At the same time, Love and Hop Hop has been on for god knows how long, making groupies/hoes/ghetto trash famous.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

So on point

6. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Yeah, sort of like the campy excess of flicks of that era.

7. Darkseid

Darkseid Member

To answer the original question: YES

I couldn't make it through the pilot a couple of years ago when it premiered

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Never watched it, never will, from the promo's it looked chock full of stereotypes and bad behavior.

9. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

Empire is basically a mashup of Dynasty and Dallas just with black characters think about it

Empire Entertainment = Ewing Oil + Denver Carrington
    Lucious = J.R. Ewing + Blake Carrington
    Cookie = Alexis Carrington + Ellie Ewing
    Andre = Sue Ellen Ewing + Adam Carrington
    Jamel = Bobby Ewing + Steven Carrington
    Hakeem = Fallon Carrington + John Ross Ewing

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The one thing I had noticed about Empire was that like the show Nashville, it, too has sold albums of songs from the show.

11. K

K Well-Known Member

I don't really see the point of it.

If people want to see that crap they can watch one of the "reality shows". No need for a scripted drama of the same shit.

12. Darkseid

Darkseid Member

True, but that's the only thing those two shows have in common. I have watched a little Nashville, and they have those characters act like normal people. Empire is the worst stereotypes of rich blacks

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I caught part of an episode. Nashville had the same professional issues as Empire(recording sessions and concert tours). Characters include Taylor Swift replicas, concerned mentors and a gay male country star so in the closet he would guard his secret with his life.

My brother and his wife love the show. I think the problem is that it is playing with the Shakespearean tragedies of Hamlet, Othello and King Lear with an urban twist. Does anyone know what happens in a wealthy black family's life other than reality tv shows?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  14. K

K Well-Known Member

I know it's rhetorical. However, do you really think this is any different than the reality show garbage?

What happens in wealthy black family life is not any different than any other wealthy family, which is actually not much different than any other family.

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I know it isn't. I know most wealthy black families, and there aren't many of them, are pretty low-key because they know where they came from. They are cautious about the perception of those outside their lifestyle and standing in the community.

Reality shows simply bring out the silly and the worst like daytime talk shows like Maury Povich, Jerry Springer, Ricki Lake, Jenny Jones and Sally Jessie Raphael.

As Rza says in The Man With The Iron Fists, "But when it comes to money, things get funny."

16. K

K Well-Known Member

Yep...those with the real money aren't out there trying to show off and get attention.

17. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Case in point below, I tell all my clients who want to go out and spend big money when they are doing well, to study Warren Buffet, one of the richest men in the world, I especially emphasize the last bullet point.

What Kind of Car Does Warren Buffet Drive?

December 23, 2013 by TM Brown 3 Comments
    Just a few years ago Warren Buffet auctioned off his long-time driving companion, a 2001 Lincoln Town Car. The proceeds went to charity. After the auction, he picked up the winning bidder from the airport himself, then turned over ownership. He then bought a 2006 Cadillac DTS for around $42,000. While that is quite a price for a new car, Mr. Buffet is one of the five richest people in the world, yet lives frugally.

Mr. Buffet’s Frugal Lifestyle

In addition to purchasing a car that many other Americans can afford, Mr. Buffet lives modestly in all things possible. He lives in the same home he purchased over 50 years ago. At the time he spent around $32,000.

• He drives himself everywhere and picks his visitors up from the airport in person.
    • His company, Berkshire Hathaway, owns more than 60 companies, yet he does not waste time or money flying to see the CEOs or holding needless meetings.
    • He avoids cellphones and computers when possible.
    • He avoids name brands.
    • He only buys what he needs and believes that ”keeping up with the Joneses” will wreck personal finances.
    • He believes that everyone should avoid credit cards, but if you do have them, you should rarely use them. A cash lifestyle is best.

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Keeping up with the Jones' is guaranteed insanity. If I were wealthy, I probably wouldn't want to drive a Rolls Royce Phantom or even the convertible. A plane, maybe. A yacht, no. A home not too large or small with an indoor pool, a panic room and man cave. I wouldn't need to join the social club because I don't think I could relate to that crowd.

Warren Buffett was a very wise man.

19. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I actually like the show. It's just throw away fun for me. Plus, it's about the music industry. Although, what goes on in that show wouldn't fly in real life. Every time I watch that show it makes me want to go and create new music.

I probably would have issues with Empire, too, if there wasn't other quality programming with Blacks as the leads. Just before Empire comes on, there's Rosewood. He's as anti-stereotypical as it gets. It's another fun, but light weight detective show like Bones or Castle. There's also Black-ish and The Carmichael Show. Not to mention the new season of 24 will center around a brotha instead of Jack Bauer. So, that's going to be another non-stereotypical, black led show. Luke Cage is coming in September. As long as we have this balance, we're okay. We can enjoy an Empire because we know that's not the only show on centering on black faces.

Mg question would be; are you supporting shows like Rosewood? Are you watching it regardless of whether you like it or not so that Hollywood understands that there is advertising money to be earned in non-stereotypical black programming?

20. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I tried getting into that. Couldn't do it. Although it's a different approach to the crime shows, it doesn't do it for me. I'd rather watch Forensic Files and crime documentaries about real crimes. As cool as a show about a black Dr. crushing it in Miami, the flashy CSI shit bores me.

The Carmichael Show, I had no idea it was back on. I thought they canned it after 5 episodes. I'll need to get back on that.