Ferguson, Missouri Community Furious After Teen Shot Dead By Police

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sirius Dogon, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

2. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying. I'm saying that I'm one of the people who believes that a lot of the racial stuff is being used to keep us focused on race instead of focusing on 'real' issues like capitalism and the classism that it births.

3. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Nope, last post from a female to this thread was on page 75.

4. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

The thuggification of young black victims of white violence: Is thug the new n----r?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...tims-of-white-violence-Is-thug-the-new-nigger

[​IMG]

I have a pop quiz for you.
    Can you name one young white victim of violence who has been publicly humiliated or degraded by tens of thousands of African Americans online or by key African-American journalists or newscasters?

I’m waiting. Still waiting. Stumped? I’ll give you a bonus question.

Can you name one white person, criminal or otherwise, that you’ve heard called a "thug" in the past, let’s say, 50 years?

Even if you came up with an obscure name or two, you have to admit that you’re dealing with a pretty short list.

Yet not only are African-American perpetrators of violence labeled as thugs, but so are victims.

Jeffrey Dahmer killed, raped, and dismembered at least 17 boys and men, but he was never called a thug. He was arrested.

Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols killed 168 people when they blew up the federal building in Oklahoma, but they were never called thugs. Both men were arrested.

Jared Loughner, who had a history of drug abuse, shot and killed six people and injured 13 more, including Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, but he was never called a thug. He was arrested.

James Holmes shot and killed 13 people in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, but he was never called a thug. He was peacefully arrested.

In a sense, these five men, each notorious mass murderers, were given a level of respect and due process of the law rarely afforded to young black men like Oscar Grant, Trayvon Martin, and Mike Brown, who were all victims of white violence.

Follow below the fold for more.

Throughout the pursuit of justice for all three of these slain young black men, great efforts were made to assassinate their character, devalue their humanity, and, in a sense, make it seem as if justice was an unnecessary luxury for them. The attempted thuggification of their names and reputation is despicable.

Tens of thousands of references can be found throughout social media—and even in the traditional media—making Mike Brown out to be a thug. For weeks, lawsuits were being waged to allege he had a criminal past until it was finally revealed that he had never been arrested a day in his life. Showing every photo he ever posed in on Instagram, every rap lyric he ever suggested he loved, dissecting every tweet he ever wrote, the conclusion that Mike Brown was a thug was pushed and pushed to promote the idea that Darren Wilson did a good thing. Donor after donor to Darren Wilson’s online fundraiser explicitly stated they were glad he did society a favor. When real evidence failed, fake pictures of Mike Brown were floated out to misrepresent him.

Much the same happened with Trayvon Martin. Walking home from a local convenience store with newly purchased snacks in hand, Trayvon was tracked and followed, in spite of the wishes of the police dispatch, and eventually confronted by an armed resident of the neighborhood. He was shot and killed in this confrontation. For a full year, every effort was made to make Trayvon out not to be a typical teenager with a bag of Skittles on his way home to watch the NBA All-Star weekend, but a violent thug who wanted to commit murder on his way home. Trayvon, like Mike Brown, had never been arrested a day in his life. Fake pictures of Trayvon, which were actually of the rapper The Game, nearly 20 years older than Trayvon, were floated out there to make him look like a thug. George Zimmerman, the man who was charged with killing Trayvon, but eventually found not guilty, had been arrested multiple times for violent crimes before killing Trayvon and has been cited for violence multiple times this past year alone. Still, wildly so, the general sentiment still isn’t that he’s a thug.

Oscar Grant, shot and killed by police while handcuffed in Oakland, actually had a criminal past that he fought hard to overcome. He was a diligent father and strived to hold down a local job after his incarceration. His being shot, while handcuffed and sitting on the ground, had absolutely nothing to do with his previous incarceration. The only reason it has ever been brought up, then, is to devalue his life and to dissuade supporters from feeling confident about championing his cause.

The thuggification of Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, Oscar Grant, and many other young black victims of gun violence very much feels like a modern attempt to three-fifths their value in the world while the refusal to ever ascribe the thug label to white perpetrators of violence suggests that the word is gaining an exclusive racial connotation limited to African Americans.

"Thug" is the new "ni&&er."

5. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

I stand corrected. Lol

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Pretty much

7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Ra: Google Amnesty International. They are saying today that the Ferguson police have committed human rights abuses against the people there. Darren Wilson did it it against Michael Brown.

Also, Ra, the average person in the country watches 153 hours of television per month (approx 5.1 hours per day). Since 153 is the average, that means there are people who could be watching the TV for up to 306 hours in an entire month (approx 10.2 hours per day).

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So clearly I'm one of the people who you believe is woefully uninformed & need to be enlightened, I see. And why am I not the least bit surprised........

9. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Not saying you in particular. I'm saying the populous of our country is in that situation. Obviously that includes this website.

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Umm hmm. Again, if you believe the populous to be so uninformed about what goes on around them, why & how do you see yourself being the one to inform people here, if they aren't already taking the initiative to become informed in some way outside of this site?

11. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I've always been like that. Especially in situations where I've had to make presentations and speeches to groups.

For instance, did you think the economy would have a collapse in 2008? The populous was warned about it several years before, yet those warnings were ignored and now look what happened. We have a weaker economy which actually increases the need for racial tension to occur between people of different ethnic groups. Did you know that, Ra?

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

:D

If the the populous ignored the warnings of "experts" why do you feel you'll fare better in informing anyone about anything?

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

:shock:

14. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Black men have been describing themselves as "thugs" for over 20 years now (thug life, thug passion ect) but when white media says it, it's a problem...? :smt017

[​IMG]

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Context youngin context
    You're smarter than this

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I was going to bring that up too

The first thing I thought about was tupacs thug life symbolism

Or trick daddy's 'cuz baby Imma thug' song

Doesn't mean that all blacks are okay with that tho, because many find this whole thug shit rather embarrassing

If mike brown did instigate a scuffle with a cop over jaywalking, then he is a thug for that

Be real

Doesn't mean he needed to be killed over it tho, shit

If you can't take a punch or are afraid to tussle, u shouldn't be a fucking cop, period

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Thank You. A cop that's afraid to tussle is like a mechanic that's afraid to get dirty. He should be fired as soon as it becomes apparent. There are people who dont mind a good fight every now and then and law enforcement often suits them well. I have often said that this is a society that caters to cowards. When you cater to cowards these are the results you get.

18. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Always excuses with you, man lol

19. The Dark King

One how do we know he took a swing?
    Two even if he did so the fuck what
    Thugs are career criminals not someone who did some dumb shit one time.
    Don't feed the fire fam
    Anyone of any other race did the same shit we wouldn't call them a thug would we?

20. The Dark King

No it's called reason
    If a group of girls calls themselves whores and gets raped or even called sluts would we as a society say its cool? Nope
    Context matters without it communication and words are useless.