Will Smith FINALLY gets White Love Interest in FOCUS

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by playboy90210, Nov 22, 2013.

1. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

7/10 on imdb

I'd say it's doing pretty well with some critics...although it's metacritic score is 53 percent...hmmmm

2. TheUtopian

TheUtopian Active Member

To which ''flops'' are you referring? Check the numbers:

After Earth (Budget: $130M)
    Worldwide gross: $243,843,127

MIB3 (Budget: $225M)
    Worldwide gross: $624,026,776

Seven Pounds (Budget: $55M)
    Worldwide gross: $168M

Hancock (Budget: $150M)
    Worldwide gross: $624,386,746

I Am Legend (Budget: $150M)
    Worldwide gross: $585,349,010

The Pursuit of Happyness (Budget: $55M)
    Worldwide gross: $307,077,295

Hitch (Budget: $70M)
    Worldwide gross: $368,100,420

3. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Will smith himself called after earth a failure

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/will-smiths-life-was-changed-by-the-failure-of-110639733822.html

4. TheUtopian

TheUtopian Active Member

"Focus” cost $50.1 million to produce and is leaning heavily on Smith’s charisma in its television spots and posters. At 46, the actor is definitely at a career crossroads, but his recent rap as a faltering box office draw is unearned.

“After Earth” bombed with $60.5 million domestic on a $130 million budget, but it did do $183.3 million overseas, where Smith remains popular. Take that out of the equation and there’s 2012’s “Men in Black 3,” which made $624 million worldwide on a $225 million budget, 2008’s “Seven Pounds” with $168 million worldwide on a $55 million budget and “Hancock” that same year with $624.4 million on a $150 million budget. It’s not so much that Smith’s films haven’t opened big. It’s that he hasn’t made many to open. (Variety.com)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  5. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Lol! I made this exact same point days ago on a message board. Dude has been leaving money on the table by limiting the number of films as he concentrated on his kids' careers. 2008 was the last time he starred in two movies the same year and he hasn't done many movies since that year.

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Surprise surprise dude's not a whore lol
    People really can't wrap their minds around someone who has made a ton of money and isn't greedy for more. Dude is very grounded.

7. TheUtopian

TheUtopian Active Member

[​IMG]

Box Office: Will Smith's 'Focus' No. 1 Friday

Will Smith and Margot Robbie's romantic caper Focus is winning the Friday box-office race in North America for a weekend debut in the $22 million range, easily toppling Fifty Shades of Grey from the No. 1 spot after a two-week rule.

The Warner Bros. film is the first test of Smith's star power since Sony's tent-pole After Earth, which bombed in summer 2013 after opening to just $27.5 million.

Focus is a much smaller film, having cost $50 million to produce.

Directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, Focus is also opening in a number of markets overseas this weekend.

http://tinyurl.com/llc8xl3

8. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

It may make more money than Save The Last Dance.

9. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Will gettin' that Cuck money. ...lol

Yes, I'm wrong for that one.

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Lol

11. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Was it good, it looked like predictable trash to me.

12. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

HAHAHA! I'll cosign you being wrong for that!

13. playboy90210

playboy90210 New Member

It was actually very good. I love a good heist/con man movie and it was definitely one of the better ones. Great chemistry between Will and Margot. Cant wait to see them together in Suicide Squad!

14. LA

LA Well-Known Member

It was decent. Had quite a few cheesy moments. I wouldn't recommend seeing it per say, but if you do, don't expect much.

About 2.5/5 stars.

15. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Well shit....

16. quantumblack

quantumblack Active Member

Just seen the film and would probably give it 6/10. Its great to see a mature confidant black man on screen with a sexy young blonde. I like the fact they have natural chemistry and the interracial pairing isn't an issue or even brought up in the film.

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Yeah the good chemistry has been highlighted by different critics, even if the movie itself is meh

As a side note, many bad movies knocked it out of the park at the box office

You have to expect a certain amount of resistance/lack of interest when the headline screams 'bmww interracial couple'

Some people are just that prejudiced to not see a film like that

18. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

I'm just hoping the studio makes a healthy profit off this one (maybe they already have, I don't know.)

TPTB in Hollywood tend to look for excuses not to cast a BM/WW pairing. The claim being that ir movies with a BM/WW will lose them money.

The sooner that excuse is put to bed the better.

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

They already think casting a black male lead period, will tank a movie......

You can imagine how many movies/shows featuring BMWW were passed by studios

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I heard on the radio today a host lament that Will Smith is 46 years old and she's 23 or 25 ...that how often would you ever see the reverse. While true, it was funny to hear hosts were talking about age differences and not race, which was a good thing.