Will Smith FINALLY gets White Love Interest in FOCUS

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by playboy90210, Nov 22, 2013.

1. playboy90210

playboy90210 New Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...cture-scandal-start-filming-Buenos-Aires.html

Will and white Australian actress Margot Robbie to play lovers in new film 'Focus'. Here's the official plot: "Will plays a professional grifter in Focus, who gets romantically involved with Margot's character after taking her under his wing."

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see how this does at the box office. As a filmmaker who plans to have black male/white female love stories in a few of his films it will be interesting to see the performance of this film and critical/audience reaction. I think we have moved past the days where audiences even care (outside of some racist areas of the south) but sadly it's the studios/distributors who do not wanna alienate ANY potential markets (for the fact they wanna make the most money as possible) who tend to shy away from anything that will offend ANY market (no matter how small or ignorant...im going through that now with my current horror film which is somewhat controversial). This is GOOD NEWS!

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

So he will get that role in spite of those photos of him and Ms.Robbie. Hope he is up to the challenge.

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

We'll see how this film turns out. I recall the interracial love scenes in the blaxploitation films of the 70's. To this day I can recall four that deserve honorable mention.

1. 100 Rifles- According to Jim Brown, he and Raquel Welch had a falling out over a still photographer. Raquel wanted Jim to get rid of him because she didn't like him. Brown, ever the realist told her that the photographer had come a long way and they should let him do his job. The sex scene between Brown and Welch was shocking to many white audiences because Brown played a man who broke a Mexican woman(Welch) down and she gave in. Brown and Welch sort of dated again(even though she was married at the time).

2. Shaft- Richard Roundtree has a shower seduction scene with the woman named Wanda. It was, imho, the most sensual scene, even though it was brief. Wanda's quote afterward, was, "You're great in the sack. But you're shitty afterward." She wanted more of John Shaft.

3. Slaughter- Jim Brown again. His co-star was Stella Stevens. You can see the attraction between these two right away. Of all the interracial love scenes I had seen before and since, the 2 love scenes were by far the most tender and the most realistic.

4. Shaft In Africa- John Shaft undercover for the government, goes to Africa to infiltrate a slavery ring. He is chosen by a young white woman to go to bed with her. Honestly, I had not seen this third and final film in the Shaft series. The Four Tops song Are You Man Enough? is featured in the main title sequence.

5.(Respectively) Guess Who's Coming To Dinner- While there was only a brief kiss after the title sequence, the film explored the issue of the reaction of family members and friends. That, I think, was the main focus of the film. John and Joanna were fine. It was the world around them that was suspect.

Independently produced films like Melvin Van Peebles' The Story Of A Three Day Pass(another good film) or Swirl, are the only way to do this. But, what has to be done in this venture is to make such a film about the couple as two human beings who find one another and fall in love just like it is done in films with those of the same race. I would say not to make race the focus, but the emotions the couple feel for each other. Do not emphasize sexuality too much. Let them have a deep conversation in bed or while driving, eating and walking together. I had written a book in which my protagonist is a black man who is married to a white woman and they talk and love as much as they can because of their professions(he is a private investigator. She is a reporter). They love each other and they stand united in that love. I think that is how a perfect interracial love story should be presented.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

That outfit makes her body look weird.

5. hellified

hellified Active Member

taking bets on whether they will either rewrite it to make their relationship more platonic or restrained or he they never get too physical..will smith can be the biggest name in hollywood but he can't kiss a white chick in film:smt083

Films where Will Smiths Character's SO has minor role in the story:

ID4 - viv foxx - big ensemble cast - black woman
    Enemy Of The State - wife is minor role - regina king - black woman
    Ali - bio pic - it is what is - black women
    Pursuit of Happyness - wife has minor role - Thandie Newton - black woman
    I Am Legend - wife has minor role - Salli Richardson - black woman
    Seven Pounds - wife has minor role - Robinne Lee - black woman

Films where Will Smiths character SO has major role in story:

Wild Wild West - love interest has major role - Salma Hayek - latina
    MIB 2 - love interest has major role - Rosario Dawson - latina
    Hitch - love interest has major role - Eva Mendes - latina
    I Am Legend - possible love interest and ONLY SURVIVING ADULT FEMALE in the film - Alice Braga - latina
    Seven Pounds - love interest has major role - Rosario Dawson - latina

Films where Will Smiths character has significant contact with a white women:

I, Robot - white woman with major role - Bridget Moynahan - platonic

Hancock - white woman with major role - Charlize Theron - may as well be platonic

Bad Boys - white woman with major role - Tea Leoni - never realized on screen

Men In Black - white woman with major role - Linda Fiorentino - professional relationship

The ONLY film where his love interest play a major role AND was black was Bad Boys 2..out of all those movies

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

those expecting blatant IR along the lines of what we seen in Jungle Fever will surely be disappointed

they'll end up having a few kisses and hand holding

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

In The Wild, Wild West, Will Smith was skinny dipping with a black actress who was also a Playboy playmate. I cannot pronounce her name. Kisses Bai Ling-Chinese, before she gets shot and killed, is kissed by Salma Hayek but she never hooks up because one of the scientists that Dr. Lovelace kidnapped was her husband. However, in the music video, Will is in bed with Salma and he has to rescue her again from Dr. Lovelace.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I don't think the film will sell if the relationship onscreen were in-your-face-blatant, like Jungle Fever. Do you remember the film Swirl? That was a good example. Swirl was centered on the black man in the relationship and his individual struggles like his racial identity and peer pressure to date other women since he and his girlfriend had been dating for years in college. If you hadn't seen it yet, check it out.

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

dunno now that i think about it....

Flight did pretty good and Denzel's character was with a white woman

maybe hollywood has evolved

we shall see

hancock SUCKED in that department

10. playboy90210

playboy90210 New Member

You are right about Flight PettyOfficer. But Flight in the trailers or commercials NEVER even showed Denzel with the white woman or hinted at any love story at all. All the promotional campaign showed was him saving the plane from crashing and the following investigation into his character issues and any past and/or present drug and alcohol history. You didnt find out Denzel even HAD a love interest (much less a white one) until you went and saw the film. They hid that aspect completely from the trailers/commercials (for obvious reasons I suppose). I dont think they can do that with this FOCUS film starring Will and Margot. Their love story is a key element to the plot. Audiences will HAVE TO KNOW from the trailers/commercials that the two get romantic at some point.

While I dont expect raunchy sex (its not that type of film anyway) I do expect kissing and love scenes and romantic banter. Nothing more explicit than we normally see. Again, in this day and age this SHOULDNT be controversial but sadly since it is so rare we get to see it, I think this is a huge step up for America to greenlight a film like this and hopefully it does well (lord knows Will needs a hit right now after Men in Black 3 sucked big time and After Earth flopped). I am nervously excited to see what happens with this since the IR aspect cant be hidden from the promotional campaign so audiences WILL KNOW whats going on. For a studio to take a risk like this they HAD to cast a big name like Will Smith and hopefully thats enough.

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Ur right

Seeing IR advertised in commercials will be interesting to see

Look how that Cheerios commercial threw people into a frenzy

As a side note I like 2 days in new york with Chris Rock and Julie delpy

If u haven't see watch it

It's cute

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Will Smith's name and looks are bankable. He, like Denzel Washington, is attractive and easy on the eyes. However, Will did admit that he is expensive. The studios can be very wary of these things. This is where actors invest in other things like a production company or businesses like retail, real estate or food services where they can still make money. Robert DeNiro owns a bunch of restaurants. If he were to retire, which is unlikely, he would still want for nothing. Will Smith still has his musical roots to fall back on.

13. Soulthinker

It would be less likely if Mr.Smith would do a heavy IR scene like Wesley Snipes,Mario Van Peebles,or Samuel L. Jackson.

14. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

What the fuck happened to my boy??/
    You and Paniro must be cupcaking hard these days huh lol

15. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Negro please

16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I saw Mario Van Peebles in a 90's film called Blowback. His ex-wife is a hot looking Mexican woman. James Remar(The Warriors, Mortal Combat:Annihilation) plays a serial killer brought back from the dead who is about to crucify her(she is topless). The movie was filmed in San Diego.

17. Soulthinker

Van Peebles had done more swirling than any Black actor I had seen. On past threads I've mentioned the movies where he had been in a IR onscreen. Oh I wished I would find those flicks on those cheepo DVD bin at WalMart.

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

You can try the dollar stores. I had found a few double feature DVDs in those stores. Or at Best Buy and Amazon.com. Wal Mart? You have to do some deep digging in the bargain bins. Another option is Collector's Choice.com. They have a very large and comprehensive collection of movies in stock. Can you repost the list? I knew he was in Full Eclipse where he swirled with actress Patsy Kensit.

19. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Yep.

20. Soulthinker

I don't know how to repost my past thread. May had to search for it.