Any Cyclists around here?

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by jaisee, Jul 21, 2014.

1. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get into road biking and the biggest issue that I'm having right now is getting a good starting bike. I'm kind of tall, and I'm finding that to be extremely limiting when I go to the local shops., they usually have only a handful of bikes available in my size (58 cm).

I've seen only 2 bikes that I like so far, one being a used LOOK that has had a crapload of modifications to it... and it's in like new condition.

The bike that I'm more in love with is a Wilier GTS Turismo. There is about a 1k difference between the bikes with the former being the cheaper.

Anyways, if anybody is currently into the sport, I'd love to hear your thoughts in general and in particular about the brands that I've mentioned just above.

2. Raudi

Raudi Member

Yep, I race my BMX bikes just about every weekend.:D
    [YOUTUBE]/QBrSbOpMWqo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I started out with a TREK 1000s, http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/trek/1000/prd_290760_5668crx.aspx great entry level bike, not too taxing on the wallet (expect to pay about $400-$500) before any accessories. The 1000s handles as well if not better than bikes that cost 4 to 5 times more. I strongly recommend it, the only reason I upgraded is that I got a smokin' deal on a used Madone 7, otherwise I probably would have stuck with my 1000s. Stick with TREK, in my experience they are great bikes for the $ and are reliable and for the most part assemble their bikes here in the US.

4. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

You time the words right out of my mouth! The trek 1000 is the best bang for the buck. It's what I still ride (totally modified). The 1000 was recommended to me incase I didn't like the sport. My guy said I wouldn't be out of a load of money and that it was the most complete starter. Btw, I've been slacking big time!! :-(

5. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I ride a Specialized Hard Rock mountain bike, but I have been interested in switching to a road bike as well. Not that familiar with them, but I've been getting good advice on them from Meetup boards, like MIA Critical Mass, SoFla Tri, etc.

6. missshyness

missshyness Active Member

Like bikes too, I have a trek and an Electra townie, Electra townie does have some road bike versions, although they are sort of a hybrid of cruiser and road bike. May not help OP in their search, but the townie is a nice aluminum frame, light weight, even through they are cruisers, they can be easily used for road biking, a bit expensive though, got mine from Craig's list. They have different models with different amounts of gears, and in men's and women's models. It has been one of the best and easiest of bikes for me to ride, as I am the opposite, I am somewhat short, and many adult bikes are just a bit too big for me.

7. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I'm not at all a "cylist". I do have a Trek hybrid, and I try to ride often during the warm months. I always say to my buddy who really is a cyclist (expensive racing bike and all)... "You're a cylist... I'm a bicycle rider".

8. darkwawyer

darkwawyer Member

Mountain bike. I have a full suspension (Univega) and a half susp hybrid (Schwinn)...still sick because I lost my Fuji hybrid and my Columbia roadbike (silly storage company).

I probably knock off about 40 miles per week in addition to jogging. None of the current bikes have nice seats so I don't push it. I was diagnosed as having a torsion [when your balls twist around one another choking one out. The remedy is to loose a nut] once, which hurt like crazy, but somehow they became unraveled while at the hospital. I was super thankful that the didn't have to cut one of my nuts off. Anyway, I haven't gone out and bought a new split seat yet. I just paid out 80 bucks this past week on front derailleur adjustment that wasn't too successful, but I can now use all 3 sprockets on the cranks. I still need to invest in a roadbike. I get tired of those pukes passing me on my mountain bike :smt042

I'm kinda rough on a bike so I'm skeptical about getting another road bike. I rarely road the columbia, but my fear is that I will just tear it up (rims) on curbs. However, I'm competitive and I feel I will get more exercise out of a roadbike with so many people riding here in Philly. There are great mountain bike trails too, but without my ish shifting properly I haven't really started pushing it. My first big/difficult ride with a group is tomorrow. I'm debating on taking the full or half suspension. The full suspension has clipons and I don't have shoes for it so my feet always come off the peddles.