Game of Thrones & GOT Spinoffs

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Max Mosley, May 26, 2011.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So has Ramsay dethroned Joffrey yet as that mofo you can't wait to see die?

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

He's only killed people I didn't like to begin with let it be someone like Ned Stark then we can talk

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

You know he's probably going to kill at least one or two characters you like before it's all said and done. He has to do something to get that Most Hated Crown. :p

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Ramsay is worse than Joffrey because, Joffrey at least had some loyalty to his family.

Ramsay is every bit of the "mad dog" that his father alluded to.

5. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

Exactly Jofferey may have been a punk and an insufferable little shit but he would never have done to Robert what Ramsey did to Roose. Deep down Jofferey did love Robert and was genuinely sad when he died. Ramsey is just sadistic. I mean Joffery might have ordered the death of all of Robert's bastards but he did not stand there and watch with some sock enjoyment as they were killed.

He might not have killed anyone fans have liked yet but he did repeatedly rape Sansa. If the rumors are true though you if you are not hating Ramsey now you certainly will.

Next week maybe be epic with the Tower of Joy flashback we might get the answer to the question we have all been wondering.

6. The Dark King

Joffrey made Stanza watch her father die then his head on a pike. Sadistic as fuck.
    I get why Ramsey killed everyone though. It was to hold on to his position. Remember he was a bastard until then without the ability to hold title or lands an heir would take that away from him. And how was raping Stanza anymore vile than Robert doing it to Cersei
    Arranged marriages in general are pretty much rape until the woman starts to agree.

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I still find GOT entertaining, but my enthusiasm is starting to wane big time as I am STILL waiting for just ONE positive, strong, character who is a Black man. I was mentioning this to some friends over the weekend and one of them replied that "greyworm" was positive, I disagreed, based on his name alone and the fact that he has literally been castrated, although he does seem to be brave.

I know that RR Martin is an old white guy, so im not surprised to see no positive representations of BM in GOT, but it does get old seeing so few on TV.

8. The Dark King

Whoa they castrated grey worm. Totally missed that one

9. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Heck yeah they did he's less threatening that way :smt043 :smt043

10. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

To be fair Martin has FAR more representatives of people of color in his novels than basically any other white writer of the fantasy genre. Some have been represented on the show, some have not been used on the show. A couple of the book's non-black characters were black on the show; maybe a couple of minor black characters in the books became white on TV. There have been a few black characters of some importance in the books who have been skipped over and one who was an old male priest following the Lord of Light whom I believe has been somewhat re-imagined as a hot, young black female for the show (probably for no other reason that to give Tyrion someone to possibly fuck). Still...that said....black folks have a lot less to be upset about in terms of representation than Asians do.

I understand wanting to see black characters of significance, particularly black males, in shows like this. But I hope it doesn't lead to bitterness or to a sense of out-of-nowhere entitlement like I seen with black people at times. I often see this in particular in recent comments by black female viewers; they will express that it is an insult for a show with white leads to not have women of color (which for black women is code for "black females") as supporting characters even if there are men of color who do have supporting roles on those very same shows. Another comment from a black lady I came across stated she does not support TV series in which the female romantic interest of the leading male is not black. Just crazy. Despite a huge increase in the representation of black women on TV over the past five years, black women, I have found, are complaining even more. It is as if the growth of black women representation has had the effect of not satisfying but rather making them never wanting to support any show going forward without a black female character as a or the central figure. Granted this is likely just a minority of black female viewers but I find their voices to be increasingly loud.

As a black person myself I don't ever want to think I can't enjoy a show even without there being important black characters at the center of the storyline. Would I prefer to see such black characters? Of course. But if the show is great and there aren't black folks with a a major storyline I have the choice of not watching it or accepting it for what it is without thinking I'm owed some sort of representation. And frankly I can do without any racebending of characters to appease all demographics. Hell, I noticed just based upon twitter that unlike The Walking Dead, black audiences were late to come around in their love for GoT, in general all but ignoring the show until around the fourth season.

Instead of complaining or griping about what we want to see or what we demand, we should try instead creating great works of art like GoT ourselves. Yeah, I realize there would be industry obstacles in the way if such a great work existed with black characters at the center but nonetheless it has to start somewhere from something. Black writers will have to come up with their own tales and stories and put together a series of books.

11. JamalSpunky

Grey Worm is part of the Unsullied and all of them are elite warrior-eunuchs; all of them are castrated. That was established when they were first introduced.

By the way Greyworm isn't even black in the books so it wasn't as if there was some subconscious agenda to take away his sexuality once they picked a black guy for the role.

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

You make some solid points, to clarify, I dont look for every show I enjoy to have strong BM characters, my favorite show right now is "Elementary" and that has one BM supporting character, but I really enjoy Jonny Lee Miller's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes. That being said, with a cast as large and almost ever-changing as GOT, I don't think it is too much to ask for ONE positive BM character. So far we have had one crass, foul mouthed pirate captain, and one shady, corrupt, and deceitful city elder.

I do agree with your bigger point that we should rely on ourselves for more positive portrayals, which is why I do watch and support Blackish, The Carmichael Show, and I am a huge fan of BBC shows like Luther.

13. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Shows like blackish and the carmichael show will always rear up from time to time. I'd like to see more black writers and directors turn away from drama and comedy and dip their heads into other genres. The biggest issue is the lack of positive BM in fiction(fantasy, scifi, etc.) based series. You rarely see us in the realms of dragons, demons, and monsters it's as if we don't exists in those types of universes.

14. JamalSpunky

You are so right about this. Interesting and leading black male characters are invisible in most genres.

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Actually, no. Everyone he has killed, tortured, maimed or raped has been for his own sadistic pleasure and instant gratification. His old man was trying to get him to be more of a big picture for power person like himself.

Remember Roose Bolton only decided to officially acknowledge him after he had allied himself with the Freys and gained control of the North. With him now the Warden of the North, he wanted an heir to carry on & cement a longstanding Bolton dynasty and reign over the North. Roose Bolton foolishly believed that despite Ramsay being totally impulsive and reckless as fuck, being his son he also was smart enough to soak up the political & tactical knowledge he was trying to drop on his ass in order for him to successful play the game of thrones to make a Bolton rule of the North a reality.

Alas Ramsay's impulsive and reckless nature outweighs any long term thinking abilities that he possesses.

16. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Roose being oblivious to how much danger Ramsay represents is one of the few instances of bad story telling in my opinion. I know it's his son, but if I had a sick fuck like Ramsay on my team, I would walk him into the woods and making look at the flowers while I put a crossbow bolt through the back of his head.

17. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

There's only so much obliviousness one can reasonably assume when it comes to characters such as Ramsay.

Even Cersei knew that Joffrey was a monster, though she still allowed him to have his "reign".

18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I don't think he was oblivious to the danger that Ramsay represented, but more so in denial that Ramsay wasn't as tactical minded as he was. Ramsay has no true allies or loyalty from anyone to keep the power he just seized. He's too caught up in the belief that his sadistic reputation will earned him loyalty through fear. That will only get him so far in the long run.

19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

20. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Last nights episode was a lot more emotional than I was prepared for. :(:smt010