Cell Phone Plans

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by satyr, Oct 30, 2014.

1. satyr

satyr New Member

So after my phone from the 19th century began to die on me, I decided to buy my first smartphone.

[​IMG]

I picked up a used HTC Droid for $40 and $12 a month plan from Page Plus. If you're with Verizon I wholeheartedly recommend them; it's the same network. No dropped calls and clear reception.

For $12 I get 250 or so minutes and 250 text messages. I've used this much in about 30 days because I don't talk on the phone much and text even less. If you need more with a data plan, they're pretty generous for cheap.

[​IMG]

2. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

check out republic wireless.
    $25 unlimited. It is on the sprint network.

3. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Will check it out. I'm on Verizon, I pay $105.95 a month for unlimited talk and text along with 2GB of data which is a total rip off for a single line.

4. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

I'm stuck with AT&T. Every other service is shitty in my little town. On a positive note, I'm grandfathered in with the unlimited data (if I don't change my plan).

5. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

It is. I think nearly every plan offers more data for less?

I've been with AT&T for 12 years and it works for us. $240/mo with 3 phones (til I decide to drop the ex husbands!). Unlimited everything except data which is set at 10G. We come close on data sometimes but we have been able to make it work so far. Kinda expensive but it is what it is.

My sister has one of those no contract plans with unlimited everything and it's $40/mo. Sounds too good to be true to me, but I may look into it when I have the time.

6. archangel

I never quite understand this love of buying over $50 dollar pans unless the reception was bad.

7. FRESH

FRESH New Member

I have similar plan, except that I only pay $120. I have my brother and sister on with me. I suspect it may be regional though.

8. RaiderLL

I would be happy with $50/mo if i had the time to find that plan lol

We all have new phones with the next program so that probably adds $25/mo per line. I called about two years ago to complain that I seem to pay more than anyone else I know with AT&T and the man chuckled and said I had a really outdated plan so he hooked me up with the then-better deal. I'm sure there are even better plans now. Just never have the time to spend 30 min on the phone with them to find out! I keep seeing commercials saying they offer 30G on their family plan (for less than I currently pay I might add lol). I may just have to check it out ;)

9. FRESH

FRESH New Member

Indeed.

Sometimes you feel like you need an assistant just for these type of tasks.

10. satyr

satyr New Member

Out of curiousity what do you get out of having a data plan? It seems that people use it to check their facebook and Instagram. Unless you need 24 hour access to the internet, it doesn't seem worth the additional expense.

11. RaiderLL

I don't do Instagram or a lot of the other social media sites but I feel like I'm constantly reaching for my phone to google stuff. Anything from restaurants, stores, addresses, online shopping ;)...to googling sports stats to confirm if my bf is right or fos about whatever he's telling me at the time :D Between my iPhone and iPad, I use data all day every day it seems.

12. RaiderLL

I totally want a personal assistant. My assistant at work has offered a million times to do some of these time consuming tasks for me but I'm not that boss lol. I have no issue delegating work stuff to her but I'll never be ok with her spending her time on my personal stuff lol (no matter how much I want to take her up on it sometimes :))

13. FRESH

FRESH New Member

I don't give fuck, before I die I'm having a maid, chef, and driver.

14. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Convenience!

15. archangel

Well my plan comes with unlimited so not much I can do.

With the data I can tether or make a hot spot to surf on my computer. I can also make phone calls on the data through google talk.

Why do you need voice or text when you can call or text through data?

16. satyr

satyr New Member

My call and texting needs are minimal, which is why I'm on a low-tier plan. My data question was for fielding why people use it. I use the internet a lot but also like the option of not being on it away from home. Of course I can still hop on with my phone's wi-fi but that's besides the point.

17. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Search on Clark Howard or Consumer Reports for good cell phone plans.