New Marvel Movie (Captain Marvel)

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Vandal, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Vandal

Vandal New Member

(I previously had an account here but lost the password, so I started a new one)

As many may know here, Marvel announced a new slate of movies which included a Black Panther movie and a Captain Marvel movie. For our purposes here, I wanted to focus on Captain Marvel (a white, blonde female) for reasons you will see below.

The interesting thing about her is that in the comics she is in a relationship with James Rhodes, who is currently being played by Don Cheadle in the movies. (for non-comic fans, James Rhodes is black)

Now the movie isn't until 2018, but I will be interested to see if Marvel keeps that relationship in the films:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

The more you know....the more you know....

It's possible to see this happening, especially since they are really hitting hard with the diversity bit.

3. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I read a rumor that War Machine is killed in Age of Ultron. :(

4. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

And it's not a horror movie? :confused:

5. Vandal

Vandal New Member

Somehow I doubt they would kill off anyone - much less get flack for killing off the black man. I heard that he is supposed to play a larger role in "phase 3". If that's the case and they are introducing Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) then it would make sense to put them together. If I were to bet it will probably be no more than playful flirting.

The other thing is that in the comics Black Panther's wife is Storm of the X-men. Since Marvel does not have the cinematic rights to Storm's character, he will need a new love interest/wife.

[I know it is strange to talk about love interests for super hero movies, but they almost always have them]

6. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

1)That relationship isn't important enough for Marvel Studios to care. The general public know next to nothing about it. The general public knows next to nothing about the female Captain Marvel while I'm at it. And how long has this relationship been going on in the comics? Power Man for example at least has a very stable and established relationship with a white female heroine that is justified in being carried over into the Netflix series (both characters will have their own shows).

2)Even if they were considering it they would have to recast the part of Rhodes. Don Cheadle is too old....by the time the film begins shooting he may be over 50 and surely the woman they will pick for the part will be much younger. Besides even when he was younger and still had his hair Cheadle never had the type of looks that studios would look for when considering romantic love interests for a female lead.

3)If Captain Marvel remains white I'm not confident the studio would want their first female lead to have a black male love interest.

7. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

You'd think after all the build up in Iron Man, The Avengers, and Cap 2, Black Widow would have been 1st to get her own movie...especially since Lucy made bank

8. Vandal

Vandal New Member

Agreed. But just wanted to point it out as a possibility though

Perhaps. But Don Cheadle was the love interest for Kristen Bell in a show.

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The show was House Of Lies. Which actress do you think would play Captain Marvel?

10. Vandal

Vandal New Member

I would personally like to see Katee Sackhoff get the role, but she may be considered to be too old (she will be 38 by the time the movie comes out). But her role in Battlestar Gallactica was very similar to the Captain Marvel character.

I have to believe that Emily Blunt would be considered as well. I really like her and she was fabulous in Edge of Tomorrow.

Another strong contender is Yvonne Strahovski. She may even be the most likely to get the role.

With so many superhero movies coming out, just about every major actor under 40 or so will be in a comic movie.

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I thought Jeri Ryan would be a good choice, but she is considered too old. Well, physically, she is perfect. She and Don Cheadle(or Terrence Howard, if he is paid his amount), or even Morris Chestnut could play Rhodes. Katherine Heigl, Piper Perabo or Katherine McPhee could also play that part. Yvonne Strahovski is a good choice. She is from Australia and is very athletic.

12. Vandal

Vandal New Member

I think they want a woman in her early 30s because they want a multi-picture deal. I almost certainly expect it to be either Emily Blunt or Yvonne Strahovski. Katee Sackhoff (who is just a bit older then the other two) is a possibility because she is a fan fav, but I don't expect her to get the role.

With so many comic movies coming out (30 in the next 6 years) I wouldn't be surprised if all three of them got some role in one film or another

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Which means that those in these productions would have to take a chance with auditioning unknowns if they are looking for multi-picture deals. And in Hollywood, the limit is 35 for most women in films. Those women that are over that age have to find projects that are age neutral and those projects are pretty rare. An actress like Sandra Bullock could be working for the next ten years or more if she maintains her looks and is willing to do a nude scene. But Sandra won't do them.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  14. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Problem solved.

[​IMG]

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

And here is your winner. She was in the running to play Black Widow before Scarlett Johansson was eventually cast. She in her early 30's, but will be in her mid 30's come time for the movie's release and old enough to at least get one possible sequel & any possible Avengers sequel appearance in before being considered too old for the role, especially if they use and establish Danvers' military background.

16. Vandal

Vandal New Member

Yes, Emily Blunt would be a coup for Marvel if she gets the role. She would be great. I would still personally prefer Katee Sackhoff. She seems to want the role and she needs one more big, defining role for her career to really take off. At this point, she only has Starbuck.

17. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Blunt has the edge as far as acting roles and recognition to the general non comic/sci-fi movie audience. If Ms. Marvel was only being introduced as a character that would appear in other Marvel movies (War Machine, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon) rather than her own movie, I'd say Sackhoff would probably be a lock for the role. But we'll see what's what eventually with the casting. Marvel may pull someone out of left field for this.

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Makes sense lol

Creepy...when I seen the pilot pic, katee was the first person to come to mind too

I loved battlestar galactica

19. JamalSpunky

Actually is more like she is his love interest on his own show. Doesn't change a thing though. He has the looks of a character actor, not a leading man, certainly not the type that the ladies in general would thirst over. And he is too old considering that the actress they cast for Captain Marvel is likely to be in her early thirties or under.

20. JamalSpunky

Ummmm....not sure anyone wants to see Sandra go nude at this stage of her life. Ten years ago, fifteen years ago? Maybe.