The Guaranteed Basic Income Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by The Dark King, Feb 11, 2014.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

3D printers will pretty much wipe out most of the manufacturing jobs that will be left. We are not there, yet. But that day is coming. Solutions like this will be needed to keep life, as we know it here in America, a float.

2. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

good lord, ain't that the truth. People shouldn't be allowed to say the word "lazy" 'til they're ready to acknowledge the hordes of people shuffling around lazying it up in cushy jobs they got because they were connected.

that "handouts breed laziness" bullshit is just judgemental finger-pointing.

But anyway, rather than GBI, I think the solution would be

1. 4-day work week

2. Take full advantage of internet technology to educate people for whatever kind of jobs are open. It's ironic that education is still soooo expensive given that courses can be posted right online, classrooms are virtually unnecessary, testing and accreditation are easier, etc. etc. The gubmint should invest more in training and retraining people for the kind of jobs that are open, and then mandate the four-day workweek just because all this damn technology is supposed to make life easier anyway. People have been talking about that shit for years -- when exactly is it going to happen? Where are the societal dividends? India? The phillipines?

3. And speaking of foreign countries, the gubmint should also clamp down on the damn "multinationals". They're shipping jobs overseas, hiding their cash in off-shore tax havens, selling worldwide, all the while rallying the stupids to destroy the social safety net and any progressive ideas in the name of "patriotism". It's a serious con. Tax them bastards! -- and dump the funds into infrastructure (especially technological infrastructure) and education.

4. Mandate somehow that a full-time wage should be enough to live on

5. Single-payer health care

GBI is kinda like communism. Been tried before, won't work because of basic human nature. You can't give something for nothing. It just doesn't work, for all kinds of reasons.

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you have said and the idea behind GBI isn't to eliminate work altogether just the necessity to work to actually live. Basic needs shouldn't be a privilege. I do think people will still strive to work for things they want like ipads and tablets. We are a consumer driven society that won't change, I'm personally tired of the way we ignore the utterly desperate and unfortunate as if everyone in a bad situation is there because they made bad choices or are bad people. The stark reality is so very greedy shitty people have and are creating this society of desperation and we as people should recognize this and seek to help our fellow Americans. It could easily be me and you one day.

4. The Dark King

This this a thousands times this. One thing that burns me the fuck up is when people whine about affirmative action giving unfair advantages to people who haven't earned it yet stay fucking silent about people who get jobs they didn't earn through connections. That number far outweighs affirmative action beneficiaries but hey lets continue to ignore the bigger problems and beat down the needy cause its easier.

5. The Dark King

6. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

Cutting the billions we spend on 'the war on drugs' is a start. Even better,how about the billions the govt gives away in 'ghost money'?

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/04/brief-history-cia-ghost-money-afghanistan-karzai

7. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I do think C class drugs should be decriminalised, things have progressed with drug issues now ie such as legal highs.
    No country is fast enough to keep up, everytime one is criminalised it's replaced with a new one.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Well let them smoke it in jail. Sounds like you underestimate how far some people will go to feed a drug habit. Let the crack industry grow in America, and crime will increase exponentially. Next thing you know you are in a lead fight at 2am in the morning simply because someone seen you shopping at a high end specialty store. Criminals rarely target strangers, but let the crack industry flourish and I guarantee that dynamic will change drastically. Too many people are not trustworthy enough as it is, last thing we need is for them to start smoking crack.

9. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

The crack era came and went. Even if it was decriminalzed,I don't think we'd have some New Jack City crack empire type of shit in these days and times. Crack is an old people drug,not many young people getting hooked on it like people were in the 80s

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'll just start managing my security system thru my phone and keep the long guns loaded if it becomes legal. No worries except for the fact we may have more politicians smoking it. :smt043 On another note have any of you guys seen how they smoke in Seattle now that weed is legal? I went to some block party down town last year and everyone was. :smt033:smt033:smt033

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

12. The Dark King