Social Media hails Baltimore Mom who caught her Son Rioting

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bliss, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

It's not really about teaching your child to riot or not, because most parents wouldn't.. it's more about if you discover your child instigating or participating in something like that, what you as a parent do about it.

For example, this tweet of a call to arms was spread to many Baltimore High Schools....it cited the Ethan Hawk movie Purge..which advocated lawlessness...and urged them to go out and Purge Baltimore.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...more-riots-spreading-message-crime-legal.html

It would be hard as a parent to know about it, or to stop it reaching your kid. But once you knew, you reach out/track your kid to make sure they are safe or don't get caught up.

Some kids, no matter your best intentions as a parent..might run with the flock. That mob mentality is powerful. Not agreeing with it at all, just examining it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Well said, throwing rocks at Police is NEVER a good idea and not an effective way of protesting. Organizing a rally, working to spread the news to keep the name of the officers and those in charge front and center and held accountable. Lobbying the Mayor and Governors offices, those are just a few constructive ways to protest and make a difference.

While I applaud the Mom, for going down there to stop her son's actions, I agree with arch that a better raised kid would have never been down there. Hear me clearly, i'm not saying that kids will never make mistakes or bad decisions, but there can be a big difference in the magnitudes of those mistakes.

We have a long sad history in this country of people getting killed in riots, and throwing rocks/instigating/agitating against the police in public (even when the police deserve it) is not at all intelligent.

Lastly, I do think this video went viral because it plays into the stereotype of the violent, abusive Black parent that cant influence their thug child without physical abuse.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. K

K Well-Known Member

I agree with Loki on this.

I think there is something to the mob mentality argument; however, again it comes down to what's instilled. There are more kids who did NOT get involved in it all than those who did. I think the more important questions becomes why do some do not. That needs to be looked at just as much as the reasons some do.

In regards to the comment about serial killers and rapists, it's not the same conversation at all. This situation has the mob mentality/buildup going on. No one is out amping someone up promoting them to rape or kill.

I think overall there are a few key factors: parenting, personality, environment, and brain development, mental health.

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Certainly agree that the bold par above happens Ra, but this is where CHARACTER and a strong sense of self comes in. These are the things that parents can play a BIG part in terms of instilling these values in their kids. For me I was/am still lucky enough to have two great parents in a loving marriage, who taught my brother and I strong morals and values and to always use our heads no matter how strong the peer pressure.

But as a boy, what really kept me on the straight path, was knowing the love and support I had always received from both and not wanting to disappoint either one of them, in addition to a HEALTHY dose of fear and respect for what my pops would do to me if I ever did something crazy stupid. IMO boys especially need that STRONG male role model in their life who walks the walk as well as talking the talk.

5. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Wtf no one knows shit about how she raised her kid in BALTIMORE of all areas, yet they're criticizing her technique?

:smt043

'Good' parents raise kids who do awful shit all the time

In the end, YOU are only the captain of your own soul and no one else

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Agree and disagree here Petty, of course there can be situations where you have great parents doing a great job and the kid turns out to be some kind of maniac. That does not change the fact that there have been numerous studies as well as plentiful anecdotal evidence that good/involved/loving/consistent parenting leads to productive, law abiding children...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16012256
    SUMMARY:

Recent scholarship demonstrates the significant, enduring, and protective influence of positive parenting practices on adolescent development. In particular, parental monitoring, open parent-child communication, supervision, and high quality of the parent-child relationship deter involvement in high-risk behavior. Authoritative parenting generally leads to the best outcomes for teens. Clinicians should find opportunities to discuss evidence-based parenting practices with families. Future research should focus on the development and long-term evaluation of effective parenting interventions.

Nobody is born knowing how to captain their own soul, they have to be led/shown and taught the right way to do it.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Looking back, my mother would say this if any of us did something really bad, "I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A GOOD KILLIN!"
    When mom said that, she meant business. My dad wasn't around, but if he was, he'd say," I'M GONNA TEAR YOU UP!"
    These days, kids of their times are not worried about these things because they feel that they have all the answers(which they do not). The take full advantage to enjoy their youth by any means necessary. Their battle cry: YOLO. You only live once. I think it is fine when you're on your own and out of the house. But under the roof of parents, all bets are off.
    As it was said in the film Yojimbo: The Bodyguard, "Kids these days have all gone mad."
    Being a parent is not easy and is a lifetime responsibilty. Sooner or later, these kids will understand that, too.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I actually disagree on this part. There probably isn't a mom from any culture in this world that wouldn't have viscerally done the same, and she is actually being applauded for SAVING HER son, not seen as abusing him.

I was in a Rite Aid once and heard and saw this woman come in yelling "where is he? Where is my son??". Her teen son had shoplifted and she publicly railed on him for embarrassing her, that she didn't raise him that way and how he wanted for nothing in life, and he was gonna get whupped at home for it. People understood her anger, you know. I totally did.

9. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

But if I beat my child in public for stealing I make headlines for child abuse. Lol @ America's double standards. I'm sure it's coming. Today, she's super mom. Commended for her actions. Next week, she's making headlines for child abuse.

10. K

K Well-Known Member

Yes.....the comment will be - see this is why this boy was going to do violence, he learned to be violent at home. There's proof, it's on the video, the mom getting violent with him.

Is there maybe some truth to that?

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Nah. She pulled his mask off and slapped him a few times as he tried to walk away and not come with her.
    More like, if that was a cop smacking him, it would be deemed abuse, lol.

He might sue his mom, though.
    For public humiliation. :eek:

12. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Babes if I smack my child in public I'm going straight to jail.

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Everyone knows what's best for everyone else's kids, haven't you heard

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Wow, really? I understand punching or beating the crap out of a child - straight to jail, IMO..but a slap? Not in Philly... not in my hood.

(Not in Greece, either. My Greek culture is well known to slap.) I luckily never was by my parents.

15. AlmostThere

AlmostThere Active Member

Exactly. It also plays into the stereotype of the overwhelmed Black female single mother who is overwhelmed trying to take care of one of her out of control male offspring without the help of his absentee male parent.

Of course assuming that this is all real. My BS meter is pinging.

16. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i agree with loki, kincha and few others heavily. more likely than not a good stable loving environment with sound rules will trump alot of crap.
    it doesnt matter if dad or mom is in or out of the house the kids need stability.

im not gonna bash moms for going out there and laying hands on stupid.

17. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I am going to agree with Bliss...this mom could have stayed at home after seeing her son...instead she decided to intervene...I would have done the same damn thing...in her eyes, she is thinking her son is out there with a mask on acting a fool and going to get himself killed...

Abuse? Seriously? Open handed slap to a kid that towers over her...not so much!

I applaud her for taking action:smt038

BIG mistake not sending kids to school and putting all the schools on lockdown

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You really nailed it here...especially the lobbying. That's the real activism that brings change and/or justice. Gray's family are very upset because they had a March in the works and are furious with the rioters for ruining that.

They said, "Hesterday was supposed to be about Freddie's funeral. His life!"
    2,500 people attended his funeral. Civil Rights dignitaries attended and spoke. All overshadowed.
    Their prepared peaceful March this week was to further highlight Freddie's death and police brutality. People were listening...

Not really any more, because some punks stole that. They stole any progressive direction it was meant to take...but now won't. A burnt looted city has become the story..and the thing is, defining changes are achieved when you have the public's sympathy, not their disgust and fear. MLK taught the world that truism .

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

This really should be about Freddie, his family and what they want because they're the actual victims, but who cares when there are cars to be flipped and churches to burn

If the families of the people killed by cops aren't rioting, why the fuck is anyone else?

20. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

So Lips, if you saw that same woman and son at your local grocery store given a calm settled environment, you'd still applaud her? I assure you others wouldn't.