Is This The Most Racist Commercial Ever?

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by samson1701, May 28, 2016.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I think the die -hard anime fans don't look at the subtleties in anime characters. These characters are white in appearance but have Japanese names, like in shows like City Hunter, Speed Racer(or Mach Go-Go), Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Captain Harlock and many more. There was a manga called Slam Dunk. It was the story surrounding a high school basketball team in Japan. One of the players is a black guy and the rest is white. The funny thing is that they have Japanese names. I think it was an anime series and it is on DVD.

The animated film Blood: The Last Vampire, the characters all were Japanese except for two black male characters.

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

it seems that way

3. chamber

chamber Active Member

Many less diverse populations tend to be a bit less sensitive to other races.

4. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I think the Japanese names don't get changed for Western audiences when the international version is dubbed due to cost or oversight. I wonder if those names have any significance in the Japanese language.

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

If you look at the anime show Star Blazers, which is Space Battle Cruiser Yamato in Japan, the names of all the characters were changed.
    Like Derek Wildstar(Japanese name, Susumu Kodai), Captain Avatar(Captain Juzo Okita) and Desslok(Japanese name Dessler).

It's not unusual for the American distributors to take some license to alter for the American audience. Honestly, if I was watching that show or others like Gigantor(Japanese title Tetsujin 28) or Speed Racer(Japanese title Mach Go-Go), the names wouldn't have mattered because I would be to much into the story even though it was dubbed.

Peter Fernandez had a dubbing studio that dubbed many foreign films for the English speaking markets before he acquired Mach Go-Go. He saw it and he had a good feeling about it. And the rest is history. Corrine Orr, who did the voices of Trixie, Speed's mother and Spritle is still around and doing the voice of the Snuggle teddy bear.

I think that in the 90's, western fan accepted the Japanese names. I think the Japanese had no problems with it whatsoever because it is still anime and it is theirs, like Godzilla.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  6. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Well....its China.

7. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

The Italian version and the chinese version were both using race to sale their products. The italian version was less offensive because it wall all about adding some color, nothing negative towards the white guy. The chinese version seemed to be saying black needs to be clean and if you understand the whole skin bleaching thing that unfortunatley some black ppl use, you'll understand how that was offensive.