So...Are we gonna talk about the Michael Strahan & Kelly Ripa controversy?

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by ColiBreh1, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

This has been going on for a few days & I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

What happened? :confused:

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Michael Strahan is leaving "Live! with Kelly and Michael" to be a full-time co-host on "Good Morning America". Kelly Ripa is upset that he's leaving & feels betrayed that he took the job without talking to her about it first. (Keep in mind that Strahan doesn't leave for GMA until the fall.)

Kelly is so upset that she's hasn't shown up for "Live..." since the day it was announced (I think it was on Tuesday). Strahan had to host the show by himself (on Wednesday) because Kelly no-showed. Erin Andrews started filling in for Kelly Ripa today (Thursday).

4. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

She's acting like the bitter side chick who finally got the boot. I'm on to her lol.

Good for him. Bigger and better :smt023

5. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

I have no idea why she's throwing such a bitch fit. He has no obligation to her at all.

6. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I get why she is pissed, but I don't think Michael Strahan is at fault. He was just doing what anybody would do if someone offered them 8 figures to change jobs. The blame lies in the network for not telling Kelly in advance.

7. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

This.

He is doing what is best for him and his family. Man is married and has five kids. Obviously America loves him he's a very likable guy and he got a great break which he probably deserved (don't watch him on live so I wouldn't know to be able to say anything more).

She is throwing a tantrum for nothing and quite frankly I think she's making herself look foolish.

He was offered a better deal and he's not even supposed to start until September he doesn't owe her anything and neither does the network to tell her in any advanced timeframe than just prior to the American public and their audience found out.

8. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

And the answer is is:??????????

9. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think him letting out the bag when Disney didn't want him telling anybody this early showed that he wasn't trying to be malicious and uncaring. The truth is Strahan had like three Jobs, he was becoming like a Ryan Seacrest, what If one of the reasons was to slow down as well? Plus Disney, GMA, and the fans and so many others loved him on GMA. He is a ratings grabber, this is a business decision not an emotional one. I'm sure Kelly Ripa has made business decisions that weren't popular as well, everybody that wants to be successful does.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

This has happened before with Regis Philbin he had many co-hosts on his show before Kathy Lee Gifford(his wife Joy often joined him on the show). Kathy Lee took over the show in a short time.

11. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I think part of Strahan's success was the chemistry he had with Kelly Ripa.

I don't think if he was hosting that show by himself it would have been nearly as successful.

Michael is betting on his own star appeal when in fact he might just be an ensemble type of talent who works better off another host like Kelly.

We'll see how it goes but I wouldn't be surprised if his ratings drop in GMA.
    I know he'll be a co-host on GMA, but his fans loved seeing him with Kelly, not some random whoever.

If I was Kelly I'd be pissed too.

It's like you're a part of a singing duet and your partner suddenly leaves you hanging on a concert tour to go do a solo album.

Michael IMO should have told her in private what his plans were.
    I'm surprised Strahan has the type of contract that lets him walk from Kelly and Michael without any kind of financial penalty.

Kelly should find another Black male co-host, or maybe a woman.

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I heard an entertainer had went thru something similar and she was told by the executives not to tell her partner. She felt trapped in who she should be loyal to

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

14. MilkandCoffee

Just curious but why just a bm or a woman?

15. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Because......

16. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Maybe Kelly can capture the same IR magic with another BM co-host.:smt057
    Choosing a woman would just flip the script for her show and create something new.

17. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Probably a WM

18. MilkandCoffee

If they get a female replacement, I hope it's someone with a completely different personality than Kelly's to avoid the show from looking like another chatty female talk show.

19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Probably a gay male. Or she could be a co-host on Ice T's show.

20. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Maybe just get rid of her altogether