New Hollywood "IT" Guys

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by darkcurry, May 16, 2016.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Are we on a change in the film world? Right now judging by their success, popularity and "heartthrob" status with the ladies(in and out of hollywood) it looks like these are the new hollywood "it" guys on the rise in hollywood:

ELBA JORDAN BOYEGA BOSEMAN
    [​IMG]

Others as well such as Anthony Mackie, David Oyelowo, Mehcad Brooks, Mike Colter ect.

Not to mention they are IR friendly and are being cast in IR roles especially Idris.

2. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Of those I only hear women talk about Jordan and Elba.

3. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

I think that Boyega and Bosemen will become bigger names in the coming months.

There has been universal praise for his Black Panther portrayal in the Captain America movie and he is signed on for another 4 movies. Disney also seems to want to invest in his character so much so that they are going after Lupita Nyong’o to be his costar in his stand alone film and they just signed the aforementioned Michael B. Jordan to star along side him as well.

John Boyega is going to start get more praise outside his star wars role this year as well. In the Uk he is already known as a talented young actor but US audiences have not seen him outside of Star Wars but his upcoming film with Tom Hanks and Emma Watson will change that.

4. darkcurry

Boyega gets love, they see he resembles a young Denzel Washington.

[​IMG]

5. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

When "42" came out a few years back I did my little experiment by going to twitter, putting Chadwick Boseman name in between caps and pressing enter...which essentially means "search". I was able on a Monday evening to see just how much traffic Boseman, a complete unknown at the time, had generated. It was a lot. A lot more than I was expecting considering the time I did the same "research" on other, less attractive black actors not too long before. And the most interesting info that I came across is by going by the pictures/avatars of the tweets by females who were responding positively to Boseman, the majority of the ladies salivating over the thought of him were non-black, mostly white in fact. Of course 42 opened at #1 at the box office and arguably had just as many white ticket buyers as black, possibly more. Throw in a large number of Asian women and Hispanic chicks and Boseman became an example of the a true black leading man, one who could appeal to ALL races, not simply primarily black women.

A couple of years later I kinda tried the same thing for "Get On Up" but there was far less activity. This was because that movie was not nearly as successful at the box office and the few people who checked it out seemed to be exclusively black. Based on this small sampling I could at least see however that more black women were discovering Boseman and liking what they saw.

You can guess that I tried this little test again for Captain America. This time I did it twice...once on the Monday following the international release and the second time at week later on a Monday following the American release. The twitter response was HUGE, too much for me to go through otherwise I would be sitting for an hour or hours just trying to go back and track it all. You had straight guys who were really impressed with Boseman's performance as BP and you had women and gay men not only appreciating his acting skills but also slurping all over the guy. From all countries (thank God there's a translation application) and all races you had people, mostly women swooning. And in almost very case that I came across these people were only seeing Boseman for the first time not seeing any of his previous work before. He was getting near Chris Evans and Sebastian Shaw love from social media. To make a comparison many folks became quite fond of Anthony Mackie after seeing him get his biggest exposure from CA: Winter Soldier, but he didn't get anything close to the love Boseman is getting now. What is happening to Boseman on social media is somewhat similar to what happened to Oscar Isaac after the most recent Star Wars.Despite doing years of good work fans, particularly women, didn't really "discover" him until The Force Awakens and now he has become a sex symbol to women of all colors. Boseman has been put into the position to possibly achieve a partly similar result. Which just shows you how important exposure on a large scale. Boseman has the goods. Of course my girlfriend already told me that when she saw "42."

I just wished success for Boseman had happened ten years earlier but nonetheless he nay ten to fifteen years ahead of him as an acknowledged sex symbol

As for Boyega his popularity has skyrocketed too ever since Star Wars and there are many women who do find him hot. But it isn't a near-consensus as it is with his co-star Isaac or Boseman. Some simply think he is adorable and lovable and that is enough for a large number of female fans to be captivated by. Some simply seem to think he is "okay." I kind of compare him to Matt Damon. He's a good-looking dude I guess with enough charisma to light up a room, but he isn't the type that most women automatically swoon over just by seeing him for the first time. Nonetheless he too has greatly benefited from being placed on the highest stage where most moviegoers could be introduced to him for the very first time. There is just no substitute for exposure.

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Chadwick Boseman was excellent as James Brown. He got the voice and dance moves down perfectly.

Boseman was also in a film called The Kill Hole as a veteran hired to kill a rogue ex-Marine.
    I am looking forward to seeing his portrayal of The Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War(after the rush dies down. I don't like crowded and noisy theaters).

7. darkcurry

Well said and observation. :)