Is This The Most Racist Commercial Ever?

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by samson1701, May 28, 2016.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]Xq-I0JRhvt4[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/racist-laundry-commercial-china-qiaobi_us_5747ef13e4b055bb1171cc5d

2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

LOL.

We can wash the black off??
    I did not know that.:smt003

But seriously from a Western point of view, China in many ways culturally is living in the 1950s.

You wouldn't think so, but I've read several vlogs of Black American ex-pats living in China and let's just say Chinese men are very insecure about BM dating Chinese women.

You would think in country of over a billion people, having a single BM be one of the main protagonists in a advertisement wouldn't make much sense since there are so few BM there.

IMO someone is projecting their own insecurities about BM and trying to 'warn' Chinese women to stop creeping.lol

Notice how at the beginning of this commercial there is some sexual flirting going on between the Chinese woman and the BM, even though it was a set-up on her part.

That was not by accident IMO.

China is a weird country.

They have extensive business and mining interests in Africa, and one of the consequences has been that a percentage of Chinese men living there have taken African wives.

A fucked up soap ad like this will be put on Chinese television, and yet they can't get enough of American pop culture and they still idolize athletes like Kobe, Jordan and Lebron.

For example, China will air a racist commercial like the one in the OP, yet they will feature another ad with a IR BM/CW who are a couple in the commercial encouraging young professionals to choose renting an apartment over buying a house;
    (ad clip below is only 1:20, the other 4 minutes are commentary where a Chinese woman explains in english what the clip is about.)
    [youtube]FAhBTsGp234[/youtube]

There's some generational shit going on in China and to just say ALL of them are racist is a miss.

That said I don't know if I could live there for a long period of time.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

There was a thread years back of a commercial was similar to the one in China.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I remember a Range Rover commercial in the 80's. It shows a beautiful black Range Rover stopping at the center of the screen. Suddenly, it is doused with a heavy torrent of water. In an instant, the black paint is washed off to reveal a shiny coat of white paint. The Range Rover now white, drives away. Some people thought it was racist, but Land Rover Range Rover issued an apology for the ad. It was never shown again.

The Reebok shoe commercial featuring a group of men from an African tribe putting on the shoes and playing basketball. At the end, one of the men said something in his language the translation said that he liked the shoes. In reality, after a careful review, he really said that the shoes were too tight and were uncomfortable.

5. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Italy had a commercial where the opposite happened and no one gave a damn. So why care when the balls in the other court?

Asians prefer lighter skin this has been known for a long time, they used to put bird shit on their face to look pale as possible.:smt102

6. goodlove

goodlove New Member

you beat me to it. I should post it.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

A lot of anime characters, men, women and children, appear to be white, yet have Japanese names. I figured because Japan was heavily censored by the U.S. after WW2, they had to come up with creative ways to entertain people in Japan. Akira Kurosawa once made a film called The Record Of A Living Being. It was set during the bombing of Hiroshima. But Kurosawa used a heatwave in the summer to represent nuclear devastation.

When anime came to America, it was, indeed, different from other animated shows on television. And to appease the U.S. viewers, the characters appeared white. There was nothing Japanese about them. The common trait was in the larger eyes because the eyes tell a story about the individual character.

I have known many Asian females and they have often dated white men. Some have dated Latino men. I knew one young woman who dated a friend of mine who happened to be black. My sister-in-law's cousin is married to a woman from Okinawa. They met when he was in the Navy.

I guess it all depends on the woman in any Asian country and the guy she meets. Like everything else, if they click, they click. If not, oh, well. Life goes on.

8. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

The Italy version of this commercial was an exact copy by China, the difference was that in the Italian version it was an ad for a color safe detergent, not a bleaching detergent.

It's one thing when the 'joke' in a commercial broadcast for a majority White audience, the White male character is stuffed into a washing machine and comes out as a ripped, handsome Black man.

When Blacks don't even really qualify as a minority population in China, featuring a BM in a commercial as the 'dirty one' who gets washed and comes out as a clean cur Chinese, there's a different message being sent to the viewer.

The Italy commercial gave brothers props, even including at the end 'color is better'.lol

[YOUTUBE]4d0uYfyzFhI[/YOUTUBE]

The Chinese version was just offensive.

Not the most serious thing in the world but it did reflect general cultural attitudes in that country.

9. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

While the commercial is offensive as hell, I think it's important to note that Asian light skin fetish comes from a couple of sources. 1) the very obvious post-colonial white supremacy effect and 2) a pre-European contact antipathy toward the peasant class/caste as unattractive, with dark skin being an indicator of laborer/peasant status.

10. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

There is a whole book devoted to Africa being China's second continent and how Chinese businesses and its government has sent nearly a million Chinese workers, almost all of them male, to African countries for work-related purposes. Not a surprise that they don't really send females. So you have a bunch of Chinese guys over there with a decent income who hook up with black chicks. I wonder if those African men get insecure of resentful over this. It is almost a godsend in some respects for young Chinese men considering the government's law to limit one child per family meant that there are not nearly enough Chinese young women to go around for Chinese men to mate with.

11. JamalSpunky

And how did such association come about BEFORE contact with Europeans, huh? Some folks like to blame whites for these attitudes but Asian nations such as Japan, China and India as well as many Arabic nations have had these attitudes towards dark and light skin tones, as you pointed out, long before interaction with Europeans.

12. JamalSpunky

Many Anime lovers insist that those characters are not white at all but are instead Asian and dismiss anyone as ignorant for not being able to see that. I think those people are deluding themselves.

13. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

They had this before contact with Africans, too. Agriculture labor is seen as low status work, so it has an intra-Asian, as well as a post-colonial anti-black component.

As for their current woman shortage, they have no one to blame but themselves with that stupid traditional male child worship. Good luck diversifying that gene pool, nimrods.

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

why would a bm take part in that commercial?

also the commercial can be viewed as sexist too?

15. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

BM is probably living abroad and needed some extra cash and/ or something to add to his resume.

I don't see the sexism.

16. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

G,I remember this NYT piece years back on those anime characters and the Japanese use Asian features for bad people etc. Yes,the West ate it up since it does look like them.

17. goodlove

goodlove New Member

let's look at it this way if a man had done what that woman did....the feminist would be out in full force.

18. blackbrah

blackbrah Well-Known Member

Many Chinese have a strong hatred for blacks and worship whites. What else is new?

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The molecular formula for water: H2O

20. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

A good example was the obsessed security guard and Rumi in Perfect Blue. They were very Japanese in every way.