Ice Cube’s Son to play him in N.W.A. Biopic

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bliss, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

O'Shea Jackson Jr. has been cast to play his famous rapper father in the planned film about N.W.A., "Straight Outta Compton," The Wrap reported.

The Universal project will tell the story of the hip hop group's rise to fame from the streets of Los Angeles through the band's breakup in 1991.

While sources told TheWrap of the younger Jackson's involvement, the studio would not confirm the casting.

Ice Cube, who was born O'Shea Jackson, previously told The Guardian that he'd like to see his son play him in "Compton."

"I've been trying to get that pushed along," the rapper said in a February interview. "Just wanna make sure that he's the best man for the job."

He's co-producing the film along with former N.W.A. cohort Dr. Dre and deceased rapper Eazy-E's widow, Tomica Woods-Wright.

[​IMG]

Although Ice Cube is well known for his roles in films such as "Friday", "Ride Along" and "Barbershop," his son still has yet to prove his acting chops.

The supportive dad had to convince studio executives that Jackson Jr. could rise to the challenge, according to TheWrap.

The biopic "will be a dramatic story that encompasses hip hop, dope-dealing, Reaganomics, AIDS, LAPD, rap feuds, FBI, PMRC, the Parental Advisory stickers on the records … all of it," Ice Cube told entertainment news site.

Gangsta rap pioneers N.W.A. sold 10 million records, despite agitating critics with lyrics glorying drugs and crime on songs like "F-k tha Police" and "Gangsta Gangsta."

F. Gary Gray (The Italian Job) is set to direct from a script from 'World Trade Center' scribe, Andrea Berloff.

[​IMG]

------

I would definitely see this!

2. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Damn, looks like angry Cube, 91 style. Right down to the classic eyebrows. I've been waiting so long for this movie. Wonder if lil Eazy is gonna play his dad like he said years ago. Wonder how accurate the story will be.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Guess not....

Lil Eazy-E
    "My Dad Would Be Outraged
    I Was REJECTED in N.W.A. Flick"

7/2/2014

Lil Eazy-E thinks Ice Cube has BETRAYED the wishes of his former N.W.A. crew member by casting some no name to play Eazy-E rather than his own flesh and blood.

Lil Eazy tells TMZ ... his dad absolutely would have wanted him in the starring role. As Lil put it, "I am my father. I look like him. I sound like him."

And this part is especially galling to Eazy-E's son ... Ice Cube cast HIS own son O'Shea Jackson Jr. to play Cube.
    The way Lil Eazy sees it ... neither he nor O'Shea are seasoned actors, so why not cast both?

Dr. Dre's son is in the same boat ... he didn't get cast either.

Eazy-E died in 1995 after being diagnosed with AIDS.

Lil E is really disappointed, but in his dad's honor he's going to support the film and help promote it.

[​IMG]

4. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

He probably didn't want to cut his hair and get a Jerry Curl.

5. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, lil E doesn't sound like his dad, but whatever. Saw a pic of the dude playing Eazy doesn't really look like him but how many short actors look like him?

6. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

He wouldn't need to cut it. Eazy had pretty long hair too. The curl just made it look shorter. I'd like to see the curl make an appearance though.

7. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Lol. I remember I had one. I looked like Lil Chris on boyz n da hood.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I wonder what the (gangsta) Rap game would have been like if he had lived. Would he have gone the route of Dre and Ice Cube or stayed true and kept the genre fresh.

GF, the curl better make an appearance, lol.

9. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Ha! Nice.

10. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Eazy was a businessman and was always looking for new talent, and not just gangsta rap. Luckily, he brought us Bone Thugs among other acts right before he died, he was dipping into the Chicano rap scene. He also discovered the black eyed peas before they were called that. Honestly, Eazy would probably be just like Diddy or Jay Z, putting out Rhianna n shit because while he was big on gangsta rap, he also had no problem trying to find crossover artists and original talent.

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i think cube was a better businessman.well a tad bit...he saw how the manager was fuckin the group....thats why they split. im not sure if they cooled out after that.

oh the best diss song ever made in the history of rap is no vaseline by cube. he tore them up

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Interest facts @ the bolded. I didn't know that. Makes me now even more intrigued to view the back story on Easy. Hopefully with his widow involved in production, we will get the full story on his positive/entrepreneurial side. Not sure we will though since she is collaborating with Cube and Dre- I just hope they KEEP IT REAL and show their own faults with Easy, not just his.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Ive Cube debuted the Trailer

[HDYT]Fo5Xcw7Lqr4[/HDYT]

It looks ok, I would like to have seen some more dialogue snippets, since we already know the dramatic side of NWA. However, I do understand they have to catch the attention of younger crowd of today with trailers, who are lured by violence in cinema.

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

lets hope the trailer isnt better than the movie

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  15. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Leave it to Eazy-Ecpt.com to tag the shit out of the video with it's big ass logo. Can't wait for the movie.

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I was thinking the same thing..can't deny that's his kid

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I hope so. No re-do on this one.
    Lol, have no idea who he is but his tag didnt escape me either. His was the best in clarity.

18. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

It's a forum I used to post on. I had a many posts on there as I do on here. It really has come a long way over the past decade.

19. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member