Woman Wears Camera To Show The Harassment She Endures Walking In NYC (Video)

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by qwils86, Oct 28, 2014.

1. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/hidden-camera-harassment-woman-nyc-video/817565/

[YOUTUBE]b1XGPvbWn0A[/YOUTUBE]

In response to the common claim that catcalls actually don’t happen that frequently, or that women are somehow “asking for it,” harassment nonprofit Hollaback! took to the streets of New York with a hidden camera.

For 10 hours, actress Shoshana B. Roberts walked around the city silently. In that time, she received over 100 comments from men as she passed by. Some even followed her for several minutes, taking Roberts’ silence as a “yes.”

Street harassment makes most women feel unsafe.

Whether a stranger physically encroaches on your personal space or simply comments on the way your body looks, it’s uncomfortable to be eyeballed in a public place while trying to go about your day.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Too late someone beat u on this

3. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

FUCK!!!!!! lol alright i'll go post my thoughts in that thread.

4. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Yes, creepy dudes behaving like dogs trying to sniff women's butts definitely make a lot of women feel unsafe & uncomfortable.

When I'm out & about minding my own business, I don't like fools up in my space or in my face. I don't appreciate comments on my appearance or my walk or whatever, being told to smile, catcalls/whistles, being leered at, or being bothered by some no-class, disrespectful, wannabe mack-daddy fool who won't leave me the hell alone to go about my day in peace. The majority of the dudes in that video were the creepy butt-sniffing dog types, and there was nothing flattering about their remarks or their behavior.

Yeah, there are a few women who like that type of attention, but more of us prefer men to carry themselves with class and who know how to approach a woman without treating her like she's a hooker.

FYI, anyone who thinks a woman is somehow "asking for it" for whatever stupid reason (like what she's wearing for example) is full of shit.

5. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

A New York actress who volunteered to appear in a public service announcement depicting street harassment was threatened online soon after the clip debuted Tuesday, according to Hollaback, the organization which commissioned the troubling film clip.

"The subject of our PSA is starting to get rape threats on the comments. Can you help by reporting them?" @iHollaback tweeted Tuesday.

The plea worked, said Hollaback deputy director Debjani Roy: "Our community is reporting the threats on YouTube and they're being deleted."

Shoshana B. Roberts, whose bio describes her as "a bubbly and bold New York City-based actress with a black belt," was harassed more than 100 times in a 10-hour period during filming, according to the video.

The video showed shows men catcalling Roberts, who was garbed in jeans and a crew neck shirt, sharing any number of "Damn!" "Smile!" and "Hey Baby"s. One man followed her for five minutes.

The simple one-minute plus documentary was the brainchild of Rob Bliss Creative, who reached out to Hollaback!, and filmed with the aid of a camera embedded in a backpack on a person walking ahead of her.

"The rape threats indicate that we are hitting a nerve," said Hollaback director Emily May. "We want to do more than just hit a nerve though, we want New Yorkers to realize -- once and for all -- that street harassment isn't OK, and that as a city we refuse to tolerate it," she said.

6. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

And if she wasn't getting catcalls she'd be in her onesie, scarfing down a tub of Ben & Jerry's, watching "Bridget Jones" on Netflix and wondering where it all went wrong

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

LOL, you do understand that there is more to women's lives than caring if she is cat-called, followed, harassed, touched and having men walk "with her" as she goes about her day?

I mean, surely you don't want every time you step out, over one hundred random stranger women following you, and/or lewdly commenting out loud about your big fat cock, hanging balls, and juicy fat ass, right?

8. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I'm sure this comment sounded very nice in your head but I don't think men are going to complain about women stating that a man has big fat cock lmao...

I just don't.

9. blackbrah

blackbrah Well-Known Member

There was 2-3 incidents of harassment in this video. Most were acts of politeness.

Where have we gone wrong where saying hello to someone is harassment? Feminized society.

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Haha Archie, you big-cock swinging swollen-scrotum man, I guarantee you that after the 100th time, x7 days a week as you go to your job, grab a coffee, sit in the park for some quiet time, eat your lunch :smt118 ....you would most likely tire of it. Because no human likes to be objectified "all the time".

11. archangel

Sometimes they need to make it clear what is freedom of speech and what isn't.

There is a price to freedom of speech. I've argued that we should follow the Australians

[youtube]JoztbwJt41A[/youtube]

The woman was arrested for her comments.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Oh Arch, YOU HOT PIECE OF BIG-DICKED ASS!!! :tonqe: ...you're switching topics here.

13. archangel

I would not and flattery will get you no where madam.

I will agree that if it was done in the work place. I would not want that but at home. lol:p

14. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True,there is another thread about it.

15. archangel

I am doing a lot of lmaorofl lol

any how, I think part of it is a freedom of speech thing. I will agree that the woman in the video has nothing to do with women being harassed but I just want them to define where harassment begins and where freedom of speech ends.

So, I'm not arguing that making oral comments is right. but it is a right. sucks but it is. This is simply to say as long as it is a right. Those kind of comments will never go away.

16. archangel

There are at least three of them so far. It was amazing. Two of the three are within 2 mins of each other.
    someone needs to place them all in one thread.
    I hated that they were trying to make it a white thing. Trust men will hollar at any attractive woman.

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

What about in the street though? By a hundred strangers? In front of everyone As you went about your errands?

18. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True A,put any attractive woman of any race and you will get catcalls from tools who had nothing to do but just watch like a pack of wolves. No doubt they have no jobs.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Look, I'm not saying a polite hello, or polite, respectful compliment isn't appreciated here and there, however many times, men use lewd comments or sexual comments as a gateway to talk further.

And if you don't respond, some men complain. Like in the video. Did he want her to stop and thank him for telling her she looked hot? I think he did.

Not saying women need to be rude (I will nod my head but no longer thank men because it often emboldens them to approach and try to engage me further, when I really want to just be on my way). This is especially true for us women in relationships.

Maybe its better if a man sees first if a woman makes eye contact or smiles , rather than just assume its ok to sexually comment to a woman.

ps: And 'I'm glad you laughed, and understood I was merely making a point, lol ;)

20. archangel

I agree on a moral level with you but I just don't see how any one stops it. It is freedom of speech. People get to say what they want no matter how disturbing or offensive.

p.s. This thread has been the highlight of the threads today visited by me today. lol