devon still or caitlyn jenner who shpuld get the espn award

Discussion in 'In the News' started by goodlove, Jun 13, 2015.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

2. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

i'm being lazy who has received the arthur ashe award in the past? what was the story behind the award

i don't mind that jenner is getting an award but i really don't think we need to turn it into a three ring circus...getting a vanity fair cover is HUGE

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Its an award that its awarded to individuals contributions that transcends sports. Its awarded to people who face adversity , peril and stand up to their beliefs while dhowing strength.

Michael sam
    Jimmy valvano
    Robin roberts
    Pat summitt
    Howard cosell
    Ali
    Dean smith
    Billie jean king
    Pat tillman

To name a few....

4. K

K Well-Known Member

There's a bit more to it

"Arthur Ashe Award

The Ashe Award is one of the most prestigious in sports. Recipients reflect the spirit of Arthur Ashe, possessing strength in the face of adversity, courage in the face of peril and the willingness to stand up for their beliefs no matter what the cost. The award is inspired by the life that Ashe lived, using his fame and stature to advocate for human rights, although, at the time, those positions may have been unpopular and were often controversial. From speaking out against apartheid in South Africa to revealing to the world his struggle with AIDS, Ashe never backed away from a difficult issue, even though doing so would have been easier. Winners of the Ashe Award strive to carry on Ashe's legacy in their own lives - - inspired by those who do so each day. "

In many of the media stories they are really focusing on the courage aspect and it's referred to as the Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Thanks....now we can talk intelligently. This gives good insight on whats up.

6. K

K Well-Known Member

I think they are giving it to Caitlyn Jenner just to hype the award.

I don't know that the other one is the best candidate for the award or not. The article GL posted states they will be given the award that is specifically for cancer.

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I agree its all about hype....
    t wss odd that he announced his coming out and yhe next week he has the award.

Maybe next year but now?

If it wasnt devon it couldve went to the girl college basketball player that had cancer who played till her death ...(i believe thats how it went down)

8. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

LBGT issues are the current most popular cause célèbre. So it doesn't surprise me that they would give this award to Ms. Jenner.

9. hellified

hellified Active Member

and then you go on to list all the awardees who happen to be athletes or associated with athletics...

Caitlyn Jenner should not win an ESPN award simply because SHE is not an athlete of note nor an athlete at all. BRUCE Jenner won gold 40 years ago and was a sports analyst. HE has athletic achievements of note.

Caitlyn Jenner is a different person with a different identity wholly. As such that person has NOTHING do to with sports in any way shape or form. Caitlyn DID NOT win the decathlon in 1976. Caitlyn is at MOST just a newly emerged reality tv show personality with about as much connection to the sports world as Rachel Dolezal.

[​IMG]

No Caitlyn Jenner should not have been awarded anything from ESPN.

10. K

K Well-Known Member

Recipients

1993 Jim Valvano (Award Video and Speech)
    1994 Steve Palermo
    1995 Howard Cosell
    1996 Loretta Claiborne
    1997 Muhammad Ali
    1998 Dean Smith
    1999 Billie Jean King
    2000 Dave Sanders (posthumously)
    2001 Cathy Freeman
    2002 Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Tom Burnett, and Jeremy Glick (posthumously)[1]
    2003 Pat Tillman and Kevin Tillman[2]
    2004 George Weah[3][4]
    2005 Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah and Jim MacLaren
    2006 Roia Ahmad and Shamila Kohestani
    2007 Trevor Ringland and David Cullen from Peace Players International
    2008 Tommie Smith and John Carlos
    2009 Nelson Mandela
    2010 Family of Ed Thomas
    2011 Dewey Bozella
    2012 Pat Summitt (Award Video and Speech)
    2013 Robin Roberts
    2014 Michael Sam
    2015 Caitlyn Jenner

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

If you never heard the jimmy v speech....you need to.

He was dying of cancer at the time

12. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I watched his documentary...tears...tissue...outloud crying...i could not control myself...it was like watching "brian's song"

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Aah man. I never the documentary.

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

The award going to jenner was suspect and now i see why my spidey sense went up.

They are putting the awards show on cbs and advertising jenner getting the award.

We all knew something was up.

15. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Someone posted an article on Facebook that ESPN was approached by the Kardashian clan to give "Caitlyn" the award and in return both would get exposure and it would be part of "her" reality show.

The article that was posted was posted on a conservative website, so I said that before I believed it, I needed it to be independently verified.

But knowing that stupid family, I wouldn't be surprised if that story turns out to be true.

16. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I wouldnt doubt it. I dont know what categories were around the year before but i wouldnt doubt they gave made up last minute awards to the riteful people.

If he had got it next year...then cool. But this year. Come on now.

17. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

That award should have gone to Devon Still.

I don't care if the LGBT issue is currently popular or not.

The struggles Devon and his sweet daughter (not to mention the rest of his family as well as the other thousands if not millions of people who battle cancer daily) are more deserving than bullying and "be who you are", in my opinion.

I am sorry, but I'm not sorry.

18. goodlove

goodlove New Member

The child or lauren hill. LH is a cillege girl who played basketball and had cancer. She played the game despite the cancer but later died late last year. She played up till her death if im not mistakened.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Friday Night Lights’ producer Peter Berg slams Caitlyn Jenner’s ESPYs courage award

Berg criticized the choice with an Instagram post in which he shared, without comment, a Facebook photo by Main Stream Media Sponsor Boycotts that featured a photo of Army veteran Gregory Gadson, who played a role in Berg’s “Battleship,” alongside one of Jenner.

It says: “One Man traded 2 legs for the freedom of the other to trade 2 balls for 2 boobs. Guess which Man made the cover of Vanity Fair, was praised for his courage by President Obama and is to be honored with the ‘Arthur Ashe Courage Award’ by ESPN?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rg-slams-caitlyn-jenners-espys-courage-award/

20. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Wow! Admittedly, I did not read further into the award nominations or their stories. I was only responding to those mentioned in the OP...

Now THIS man Mr. Gadson...HE is MORE THAN deserving and definitely more fitting (IMO) for the award.

I agree whole heartedly with Mr. Berg

Hill also. She deserves far more recognition and credit...not to mention she died later and it would have been extremely fitting to have given the award to her in an even further measure to honor her courage and her life.

I in no way admonish the LGBT message or Jenner however...

This would be incredibly sickening if the agenda was for more personal gain and media exposure for some sort of reality show or bio.