Celebrity R.I.P.s

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ra, Jan 28, 2017.

1. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

Loved Tom Petty. Very sad.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Loved his song with Stevie Nicks. My favorite.

3. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

He wouls be sorely missed.

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

He had a lot of catchy songs, distinctive vocals, simple straightforward melodies, shame he went too soon, gotta wonder if his heroin addiction did damage to his heart back in the 90's.

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Tom Petty? Man, his music was unique. Especially, the song Free Falling.

May he Rest In Peace.

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Monty Hall of Let's Make A Deal died. He was 96. It was interesting that he hosted a game show where every day was Halloween.

May he Rest In Peace.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I recall a skit on Saturday Night Live when two cast members portrayed Tom Petty and Bob Dylan(David Spade and Dana Carvey, I think). When they spoke, they mumbled and it was hilarious. But the mumbling ended when they sang a duet of Free Falling.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Soulthinker

No doubt that was hilarious. They were part of the Travelling Willburys.

9. Soulthinker

No doubt it could had.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Comedian Ralphie May died. I saw him on a few BET comedy shows. He was hilarious. He was original. He left this world at the age of 45.

MAY he Rest In Peace.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Benson star Robert Guillaume dies aged 89 following battle with prostate cancer
    24 Oct 2017

[​IMG]

• Robert Guillaume passed away at home Tuesday in Los Angeles
    • Achievements included a Tony nod for playing Nathan Detroit in the first all-black version of Guys and Dolls
    • Was the first African-American to sing the title role of Phantom of the Opera
    • Won the Emmy for outstanding supporting actor in a comedy series in 1979
    • Won Emmy for outstanding lead actor in a comedy series in 1985 for 'Benson'
    • He was the first black actor to win the award

12. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wed, Oct 25

Fats Domino, who shaped the infancy of rock and roll with songs like Blueberry Hill, Ain’t That a Shame and I’m Walkin’, has died at 89, New Orleans' WWL-TV and the Associated Press report.

Mark Bone, chief investigator with the Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, coroner’s office, told the AP that the rock pioneer died Tuesday.

WWL-TV anchor Eric Paulson received word from the family early Wednesday morning confirming his death. His daughter said he was surrounded by family and friends and died peacefully.

Domino was born Antoine “Fats” Domino Jr. in New Orleans and helped infuse that city’s barreling rhythms into the rock & roll mix.

Domino had his first pop mainstream smash in 1955 with “Ain’t It a Shame”, though as was so often the case then a watered-down version by a white singer – in this case, Pat Boone, who changed the title to “Ain’t That a Shame” – got more radio pla

Domino would go on to score nearly 40 Top 40 singles, and was one of the first 10 honorees of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

He remained a lifelong New Orleans resident – or thereabouts – surviving Hurricane Katrina but losing most of his memorabilia, gold and platinum records and pianos in the 2005 disaster.

Also lost was his National Medal of Arts, presented by President Bill Clinton. President George W. Bush personally delivered its replacement

One of the more familiar rock & roll presences on television, the portly, gregarious Domino, invariably seated at a piano, appeared frequently on the musical and variety shows of the Golden Age era – programs hosted by Steve Allen, Perry Como, Ed Sullivan and, of course, American Bandstand. Many years later, his song “Blueberry Hill” would become a frequent punchline when sung by Ron Howard’s Richie.

Domino also performed in two wildly influential rock movies of 1956: Shake, Rattle & Rock! and The Girl Can’t Help It, films that spread the news of rock & roll throughout the country and abroad.

The Beatles and countless other teens were entranced and called to arms, or at least called to the music.

Credit: UsaToday

Link

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Robert Guillaume and Antione "Fats" Domino.

My favorite Fats Domino song is Ain't That A Shame. Walking To New Orleans is also a great song,too.

Robert Guillaume did a Perry Mason movie in which he played a publisher of a scandal rag and was murdered. All his ex-wives became suspects(a few were white). Then he did a play called Purlie, a musical set in the post Civil War south. Sherman Hensley was also in that cast.

But he will always be remembered as Benson on Soap and Benson and as Rafiki in The Lion King.

May these great men Rest In Peace.

14. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"I wouldn't say I started rock and roll, but I don't remember anyone before me playing that stuff." - Fats

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Actor John Hillerman from Magnificent, P. I. has died. He was 84.

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Awww...sorry to hear about Della. :(
    Heard about Earle Hyman.

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Della Reese. I remember seeing her for the first time Sandford And Son. She had a great singing voice. She was at home on the show Touched By An Angel with Romy Downey. She was even an ordained minister.

Earle Hyman. I knew that the voice of Panthro was a black man. He did a great job on The Thundercats.

May they both Rest In Peace.

19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

David Cassidy from The Partridge Family died today. He was 67. My favorite song that he sung was I Woke Up In Love This Morning.

May he Rest In Peace.

20. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Jim Nabors, better known as Gomer Pyle, has died. He was 87.