Amma Asante getting dragged on Twitter for her latest movie. (Black girl falls in love with Nazi.)

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Frederick, Aug 9, 2018.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

As long as it involves black women or really any other kind of relationship besides a black man and a white woman. As we have shown in the IR couples throughout history thread there are quite a few and intriguing stories about black men and white women romances. Two of the most popular Interracial Books are

White Women, Black Men: Illicit Sex in the Nineteenth-Century South
    [​IMG]

and

Black German
    [​IMG]

But what do we get? Black women falling in love with (reformed)racist. lol.

2. darkcurry

Yes.

But not all lighter skinned and light eyed black people have mixed ancestry.

3. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

This book looks interesting.

4. darkcurry

^^ You have to find the version written in english online if you want to read it. I read it and it is fascinating, heartbreaking and I admired this family's strength.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Light skin women get casted in nearly EVERYTHING. Colorism is very real.

6. darkcurry

^ White men's favorite kind of black woman.

7. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

More like the most acceptable form in which white Hollywood and white society can accept a black person in an onscreen interracial relationship. The Not So More Tragic Mulatto.

8. JamalSpunky

Funny how you would think light skin black men would get equal or near treatment, but that ain't the case.

9. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

You sure? The stereotype is that WM who are into BW prefer slim darkskin chicks.

10. The Dark King

My dude look who gets casted for roles as the lead or pretty black chick.
    Kelly Rowland is pretty and sounds amazing yet Beyonce got all the attention. Hell look at music in general and all the female artist who have been popular the last 15 years.
    Outside of Black Panther and the occasional Viola Davis role when do you see dark skin women in the forefront.
    It is so weird how so many can't see it when its plain as day.

11. The Dark King

Exactly!!

12. darkcurry

Not really if that was the case then there would be a lot more IR going on through the years in film and TV but just with light-skinned brothas.

These are some of Hollywood's top brothas(they come in all shades):
    Idris Elba
    Michael B. Jordan
    Sterling K. Brown
    David Oyelowo
    Chadwick Boseman
    David Boyega
    Omari Hardwick
    Mike Colter

They love both now. But that is mostly the non racist and non color struck white men.

Let's ALL be serious now. Dark skinned black women have been getting there due. Viola Davis, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, Naturi Naughton, Imani Hakim, Tika Sumpter, DeWanda Wise... and Serena Williams & Gabby Douglass are the most popular black female athletes. Some of the colorism against darkskinned black women is legit, the rest of it is playing the victim to get ahead and justify some of their thoughts on black men. Don't fall for it. Not to mention a lot of BROWN SKINNED women have been very successful as well. Black women will be fine in the entertainment industry because they have The Black Media and mainstream on their side and OPRAH! lol.

Black women and really a lot of women of color do still have very little women who have one the best actress in a leading role Oscar. That's legit. And not too many black female superheroes out there but you already debated and schooled me on that there were remember? But not many with leading roles. That's still legit. But they are in a better position to change things for them than we are.

13. The Dark King

You got me. I got nothing.
    I just want to point out beauty standards still lean toward lighter skin black women but there's a lot of truth in what you said.

14. JamalSpunky

First of all I would argue that almost everyone on this list is of a shade or two darker than the average African American male, the lone exceptions being Jordan and Hardwick. I respect almost all of these dudes and think most if not all have leading man looks, but they don't represent a true diversity in complexion/shade. And only one of them, Hardwick, could even pass the infamous bag test. To be honest I don't even think of Hardwick or Colter being a "top brotha" in Hollywood because neither get truly substantial roles in mainstream Hollywood or elite independent films. Here's a more complete representative list of the top black guys in Hollywood today:

Elba
    Denzel Washington
    Samuel L Jackson
    LaKeith Stanfield
    Chadwick Boseman
    Michael B Jordan
    Mahershala Ali
    Sterling Brown
    Chiwetel Ejiofor
    David Oyelowo
    Don Cheadle
    Anthony Mackie
    Will Smith
    Jeffrey Wright
    JOHN Boyega
    Jamie Foxx
    Forest Whitaker
    Andre Holland
    Daniel Kaluuya
    Jason Mitchell
    Corey Hawkins
    Jessie T. Usher
    Morgan Freeman
    Brian Tyree Henry
    Yahya Abdul-Mateen II
    O'Shea Jackson Jr

And on the rise....

RJ Cyler
    Jacob Latimore
    Jovan Adepo
    Stephan James
    Justice Smith
    Kelvin Harrison Jr

My criteria for this list comes down to : amount of work, regularity of getting work, significance of role (leading, co-lead, key supporting role) and the type of films one gets cast for (mainstream Hollywood films or tentpole movies and award-winning independents films are most desired).

If black people can be classified in roughly three dozen shades on the spectrum then the list i put forth above only covers about a dozen flavors. Hollywood has a more narrow view of what a black man should look like and because of the black men that have gotten most of the work tend to be within a five to six shade range. Anyone outside of that like Will Smith, Jeffrey Wright, Andre Holland have been outliers. Lighter skin men are pretty much absent from this list, suggesting Hollywood has no idea what to do with them. This is pretty much opposite to black actresses as I will make clear later.

Sadly that means guys like Devonn Terrell, O.T. Fagbenle and Ray Fisher are still on the out looking in despite their talent and looks.

By the way the two names I intentionally listed last (Justice Smith and Kelvin Harrison Jr) have jumped t the head of the the black male actors getting work and both of them are light skin interesting enough. Harrison in particular is getting work everywhere. He may be the only young black actor who is keeping up with the young black (light skin) black actresses who are getting loads of opportunities.

I was limiting the discussion to actresses. I do realize though how dark skin black women are playing the victim card and how they are shaping the debate. For example any negative feedback about movies starring white males and light skin black women as love interests doesn't center over the notion of black men being shut out of the picture entirely (with either black women or white women) or doesn't dwell on why is the presentation of IR exclusively portrayed as a white guy-black gal thing. No, instead the pushback is for less light skin women and more dark skin women in those parts opposite white dudes. Black men are inconsequential. Black women are so good in making every issue about them that they can make the entire debate about increasing the representation of a portion of the black womanhood, far more prevalent on social media and blogs than increasing opportunities for ALL black men in general. And just a few days ago I saw a tweet from a black woman praising new black films like Sorry To Bother You and Blindspotting but taking a shot at both films for not using any dark skin black actresses. I get it.

That said the black actresses who are in demand don't tend to be that dark or "too" dark if you get my drift. Listing Naughton and Hakim is pretty much embarrassing, friend. Nobody is in hot pursuit for those two for major movies or even TV shows. One could argue the same for Sumpter who doesn't get that much work. Wise may be at the beginning of something big but she doesn't have a lot of movies under her belt at this point. Gurira and Nyong'o had to use the clout of Black Panther just to finally get their due and maybe they will turn that into great film careers. But they still won't be the go-to black ladies for those filmmakers that look to cast black female love interests for huge white male stars. Of course Viola goes without saying but she is THE exception and it took her a long time to get to this point. She had to earn it the hard way by being great at her craft in movies, TV and theater for over two decades. And now she has the position of the One Darkskin Black Actress At A Time slot that was formerly occupied by Whoopi Goldberg and Angela Bassett. I would include Zoe Saldana in that slot too but the industry seems to think of her as Latina as much as they do of her as black (as if the two things have to be separate).

But who are the black actresses who seem to be adding credits to their IMDB page every other week?

Zazie Beetz. She is fucking everywhere, getting almost more work in film than her male co-stars of "Atlanta" combined.
    Zoe Kravitz
    Zendaya
    (seriously what the fuck is up with all of these Zs ?)
    Gugu Mbatha-Raw
    Storm Reid
    Kiersey Clemons
    Tessa Thompson
    Ruth Negga
    Sasha Lane
    Yara Shahidi
    Amandla Stenberg

These are the names I can remember off hand. Let me not forget the crop of other light skin actresses coming over in what seems like waves from the UK. I barely know these actresses if I know them at all. One example is Hannah John-Kamen who was in the Ant-Man sequel, the Tomb Raider reboot and Ready Player One that all came out this year. Chick just got off the boat and leapfrogged pretty much every young dark skin black actresses so far as scoring opportunities in MAJOR films. Anyone suggesting darker black women are getting anywhere near these chances in the film industry is mistaken.

15. darkcurry

^^ And as I alluded to before White men LOVE lighter skinned black women. Always have. I mentioned the Quadroon Balls here, I hope you brothas did research on that. Imani Hakim was an accident because my fam was talking that Gabby Douglass story in the living room while I was in the kitchen at the time I wrote my post. lol. My fault.

But my point in listing those dark-skinned ladies are they WILL be just fine. Especially if they play that victim card which they already are, they will be JUST fine. Dee Rees, Shonda Rimes, The Black Media and Mainstream Media got there back. So be careful when sticking your neck out for them. Because even though this is MAINLY hollywood casting these lighter skinned ladies you know it's ALWAYS black men's fault to here them tell it.

16. JamalSpunky

I'm not sticking my neck out for any of the black actresses regardless of skin tone. I was simply dishing out some facts and corrections. I think a few like The Dark King has been kind enough over the years to voice some sympathy over these matters but I'm not magnanimous enough to work myself up about the plight of black women in film, TV, media, sports or any other non-essential field. My time and energy is monopolized by how badly or well black men are faring. However that doesn't mean I can't recognize certain truths and patterns. This whole topic started because Coli was in my opinion wasting time over the absence of light skin chicks like Amandla in Black Panther.

I don't have to do any research on Quadroon Balls. I learned about that shit when I started reading the A Free Man of Color mystery series. However from what I know those things were primarily limited to antebellum Louisiana. It wasn't some nationwide or even Southern phenomenon unless I'm mistaken. And if that's the case perhaps I will need to do some research.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  17. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Black people come in 36 shades??lol

I think I've only seen about five or six distinct shades of Blackness in my lifetime.

18. JamalSpunky

You need to check your eyes. I can't recall where I read it but I not too long ago came across a text that dealt with this as well as the countless color patterns to describe black skin tones used primarily by whites when trying to identify black individuals from the slavery era up through Jim Crow. It was definitely more than six.

19. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

But you said 36.

I've only ever seen about 5 or 6 shades of Black people in America.

Sudanese Black, very uncommon IMO among Black Americans.

Dark skinned. My and TDK and Blair Underwood's complexion.

Brown. Michael B. Jordan and Ice Cube.

Light brown. Ciara.

Then redbones and their miscellaneous subcategories.

I'll even allow for two more categories in between my 5 major categories before you get to light skinned.
    That still doesn't get you to 36. You just knocked me upside the head when you said there were 3 dozen known shades of Blackness.lol

20. The Dark King

That's funny I would call Cube light skin not as light as Tea but light skin none the less. Outside of 50 "they" don't seem too comfortable with black men of a darker variety being angry gangsters on screen. They love us contrite and gentle like dude from Luke Cage or dude from Black Panther or Michael Clark Duncan past a certain shade it becomes too scary boss

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List