Amma Asante getting dragged on Twitter for her latest movie. (Black girl falls in love with Nazi.)

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Frederick, Aug 9, 2018.

1. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I always thought Dre was the light skinned one, but he and Ice Cube are about a shade apart.

Light skinned BM for me usually begin with someone like Michael Ealy/Will Smith range and anyone lighter.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

That's fair

3. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

36 Chambers of Wu-Tang

36 shades of Black

DEEP

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. RicardoCooper

Finally some sanity

If you want "light-skinned" DJ Yella's DJ name is ACTUALLY HIS SKIN COLOR

5. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember.

Oh, this is sad when you ACTUALLY think Michael B Jordan and Ice Cube have the same skin tone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cube has always had a bit of a yellow tint added to his brown. Jordan never looks as "light" as Cube can come across in certain lighting.

Ditto for Underwood and DMX. DMX has more red undertones than Underwood.

The variances are far more than that. Your problem is that you are probably one of those dudes who can look at a whole store floor of blue shirts and describe the colors only as dark blue and light blue. You don't see the nuances in between, the subtle differences or even the ones that should stand out as being more obvious. Just think of how many actual listed types of blues there are. Now just imagine how many different tones of color there are for African Americans considering the hue can go from the darkest black to a close to creamy white in some cases. And think of all the different shades and/or combos of brown, red, yellow, beige, caramel, cocoa etc. in between.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  6. RicardoCooper

Everybody's "light-skinned" to dark-skinned people. Most of the guys you've mentioned were and are NORMAL BLACK PEOPLE including Ealy and Smith. Two black parents, the whole nine. Guys at my high school looked like them and even lighter, and were not considered exotic in the least

Some of you are out of your minds saying Cube and Dre are "light-skinned." No, as I stated before DJ Yella was light-skinned.

Y'all sounding like sistas now trying to parse color, that's a female low self esteem thing, IMO

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a woman trying to pic a shade of make up or nail polish.

8. The Dark King

So who is light skin who is your litmus?
    What are normal black people?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

As a dark-skinned person I kind of agree. lol. But I get your point, were not suppose to fall for the colorism thing we call it out!

10. RicardoCooper

Light skin to me ranges from Jesse Williams to Shemar Moore to Shaun King what we old folks used to call HI YELLA Actual biracials with a white parent

Like I said dudes like Dre and Cube are your average. Most brothas you meet in urban America esp. where I grew up are their shade give or take a little melanin (INCLUDING ME). To call them "lightskinned" is ludicrous

I don't consider brown skin "dark skin" I consider dark skin dark skin. Like African black is dark skin to me, like Djimon Hounsou undiluted by the white man

I've seen your pics and don't consider you particularly dark you're pretty average IMO which is why your obsession with colorism is perplexing to me. Besides women like darker men, esp. white women (contrast). Nigga be talkin like he from the Serengeti and shit pffffffff

This is one man's subjective opinion not backed up by facts, nor have I walked in your shoes, nor is it a personal attack of any kind

(Gotta put the disclaimer for the sensitive among us)

11. andreboba

You can be light skinned and have two light skinned Black parents. I never thought light-skinned meant biracial.

Michael Ealy is light-skinned, Coop. He sometimes looks a little browner, but I know he was pale as a baby.
    [​IMG]

I agree though, growing up I never saw much distinction between 'Brown' skinned and dark skinned Black folk. You would see siblings from the same family with the same parents have the exact sane color variation.

12. RicardoCooper

I think a lot of dark skinned people (not all) ghettoize themselves on purpose then cry when they don't get the same results as other people who are out there living life and making connections. You see it a lot with BW who complain they don't get chose like other races of women, but you don't have to go to any particular part of town or a particular kind of club or listen to a particular kind of music, or present a certain way to find those women.

Another thing is if you're dark and busted of course you'll have problems. If you're dark and handsome or pretty, you're good, same as everybody else. Rashida Stroiber on YouTube whines about being rejected because she's dark but no, she's busted in the face

I find this colorism among black men to be extremely feminine tbh

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. RicardoCooper

I acknowledged that a lighter person can have 2 black parents. I knew families like that growing up

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

It's weird af. If you have spent time around black people, you can't see it any other way.

15. The Dark King

Weird to y'all maybe because you have lighter skin but a real issue none the less. Seriously read up on colorism its a global issue. In India they have a group of dark skin people they call untouchables over 100 million people treated like absolute garbage for no other reason than them having dark skin. Same thing with how Dominicans treat Haitians they fucking behead them for that shit. In my parents home country the common saying is "light is right brown stick around black get back" it effects what kind of jobs you get regardless of ability. If you look at the Jamaican political system and media finding dark skin people is like finding Waldo same in other Caribbean and Asia countries. Its weird to me that you guys can all agree that your skin tone effects the way you're treated juxtapose to white people but some how intraracially its completely unimaginable just a bunch of cry babies with no real issue.
    And like I've said before (to answer Coop) regardless of my personal circumstances doesn't mean I can't see what happens to others. This current system and recently the tax cuts are something I benefit from. Doesn't mean I can't call out something when its totally unjust and very messed up. I don't live my life with the attitude that as long as I'm good its all good. If people had that attitude we'd still be in chains or worst.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

LMFAO if you think white people see a difference between cube, Dre and Michael b Jordan. Or if they see him as being light skin.

Or if you think the average bm puts this much thought into splitting hairs in the color spectrum.

Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  17. andreboba

In the United States I think the Black man's struggles and challenges are universal. What shade of Black you are is mostly inconsequential.

If you can do the work, you can do the work. If you have the skillset, your exact complexion doesn't matter.
    It might be different in other countries, but what really separates Black people in America is education and socioeconomic background, not skin color.

18. The Dark King

Maybe not between those three but there is/was a benefit to being lighter skin. Where do you think shit like the brown paper bag test came from? There's studies on shit like sentencing based on skin tone where darker defendants get more time than lighter ones. You can easily see this with black women when we look at certain corporate jobs. Again just because you personally don't have to deal with it doesn't make it untrue. I implore you to read My Kind of People. Interesting book on this very topic I read in college.

19. The Dark King

But even if you have the skill set in a lot of arenas your skin can hold you back. Not saying it has to but there is a premium on lighter skin.

It is incredibly eye opening to hear you guys talk and makes me want to re evaluate my thoughts on patriarchy and what some black women deal with. It seems when people don't have to personally deal with something myopia is almost inevitable because we all on this board understand that our skin tone comes with obstacles when we compare it to the larger American fabric but some how we believe it plain stops at black and white that black people haven't fully adopted and absorbed aspects of white supremacy that puts a premium on skin tone is just black delusional. But no ones mind will be changed so I guess we can move on.

20. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I have met and some of those type of dark-skinned dudes, I have seen more light-skinned dudes with that attitude. But I have not met or seen enough for me to say that about dark-skinned dudes. I have noticed we get a lot of love from pretty ww busted or not! :) lol.